Pre-Game Talk: Rangers @ Pittsburgh 4/16/16 3:00 PM EST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I wonder what the official word is going to be for why Girardi is not at practice. If he's a legit healthy scratch, or if he's legit injured (issues from Boyle hit coming back?)
Gotta keep em safe and healthy for that summer buyout :naughty:

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
they have to sand the rust off, didnt you know

:laugh:

v0_master.jpg

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Anybody ever wonder what is going through a guy's head who hides behind his computer and calls a professional athlete who is playing at the top level of his sport who has battled a career threatening concussion and a slapshot to the eye a "clown".? Staal does more charity work in a year than most of us will ever even consider doing in a lifetime. "Clown" just doesn't seem to fit. Sorry for the rant. That just really bothered me. Carry on.

It's sports. Reality often doesn't apply... for better or worse.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
It is official. Dan Girardi crossed the line into "Worse than Wade Redden" territory. He didn't just cross it though. He was going the speed of sound when he took his first steps into that territory.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
It is official. Dan Girardi crossed the line into "Worse than Wade Redden" territory. He didn't just cross it though. He was going the speed of sound when he took his first steps into that territory.

Don't kid yourself. This is Girardi we're talking about.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY

I thought about this last night. His decline was extremely quick. He has no business being out on the ice with other NHLers. He's THAT bad.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Please don't mention Redden and Girardi in same sentence. At least Girardi gave us 6-7 really good years (believe it or not his 9th playoff season with NYR). Redden came over right away for huge money and sucked from the very beginning. Sather botched both contracts but redden was worst ive ever seen for that money

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
It really is alarming how fast Girardi's descent was. Largely in part to injuries I'm sure but the guy was in an NHL all star game just 4-5 years ago and there were people putting him in Norris trophy talk. It's really crazy how quickly he fell off. The game has passed him by.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
It really is alarming how fast Girardi's descent was. Largely in part to injuries I'm sure but the guy was in an NHL all star game just 4-5 years ago and there were people putting him in Norris trophy talk. It's really crazy how quickly he fell off. The game has passed him by.

He was tailor-made for Torts' system. As was one Ryan Callahan, and we are seeing a similar drop off him from him as well.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

Why is it amazing? Going into this season,he had played the 4th most minutes of any player in the last 4-5 years. Brooks had that stat. All of the extra playoffs. The human body can only take so much pounding before it breaks down.

Last edited:

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
Why is it amazing? Going into this season,he had played the 4th most minutes of any player in the last 4-5 years. Brooks had that dtat. All of the extra playoffs. The human body can only take so much pounding before it breaks down.

Oh no I agree. I guess amazing isn't the right word. He has been a fantastic player for us over the years and taken a beating. He's a warrior but we would all be lying if we said we expected him to be relegated to a marginal bottom pairing defenseman at the age of 31

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Please don't mention Redden and Girardi in same sentence. At least Girardi gave us 6-7 really good years (believe it or not his 9th playoff season with NYR). Redden came over right away for huge money and sucked from the very beginning. Sather botched both contracts but redden was worst ive ever seen for that money

I am simply talking about how fast they declined and how bad they truly were near the end.

Look. Dan Girardi is not good at hockey any more. You know what? I still love the guy as a player. He has been a warrior for us for many years, blocked an ungodly amount of shots and has been the ultimate team player. Despite the lackluster ending to his career, he will always remain one of my favorite Rangers because you don't get more dedicated than Dan Girardi. It doesn't change the fact though that much like Chris Drury, the type of game he plays has led to a steep decline in his overall abilities.

I am not mindlessly trashing the guy because I have a vendetta against him (as some people do). I am stating the facts. Dan Girardi isn't an NHL player any more. It is a sad thing because I have enjoyed watching him suit up as a Ranger for a long time. He has been a rock of consistency at a time where we as fans didn't know what that word was (after the atrocity of 1997-2004).

However, just like Frank Sinatra sang in the song "My Way":
And now, the end is near
And so I face the final curtain
My friend, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain

The end is here for Girardi. I want to see him go out with dignity and hopefully a cup (because I think we can all agree that the guy damn well deserves it). The problem is, for us to win that cup, he can't be a big part of it.

Whether its rust, illness, injury or (gasp) Vigneault is coming to his senses... whatever it may be that is causing uncertainty with him, it is in the best interest of the team that he not play.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I am simply talking about how fast they declined and how bad they truly were near the end.

Look. Dan Girardi is not good at hockey any more. You know what? I still love the guy as a player. He has been a warrior for us for many years, blocked an ungodly amount of shots and has been the ultimate team player. Despite the lackluster ending to his career, he will always remain one of my favorite Rangers because you don't get more dedicated than Dan Girardi. It doesn't change the fact though that much like Chris Drury, the type of game he plays has led to a steep decline in his overall abilities.

I am not mindlessly trashing the guy because I have a vendetta against him (as some people do). I am stating the facts. Dan Girardi isn't an NHL player any more. It is a sad thing because I have enjoyed watching him suit up as a Ranger for a long time. He has been a rock of consistency at a time where we as fans didn't know what that word was (after the atrocity of 1997-2004).

And now, the end is near

The end is here for Girardi. I want to see him go out with dignity and hopefully a cup (because I think we can all agree that the guy damn well deserves it). The problem is, for us to win that cup, he can't be a big part of it.

Whether its rust, illness, injury or (gasp) Vigneault is coming to his senses... whatever it may be that is causing uncertainty with him, it is in the best interest of the team that he not play.

Good words on Girardi here. 100% agree.

Also, I'd be shocked if hes too injured to play. He's never too injured to play.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Girardi is obviously not injured but they don't want to embarrass him with a healthy scratch.

Hank will obviously play.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC

And now, the end is near

This.

The guy might be 31, but when you add in all the additional playoff games, and the way he plays with the shot blocking, his actual age is probably on the wrong side of 35. I don't see him ever regaining any of what made him such a steady defenseman.

I'd like to see him retire at the end of the season and the Rangers find a spot in the organization for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad