Rank these defense prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FriedEgg

Sep 26, 2009
1) Percy - potential top 4. Great compliment to a #1. IQ off the charts. Could play 2nd pp. Intangibles could see him wearing a letter (see spott's comments when pairing knodel with him)
2) Finn - see him as a wiedman type. 1st pp potential.
3) Granberg - top 6 with top 4 upside. Shutdown guy, not as much offensive upside. A RH shot could help him make the jump sooner rather then later.

Leafsrule14*

Finn is different from Percy/Granberg

High PO: Finn/Percy/Granberg
Safest bet: Percy/Finn/Granberg

Really? I think Granberg can actually be the best out of them all. The best of the 3 defensively and his offense is just a bonus. His offense by the way isn't too bad.

He's reliable like Gunnarson but higher potential IMO.

Based on scouts Finn needs work on his defense. Granberg is the opposite.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Highest PO: Finn
Safest Bet: Percy/Granberg

Personally I hope Finn becomes what I think he can be in a top 4 D man. Percy has a solid career ahead of him in someones top 6.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Rank these 3 players and do you think any will bust or all 3 will be good, explain.

Finn
Percy
Granberg

Finn = will be an NHLer probably 2nd pairing at best but more likely a 4-5 role player.
Percy = Bust
Granberg = Bottom pairing/depth guy at least in the foreseeable future.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Finn is probably most likely to bust out of the 3, granberg would become a keith aulie at worst. Percy is someone I really like, good all around D-man with good IQ doubt he busts.

My ranking for now:
Percy
Granberg
Finn

Although granberg gets an edge for me because he's physically mature enough to play in the NHL ASAP

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Really? I think Granberg can actually be the best out of them all. The best of the 3 defensively and his offense is just a bonus. His offense by the way isn't too bad.

He's reliable like Gunnarson but higher potential IMO.

Based on scouts Finn needs work on his defense. Granberg is the opposite.

Gunnarson's a second pairing guy that can perform spot duty on the top pairing. I think Gunnarson is Granberg's ceiling.

sync95

Feb 21, 2009
Ontario
Here's my take:

Matt Finn- Already signed a ELC, shows that the big club has considerable interest in his development... has been a PPG defencemen in the OHL since he was barely 18. Shows a good two-way game, perhaps the best offence producer outside Morgan Riley for Leafs U-21 organizational players. Not very big, listed generously at 6'00, but his hockey smarts make up for that. At very least, shows potential to be a top 6 defender at NHL level who can play in all special team situations.
Prospect Grade 7.3/10.

Stuart Percy- Want a good, cerebral, two-way defenceman who can consistantly log 20+ minutes for your team? Stuart Percy may be the Leafs' best bet to join(or replace) Gunnarsson and become just that. Scouts rave at his incredibly smart game, always able to find a good first pass out of the defensive zone, and never really finding himself in any trouble. At 6'01, 183 lbs., it is important that Percy use these next few years filling out his frame to 210-15. This would allow him to be better equiped at defending against pro-level players, something he clearly had trouble with in his first full season with the Marlies this year. At very least, shows potential to be a top-6 defender who can assist in secondary pk role in the NHL.
Prospect Grade: 6.9/10

I don't have much to say on Petter Granberg, other than he looks to be a good defensive d who could allow Holzer to be expendible if needed.

Leafsrule14*

Gunnarson's a second pairing guy that can perform spot duty on the top pairing. I think Gunnarson is Granberg's ceiling.

I think at worst he will be like Carl Gunnarson, assuming he doesn't bust.

But Carl Gunnarson is a realistic expectation for him.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Percy resembles Gunnar a lot too me for some reason. Really smart, not the best shot, etc.

Finn is more of the badass

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I think Finn will be the cream of the crop. Percy will be a decent middle pair D-man and not sure about Granberg.

Leafsrule14*

I can't stand this.

If Rielly was in junior this year, would he be a lesser prospect than Percy and Granberg?
Rielly has elite hockey IQ, awareness and top end talent.

Finn has suspect defense and injury history.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I remember a couple years ago I saw a Storm game, and Finn really stood out to me (This was before we drafted him).

That said, I don't remember much from the game, but I'm wondering what people think his player comparable would be...

I'm thinking:

Matt Finn --> Kevin Bieksa
Stuart Percy --> Poor mans Marc-Edouard Vlasic
Petter Granberg --> Jan Hejda/Carl Gunnarsson

Thoughts?

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Rielly is in the NHL, what does he have to do with a player not good enough to make a mediocre WJC team?

Don't blame me, the professionals made that decision.

Finn should have been on the team. Canada did a really poor job in selecting their players this year.

91Kadri91*

I'm pretty high on Percy and Granberg. They're both extremely reliable.

I think a mid or bottom-pairing of Percy and Granberg would be fantastic. They'd be a pair you can throw out there and know they'll make the smart, simple play; a pair you wouldn't be concerned about making a costly mistake. They'd be great for killing the oppositions momentum, or closing out a close game. They may never light up the score-sheet, but they could still be an incredibly valuable pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad