Randy Carlyle's "ok" comment about Reimer vs something Mike Babcock said on 24/7

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
What story?

How is "He played ok" a story?

It couldn't be any less of a story.

This is amazing. Something sociologists should study.

LOL I should. write a study paper on this and everything.

Here's an English lesson for some of you - okay is synonymous with the word satisfactory. Satisfactory often implies not great but not bad either. Was Reimer great? No, he wasn't. Was Reimer bad? No, he wasn't. The media is running with a non story and some people are foolishly latching on to it. The comment from Carlyle nor Reimer was bad.

I know right? Like it blew my mind how on Leafs lunch and everyone is arguing over the Okay vs. Good. comments like "well he wasn't bad, but he wasn't great, and he wasn't at fault." which - you now - means just okay. :laugh: it's like all this mental gymnastics to make this into a story.

Disagree completely, but it's definitely an interesting take.

My opinion - Carlyle left a little something in that comment.

It's one thing to say "He was Ok.", but to come back with "JUST Ok" as a follow up, was a bit of a dig in my opinion.

I also think it was a dig because Carlyle felt let down by Reimer. I think it was the HC guys that suggested that this was Carlyle's (forced) chance to allow Reimer to earn his trust back, and Reimer didn't take it and that manifested itself in the comment.

Plus, if you look at Reimer's reaction to the comment, he was clearly peeved off by the coach's response.

Is it overblown? Sure it is. But let's not pretend that there wasn't a story there.

That comment will cost the Leafs their playoff spot this season.

again - [and I respect your opinion] - that how you framed it just makes me want to sprain my eyeballs. Carlyle NEVER pumps his goalies tires, unless they play out of their minds [and the team loses, see Leafs and Bernier in Florida, and even then all he said was, when you're given a performance like that, and your team squanders it, it's a shame because goalies dont always have performances like that]. When the goalies played really well - first thing Randy goes is "well they did their job, they stopped the puck, i'm not going to pat them on their back for doing their job."

so quite frankly, saying that Reimer was okay, just okay - was of the same vein. He wasn't amazing and he wasn't garbage. he was just okay. And this is just something that again I don't understand. Carlyle said he was just okay, and Reimer was the one who turned and said, "well, no. I thought I was pretty good." Reimer knows the Toronto media too, he had to have known especially knowing the climate by saying something different.

And again - if he was that peeved that he was called 'just okay' by his coach, his response should have been, you know what, let me show you how 'just okay' i can be, and put on a goaltending clinic the night after. If he's that rattled by being called 'just okay' then we've got a bigger problem on our hands.

This just slices right back down to when Reimer called out the team [again - something that he had every right to do after that horrible performance they had again against Florida]. And how did Reimer decide to play after that performance?

Just okay.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Good for Babcock and for Carlyle, and for any other coach that has the nerve to call out a player making millions for underperforming.

If the guy is playing ******, call it for what it is and stop worrying about hurting feelings. These guys are big boys. They can take it. Some people take the comments and try to prove them wrong; others crumble under the pressure. It what separates the winners from the, well, not winners.

Carlyle telling Reimer was "OK" in Detroit was actually a compliment. Not sure why so many are getting their panties in a bunch.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Here's an English lesson for some of you - okay is synonymous with the word satisfactory. Satisfactory often implies not great but not bad either. Was Reimer great? No, he wasn't. Was Reimer bad? No, he wasn't. The media is running with a non story and some people are foolishly latching on to it. The comment from Carlyle nor Reimer was bad.

:handclap:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

It's one thing to say "He was Ok.", but to come back with "JUST Ok" as a follow up, was a bit of a dig in my opinion.

I also think it was a dig because Carlyle felt let down by Reimer. I think it was the HC guys that suggested that this was Carlyle's (forced) chance to allow Reimer to earn his trust back, and Reimer didn't take it and that manifested itself in the comment.

Plus, if you look at Reimer's reaction to the comment, he was clearly peeved off by the coach's response.

Is it overblown? Sure it is. But let's not pretend that there wasn't a story there.

Everyone knows how something is said is more important than the words!

"Do I look fat in this?"

"No you don't look fat."
"No you don't look fat."
"No you don't look fat."

"How do I look in this?"

"You look okay."
"You look okay!"
"You look okay!!!"

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
cherry picking by Friedman. In the same interview Babcock also mentioned that Howard will start the next game. The kind of relationship Babcock has with his players, babcock can things like "he played horrible" and players are fine with that

not the point whatsoever

Babcock>>>> Carlyle

whether or not Carlyle<<<<Babcock has nothing to do with the subject and not only that, it's subjective and therefore useless hyperbole

not only as a coach but as a motivator. Although Media in toronto is one big pain in the butt they are certainly NOT the reason the leafs have been sucking. Carlyle should be held accountable.

wouldn't that idea fit much better in the inevitable FIRE Carlyle thread?

Also don't forget when Leafs play well media puts them on a pedestal too....Don't see anybody complaining and moaning and crying about that

the point of this whole thing is not whether anybody is moaning and crying or whether or not the media puts people on pedestals(which they do) but how they spin inconsequential minutiae into controversy when there clearly is none, such as Randy clearly speaking the truth when he stated that he thought his goalie played "OK"

The media made it out to be a a serious affront to James and proof of a rift between coach and player when it clearly was not. Eliot was actually pointing out the disconnect between the media and truth when it comes to the sensationalistic tendencies of certain members of the Toronto media and more so how it stirs up the fevered and much gullible masses.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The media made it out to be a a serious affront to James and proof of a rift between coach and player when it clearly was not. Eliot was actually pointing out the disconnect between the media and truth when it come to the sensationalistic tendencies of certain members of the Toronto media and more so how it stirs up the fevered and much gullible masses.

Know your audience.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Coach didn't say anything wrong. Reimer has been ok, maybe a little worse and yet it causes a **** storm. Sorry, last goal against Montreal was horrible and there was another there he should have had. Two of the goals against NJ were pathetic yet people side with him. You can't win games when every game you are 2-3 goals behind right off the bat. You need your goaler to keep you in the game. Against Montreal they worked like hell and Reimer at the end of a PP lets in that goal. Deflates a team.

I'm sorry Reimer lovers. I hope he doesn't play another game for the Leafs beyond this season. He's a flake.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Know your audience.

which means at the end of the day -all we want are cliches, even if it's not true.

[also - if the know your audience goes to carlyle, it goes to Reimer as well, end of story]

Seriously, end of this total non issue of a story.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Good for Babcock and for Carlyle, and for any other coach that has the nerve to call out a player making millions for underperforming.

If the guy is playing ******, call it for what it is and stop worrying about hurting feelings. These guys are big boys. They can take it. Some people take the comments and try to prove them wrong; others crumble under the pressure. It what separates the winners from the, well, not winners.

Carlyle telling Reimer was "OK" in Detroit was actually a compliment. Not sure why so many are getting their panties in a bunch.

:handclap:

ffenliv

Jan 2, 2009
As a Habs fan, whose team's media is pretty nuts, I have this to offer:

You're all here discussing it. Sports media ticks along predictably, waiting, begging, for something like this to happen. Know why? Because they know they can make a story out of what is essentially nothing.

And, as Leafs fans, you're all here commenting on it, feeding into the machine. You're feeding the beast of the media blowing things out of proportion, by talking about the media blowing it out of proportion.

I know myself I have stop from commenting on certain things, just to try and lessen the negative-feedback loop that occurs in these situations. However, can it be stopped? I mean, sports are big business, and the media is the driving force behind it. If it's not on TV, on the radio, and on the internet, no money is made.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
As a Habs fan, whose team's media is pretty nuts, I have this to offer:

You're all here discussing it. Sports media ticks along predictably, waiting, begging, for something like this to happen. Know why? Because they know they can make a story out of what is essentially nothing.

And, as Leafs fans, you're all here commenting on it, feeding into the machine. You're feeding the beast of the media blowing things out of proportion, by talking about the media blowing it out of proportion.

I know myself I have stop from commenting on certain things, just to try and lessen the negative-feedback loop that occurs in these situations. However, can it be stopped? I mean, sports are big business, and the media is the driving force behind it. If it's not on TV, on the radio, and on the internet, no money is made.

This post deserves the :handclap:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Everyone knows how something is said is more important than the words!

"Do I look fat in this?"

"No you don't look fat."
"No you don't look fat."
"No you don't look fat."

"How do I look in this?"

"You look okay."
"You look okay!"
"You look okay!!!"

She had a crack baby.

She had a crack, baby.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

It's a story because you and others have fed into it and have convinced yourself there's something there to analyze. I read the comments by both Randy and JR came across a lot worse in print than it did in the interview.

You don't think it's strange that the media scrum ended the moment those words left Randy's mouth? No one thought to ask him to follow up with with an explanation or be a bit more descriptive...probably because no one would want to chance Randy saying something that would take away from how juicy the commentary sounded all on its own.

'Okay' carries two connotations - not bad and not great. When he said 'I thought he was okay', that's the 'he wasn't bad' and then the follow up of 'just okay'...was the 'but to be clear, I do think he could have been better'. After one of Bernier's game, Randy said 'it wasn't one of his better games and I'll just leave it at that'. Honest opinion - doesn't that come across as more critical than saying 'he was okay, just okay'?

ashs

Oct 27, 2007
Difference is Babcock is a respected professional, and Randy is not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad