Boston Bruins Ranking the Best and Worst Trades in Franchise History

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

member 96824

3 years after the trade no players, picks, and ONE playoff series win to show for it. Peter Chiarelli, Cam Neely, Don Sweeney, Scott Bradley, and the rest of the gang gave Tyler Seguin, on one of the best contracts in the league, away for free.

To add to it, they didn’t trade an expiring 30 goal Loui Eriksson at the deadline in a year they missed the playoffs.

Miss me with the hearsay and rumors please.

Last edited by a moderator:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
The Peverly deal has to be an HM at least, given that he played well for a cup winning team.

Reactions: BBB24

member 96824

The Peverly deal has to be an HM at least, given that he played well for a cup winning team.

I dunno if I’d rank Rich Peverley for Blake Wheeler and Mark Stuart in the win column trade wise. Certainly not in the top trades ever. It worked out for them in 2011..but Blake has more points than Alex Ovechkin, John Tavares, Evgeni Malkin, etc. the last 5 years.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I dunno if I’d rank Rich Peverley for Blake Wheeler and Mark Stuart in the win column trade wise. Certainly not in the top trades ever. It worked out for them in 2011..but Blake has more points than Alex Ovechkin, John Tavares, Evgeni Malkin, etc. the last 5 years.

But you can argue that they might not have won a cup without Peverly.

I think it’s why we don’t often see people in here lamenting how good Wheeler has been since leaving.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Winning the Cup looms large when evaluating a deal.

They crushed the trade to acquire Esposito and won two Cups in large part because of him.

They win the Neely trade, knock on the door, but never win one.

Then you have a deal like Kaberle where he isn’t everything you hoped he’d be when you acquired him, but you win a Cup. Makes it harder to evaluate.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Winning the Cup looms large when evaluating a deal.

They crushed the trade to acquire Esposito and won two Cups in large part because of him.

They win the Neely trade, knock on the door, but never win one.

Then you have a deal like Kaberle where he isn’t everything you hoped he’d be when you acquired him, but you win a Cup. Makes it harder to evaluate.

Kaberle was a difference maker in the cup run. He played every game and was able to get the puck out of the zone consistently. He also led the defense in points.

He didn't have the impact that Chia expected, but he was a contributor. Chia got his white whale, but at a steep price with a 1st and a 2nd (and a Joe Colbourne who seemed to have decent upside at the time). This always kind of felt like a bit of Chia doing Burke some face-saving after the way the Kessel trade up. I have to imagine a 1st and maybe a later round pick would have done it.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida

It's nice they won the cup after getting him, and he was a solid contributor, but giving up a #4D in Staurt and a guy with Wheeler's upside is a hefty price.

If the puck bounced the other way in a half dozen instances in the playoffs, especially the game 7s, not a great trade.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida

3 years after the trade no players, picks, and ONE playoff series win to show for it. Peter Chiarelli, Cam Neely, Don Sweeney, Scott Bradley, and the rest of the gang gave Tyler Seguin, on one of the best contracts in the league, away for free.

To add to it, they didn’t trade a 30 goal Loui Eriksson at the deadline in a year they missed the playoffs.

You omitted Mrs. Jacobs in that list. Rumored to be a big force behind that trade.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
First time posting, long time lurker.

for me one of the best trades in franchise history is Dennis Wideman and I believe a 1st for Nathan Horton and Gregory Campbell.

Recchi for I believe Karsums and Lashoff was big too.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Without thinking too much:
Best
Acquiring Espo, Hodge and Stanfield
Neely trade
Rask for Raycroft
Wesley for 3 1sts
getting Oates for Janney and Quintal is a good one too

Worst:
Thornton
Seguin
Dryden
giving up McEachern for McLeary (i think it was)
Gonchar at the deadline was a bust too

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

for me one of the best trades in franchise history is Dennis Wideman and I believe a 1st for Nathan Horton and Gregory Campbell.

Welcome to the jungle....we have cookies in the GDT....:welcome:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The second deal was a blockbuster and would forever change the fortunes of the Boston franchise. The Bruins very reluctantly surrendered 22-year-old defenceman Gilles Marotte as the key player in a six-man transaction with the Chicago Black Hawks. Also going to Chicago was centre Pit Martin and minor league goalkeeper Jack Norris.
schmidtMiltBOS.jpg

Coming back to Boston were three players whom the Hawks were altogether too eager to dispose of. Tall, lanky centre Phil Esposito was the key for new Boston general manager Milt Schmidt. “Espo” had centred a line with Bobby Hull and Chico Maki, and was the seventh-highest scorer in the NHL in 1966-67. However, Blackhawk management heaped huge amounts of blame on Esposito’s wide shoulders following their semi-final defeat at the hands of eventual Cup-winning Toronto.

Esposito, it was felt had the wrong personality and was missing the needed drive to lead a team to playoff success. The Hawks felt he was too slow and too soft, and lacked finish around the net. Little did Chicago GM Tommy Ivan know, an offensive volcano was just below the surface, and an eruption of goals and points was only a few months away.

Reactions: Spooner st

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Espo was traded to NYR partly out of spite but Sinden knew Orr was probably done and Brad Park would be insurance.

Harry was enranged by a victory dance Phil did after a late third-period goal in one of the worst losses in B's history. First round in 1975 was best 2 out of 3 and the Bruins in Game 3 totally dominated Chicago........but lost.

BOSTON, April 11 (AP)—Tony Esposito, the Chicago goalie, atoned for an opening game humiliation with a spectacular performance tonight as the Black Hawks defeated Boston 6‐4 and eliminated the Bruins in the preliminary round of the National Hockey League playoffs.

Cliff Koroll and J. P. Bordeleau scored two goals each. Esposito kicked out 52 Boston shots. He had allowed seven goals in an 8‐2 loss in Boston Tuesday night. Tonight he had 19 saves in the first period, 18 in the second and 15 in the third.

Keith Magnuson and John Marks were the other Chicago scorers. Marks also had two assists in a hustling performance as Chicago shocked the Bruins for the second time in 24 hours sin the decisive game of the three‐game series.

Phil Esposito completed his 1974–75 season by scoring the last Boston goal against his brother, Tony, at 15:55.

Park could well be the best player in NHL history that doesn't have his number retired.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

Oh man yeah that Horton deal ended up being robbery. Forgot about that

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
An underrated crappy trade was the Moog to Boston trade. 20 year old Bill Ranford and Geoff Courtnall for 27 year old Andy Moog. My friends and I all loved Moog and he had a great name to shout after a big save, but Harry spent the next bit of forever looking for a LW for Neely and Janney/Oates, and while Ranford wasn't a world beater, he had a more than respectable career, and was re-acquired by the Bruins after Moog was gone.

Not the worst by any stretch, but just dumb.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

To add to it, they didn’t trade an expiring 30 goal Loui Eriksson at the deadline in a year they missed the playoffs.

Not hearsay or rumors, but it is also true the bruins absolutely got roasted in the trade. Should have gone for a 1-1 or young blue chips and prospects instead of what they got.

And sad Sweeney didn’t trade Eriksson, or soderberg for that matter, sure. But I understand why, they missed the playoffs by a point if I recall correctly? Fan base would have been even more irate had we traded those guys and missed. It would have been looked at as directly Sweeney’s fault by pretty much the entire fan base (and likely some players) instead of being viewed by a handful of knowledgeable niche fans that like to pontificate with the benefit of hindsight

Another bad trade from recent memory was Boychuk. It began the team’s downfall, both on and off the ice, and was a key straw in breaking the camel Chiarelli’s back

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
An underrated crappy trade was the Moog to Boston trade. 20 year old Bill Ranford and Geoff Courtnall for 27 year old Andy Moog. My friends and I all loved Moog and he had a great name to shout after a big save, but Harry spent the next bit of forever looking for a LW for Neely and Janney/Oates, and while Ranford wasn't a world beater, he had a more than respectable career, and was re-acquired by the Bruins after Moog was gone.

Not the worst by any stretch, but just dumb.
ehhhh...if they don't make that trade they spend years chasing a goalie instead of a winger. It wasn't a great trade, but i don't think it was bad either

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
ehhhh...if they don't make that trade they spend years chasing a goalie instead of a winger. It wasn't a great trade, but i don't think it was bad either
My point lies in Ranford eventually being at least equal to Moog within a couple/few seasons. They already had Reggie to bridge the gap, and while he wasn't a whole season starter, he did get Smythe votes for a Cup winner three seasons after being traded.

It wasn't terrible. Just another Harry/Slats fishing trade that didn't really help the cause.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad