Question on Tanking the Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I hate to bring up the "T" word but this is a draft year like no other. I know I know its become a comedy of errors and the team is the laughing stock of the NHL for this reason but at what stage should the team decide to tank?

Lets say this team after 20 games is 4-12-2-2 regardless of what other teams are doing isnt it best to write off the season 1/4 in and try and get one of the big 3 in the draft?

This isnt even just about McDavid there are 3 cant miss superstars unlike other years.

Open question for everyone. Should the team under any circumstance tank it. If so when should be the cut off period.

I dont want to see a 10th place Western Confernce finish for YEG and face McDavid 8 times a year in Calgary. :help:

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
If they're 4-12-2-2 after 20 games, then they're already tanking. What exactly would you have them do on top of that?

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
I hate to bring up the "T" word but this is a draft year like no other. I know I know its become a comedy of errors and the team is the laughing stock of the NHL for this reason but at what stage should the team decide to tank?

Lets say this team after 20 games is 4-12-2-2 regardless of what other teams are doing isnt it best to write off the season 1/4 in and try and get one of the big 3 in the draft?

This isnt even just about McDavid there are 3 cant miss superstars unlike other years.

Open question for everyone. Should the team under any circumstance tank it. If so when should be the cut off period.

I dont want to see a 10th place Western Confernce finish for YEG and face McDavid 8 times a year in Calgary. :help:
yeah if they start that poorly they probably don't need to worry about trying to tank the rest of the year, some things just happen naturally.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

I do

cause at least they're showing progress

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
yeah if they start that poorly they probably don't need to worry about trying to tank the rest of the year, some things just happen naturally.

Actually then what they do is go on a 5 1 2 2 run and finish square middle of the pack. This is my major concern.

Progress is irrelevant. Make progress in years where Leon and Sam are top 5 picks not in years where Crosby McDavid are.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Actually then what they do is go on a 5 1 2 2 run and finish square middle of the pack. This is my major concern.

Progress is irrelevant. Make progress in years where Leon and Sam are top 5 picks not in years where Crosby McDavid are.

9-13-4-4 is still terrible. If they start 4-12, they are a terrible team, especially considering the schedule at the beginning of the year. The tanking will handle itself in that case.

SerbianEagle

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Where is the 100% guarantee that McDavid will turn out better than Draisaitl? There are no guarantees, so no reason to underrate the kid before he's even played a game for the Oilers.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Where is the 100% guarantee that McDavid will turn out better than Draisaitl? There are no guarantees, so no reason to underrate the kid before he's even played a game for the Oilers.

The same thing was said back in 2010 when the trade came up about Tambellini offering Jordan Eberle and Ales Hemsky for the 2nd overall pick(Tyler Seguin).

''Where is the 100% guarantee that Seguin will turn out better than the package of Eberle and Hemsky.''

Fast forward to 2014:

Tyler Seguin>>>>>Ales Hemsky and Jordan Eberle

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
So...having a top-10 pick for 5 straight years (4 of which were top-3) couldn't help this pathetic franchise but one more player will?

No. If this team tanks once more, I'm pretty sure I'm just giving up on them and NHL hockey for the foreseeable future.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Having a 3 pick, so they can refuse to sign here, and go back into the draft, is probably not a good way to go this year.

These guys should play there hearts out so they can get that 6 to 10 pick (which is far less embarrassing to screw up).

Oct 30, 2011
so, I'm just going to pretend that Tanking refers to being a larger team so that we can compete in the west.

I like the moves we've made in terms of size.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
1) The Oilers have never tanked once on purpose ever, they have just been genuinely that bad and that poorly run.
2) the Oilers are so bad that they don't even know which years to be bad and get a top 2 pick and which years to be lower than that.

Two of our 3 1st overall picks are far from franchise players. Hall is pretty close but the team needs to accomplish something with him as the best players sooner or later

Kinibo

Apr 11, 2013
And here we go again with this stupid question.

Any time, under any circumstance, that you've started supporting the idea of intentionally losing games, you have ceased to be a fan. Christ, have a little pride. You don't build a winning team by tanking seasons, you build it by instilling a culture of winning, of doing whatever it takes to score one more goal than the team you're playing against. No matter what game of the season, no matter what the standings say.

There is no draft pick in the world that I would be interested in if it means icing a team that will accept losing under any circumstances.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
1) The Oilers have never tanked once on purpose ever, they have just been genuinely that bad and that poorly run.

Well, no, they lost half the team to injury in the first 6 weeks of 09-10, were abysmal because of it, had their recluse owner do interviews acknowledging the need for a long term rebuild and then they dealt or bought out most of the veteran players on the roster.

Tanking isn't the right word for it, but they went into the next few seasons knowing they would be at the bottom of the league.

2) the Oilers are so bad that they don't even know which years to be bad and get a top 2 pick and which years to be lower than that.

I'm not even sure what this means.

Two of our 3 1st overall picks are far from franchise players. Hall is pretty close but the team needs to accomplish something with him as the best players sooner or later

You need a new hobby or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Lets not start of the season with this, and continue to spread the opinion that all the Oilers do is tank. If part way through the year we find ourselves in a postilion where we are a serious contented for the lottery pick then we may revisit the this topic, not before the season even starts.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad