GDT: QF - SUI vs. GER May 23, 2024

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Germany conceded 12 goals vs. the "smaller" nations, this is as many as Switzerland overall.

Prevent taking penalties, shut them down on 5vs5 like Finland, Canada and the Czechs and then wee need some Fiala or Josi-magic.

As always, it's an open game, both teams probably at the same level, Germany with some more scoring depth with Forwards, Switzerland probably the better defense with 2 NHL-backs and one former NHL-back and Switzerland with a little bit more high-end skills. Goalies are probably even, Genoni has the better stats and probably played a little bit better in the first round, Grubauer normally the better goalie. Both have the ability to steal a game.

Reactions: Summer Rose

SwissFan12

May 15, 2022
Germany conceded 12 goals vs. the "smaller" nations, this is as many as Switzerland overall.

Prevent taking penalties, shut them down on 5vs5 like Finland, Canada and the Czechs and then wee need some Fiala or Josi-magic.

As always, it's an open game, both teams probably at the same level, Germany with some more scoring depth with Forwards, Switzerland probably the better defense with 2 NHL-backs and one former NHL-back and Switzerland with a little bit more high-end skills. Goalies are probably even, Genoni has the better stats and probably played a little bit better in the first round, Grubauer normally the better goalie. Both have the ability to steal a game.

5-5 play has been really solid, we didn't took any goal since the game against Austria

But the PK has been bad and German powerplay is the best right now (with us as a second) so stay out the box

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Maybe Hischier will decide to make the effort.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
A little bit worried about the goalie matchup too, this is the stage where those count double.

Their matchup will be focussed on Fiala and Hischier so hopefully some of the other guys can show up. And I think they can do that, some shifts against FIN were really dominant. Just please stay away from the penalty box!

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I hope. Hischier struggled a lot with jetlag last year and wasn't playing to his potential. Also Fiala looks much sharper than last year where he just scored once I think. Plus Josi. They need to stand up and decide this, that's clear.

Jakub97

Jun 5, 2023
The question is:

Will the Swiss FINALLY get through the Germans in QF?

As long as I remember, Germany got into SF exclusively only through the Swiss so I wonder If there is some kind of mental block as we Slovaks used to have when played against Czechs back in the day. (still, might something carry).

Swiss - now or never!

Last edited:

amikaro

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2015
It's gonna be an exiting game! Swiss team has to deliver (if Fischer wants to keep his job).

Looking forward to a great battle!

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Both very good teams. I think this Swiss roster is better but they tend to choke at quarterfinal level. So maybe the mental aspect will play a key role. As I said elsewhere, it’s a toss-up for me. The Germans have an excellent team, though I would have much preferred to play them (as a Czech fan) than playing the US tonight. They are very good (and certainly could have beaten us, had we played them), but they are not THAT good. Many deficiencies exposed in their group games against some of the better opposition.

Goose The Cat

May 22, 2023
Both very good teams. I think this Swiss roster is better but they tend to choke at quarterfinal level. So maybe the mental aspect will play a key role. As I said elsewhere, it’s a toss-up for me. The Germans have an excellent team, though I would have much preferred to play them (as a Czech fan) than playing the US tonight. They are very good (and certainly could have beaten us, had we played them), but they are not THAT good. Many deficiencies exposed in their group games against some of the better opposition.
I mean, even Slovakia beat the US, so I don't think it's gonna be a big problem for Czechia. I think Czechia wins actually.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
I mean, even Slovakia beat the US, so I don't think it's gonna be a big problem for Czechia. I think Czechia wins actually.
Even the top teams sometimes need to find their feet in the round robin games that don’t matter so much. I would not want to play Canada in the quarterfinals just because they conceded 6 against Austria in an unimportant game, for example. Plus Slovakia is a team that on a good day can beat anyone in the world, no shame losing against Slovakia. Our recent results against the US during the knockout stages (including last year) are not good. I think we CAN win, but the US are clear favourites to me.

Last edited:

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
This year is our year !!
i am confident in our team.

We can beat anyone.
Of course we have a past .(Germans beat us) ..... but we also have a future ... and one shall not be like the other.
At the end we live an eternal present time. So who cares :)
We have a good team ... And they will make it.

Hop Schwiz, Allez la Suisse, Andiamo Svizera , Давай Швейцария, Go Swiss Go. Fuerza Suiça,

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
This year is our year !!
i am confident in our team.

We can beat anyone.
Of course we have a past .(Germans beat us) ..... but we also have a future ... and one shall not be like the other.
At the end we live an eternal present time. So who cares :)
We have a good team ... And they will make it.

Hop Schwiz, Allez la Suisse, Andiamo Svizera , Давай Швейцария, Go Swiss Go. Fuerza Suiça,
I am hoping the bit in the Cyrillic alphabet is Ukrainian 😀

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
This guy is so dumb...
Seeing his dumb choice year after year is really painful to watch
Well he didn't score !! i see it interesting and gutsy not to dress an NHL player !
but to be an NHL player, per se ... is little.

we will see how smart that choice is.

The only point is ... he scored a Penalty.... if we would end up there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad