Prospect Info: Quinn Hughes, Pt. III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Well, the rest of the team plays with the same goalie, but I digress... Looking at the stats for defensemen, Makar is pretty much on par with Hughes in the points, but Makar plays in a stronger conference, then again Hughes is 1 year younger. Fox has an amazing point total but this is his junior year and is the oldest of the 3, and plays in the weakest conference. With all that being said, how do we rank these D men (NHL point production wise).

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Well, the rest of the team plays with the same goalie, but I digress... Looking at the stats for defensemen, Makar is pretty much on par with Hughes in the points, but Makar plays in a stronger conference, then again Hughes is 1 year younger. Fox has an amazing point total but this is his junior year and is the oldest of the 3, and plays in the weakest conference. With all that being said, how do we rank these D men (NHL point production wise).
Hughes
Makar
Fox

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I haven’t had time to look through the stats, but I believe that he plays a ton of minutes every game. The commentators said that he played over 35 minutes a couple of games ago.
He skates so effortlessly that he can pile up minutes. I think we finally have a true star D man coming up soon.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I hope we haven’t all been spoiled by EP. Its simply not the norm for any top prospect to come into the NHL without an adjustment period. I’d expect Hughes to have some issues to work out.
I still just can’t believe how EP came over and immediately looked like the best player on the team. I haven’t seen anything like this since probably Bure.

PRNuck

May 20, 2009
Calgary
I hope we haven’t all been spoiled by EP. Its simply not the norm for any top prospect to come into the NHL without an adjustment period. I’d expect Hughes to have some issues to work out.
I still just can’t believe how EP came over and immediately looked like the best player on the team. I haven’t seen anything like this since probably Bure.

Bruh I'm not sure we're capable of being spoiled, we're the most damaged fanbase in professional sports. I'm still expecting the NHL to come along and say they found an error in the lottery numbers and we have to give EP back because we were supposed to be picking 6th.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Bruh I'm not sure we're capable of being spoiled, we're the most damaged fanbase in professional sports. I'm still expecting the NHL to come along and say they found an error in the lottery numbers and we have to give EP back because we were supposed to be picking 6th.
Too true!
I’m having flashbacks to the expansion draft when we thought we had Gilbert Perrault and ended up with Dale Tallon instead!

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?

It is pretty crazy. Pettersson this year is amazing full stop. Never watched a rookie like this with my own eyes.

I was a little too young to really pay serious attention when Bure first came in. I remember my older brother soaking it all in though. He became a lifelong Canucks fan from that era... meanwhile I had to watch "Bet you can't eat just one!" stink up the joint.
*shudders*

Anyways on your other point... just to play devil's advocate, its not like EP had anyone to compete with aside from Bo and injured Brock for that title?

Still what he has done is spectactular, but if say Sven Baertschi or Sam Gagner were performing better than him I guess that's more realistic of most prospect progress? But it feels wrong. :skeptic:

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013

Big 10 is the second strongest conference, first is NCHC.

I would rank Hughes first, he plays a different game than either of those two. The Michigan's offence flows through Hughes and his playmaking ability is on another level. NHL defenceman that can create plays is much more likely to translate than a puck rushing defenceman with a good shot.

Reactions: The ultimate fan

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hughes will likely be on the Canucks blueline sometime in March. No matter where the Canucks are in the standings by then, he and Pettersson will make buying tickets worthwhile. Almost more pumped about that possibility than even the remote chance that the Canucks might still playing meaningful games by then.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Hughes will likely be on the Canucks blueline sometime in March. No matter where the Canucks are in the standings by then, he and Pettersson will make buying tickets worthwhile. Almost more pumped about that possibility than even the remote chance that the Canucks might still playing meaningful games by then.

They are going no where this season. I always cheer for them to win, but there is no pain right now when they lose. (other than to MON, BOST or CHIC)

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Hughes is definitely putting up elite offensive numbers, which is great. But I think posters are severely overrating his NHL floor. This prospect is still very "boom or bust" in terms of whether he will be a top 1-2 defensemen, or a lesser defensemen that excels offensively. I think it is way too early to call this a home run or great pick, because that implies he will be a top 1-2 defensemen, which remains to be seen.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Hughes is definitely putting up elite offensive numbers, which is great. But I think posters are severely overrating his NHL floor. This prospect is still very "boom or bust" in terms of whether he will be a top 1-2 defensemen, or a lesser defensemen that excels offensively. I think it is way too early to call this a home run or great pick, because that implies he will be a top 1-2 defensemen, which remains to be seen.

I don't think we are overrating him. Have you watched Michigan game this year? If No and if you have Cable. Order the BTN. The way he skates, handles the pick? His vision and hockey sense are off the chart. Not many nhl Defensemen right now has that ability. He showed at wjc that he can playing against nhl player. Also dont forgot he is still a teenager putting up those poinrs in College against a lot if older players than him. If he was 6-1, correct me if I am wrong I don't think you make that statement Boom or Bust? It's a different nhl now, size matter lot less now.

I see a small Brian Leetch in Hughes.

Sedins went ppg players to 100 point players with Ehrhoff. Having Hughes back there will make Boeser and Pettersson put up more points

Reactions: RightInTheAho

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I don't think we are overrating him. Have you watched Michigan game this year? If No and if you have Cable. Order the BTN. The way he skates, handles the pick? His vision and hockey sense are off the chart. Not many nhl Defensemen right now has that ability. He showed at wjc that he can playing against nhl player. Also dont forgot he is still a teenager putting up those poinrs in College against a lot if older players than him. If he was 6-1, correct me if I am wrong I don't think you make that statement Boom or Bust? It's a different nhl now, size matter lot less now.

I see a small Brian Leetch in Hughes.

Sedins went ppg players to 100 point players with Ehrhoff. Having Hughes back there will make Boeser and Pettersson put up more points

I stated that his floor was being overrated, not him generally. I just don’t think it’s a slam dunk that he is a number one or two defensemen at this point.

Reactions: Josepho

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
I stated that his floor was being overrated, not him generally. I just don’t think it’s a slam dunk that he is a number one or two defensemen at this point.

I agree with you. He has incredible upside if he can figure out some decision making issues and then defend in the NHL against bigger and stronger players. I think it remains to be seen if he can do either- and it isn't close to certain that he won't need to be sheltered in his career. If he can impose himself on the game in the same way he has in these lower leagues, and overcome his defensive issues, he could be so special. If he doesn't, he could lose all confidence and become a constant liability. I don't think the worst case scenario is likely, but in my opinion, it is not a slam dunk that he can figure it out. We will see. Certainly hopeful he can be the unique D who can handle all situations and still control the game, because with his skill set, it would be so much fun to have that in Vancouver!

I do appreciate seeing a wider rage of opinion about him. I also think it is important to find him the right fit for a partner that can compliment him as he comes into the league and beyond.

Reactions: Hodgy

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
When Hughes steps on the ice in Vancouver for the WJHC, fans will get a good litmus test for how he stacks up against his age-group peers. My prediction, he'll dominate. After all, he was picked to compete for the USA in the World Hockey Championships last spring against pro hockey players who were 10 years older.

He's beyond an elite level skater who can move laterally and pivot on a time. It's mind-boggling to think what he and Pettersson will accomplish together on the ice. It's going to be a fun ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad