PWHL nicknames announcement happened 9/9/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Eh... kind of a weak batch, imho. Sirens is solid, I get what they're going for with Sceptres but I don't think it works, Fleet is okay the more I think about it, Charge and Victorie don't do anything at all for me, and Frost feels like it's just an auto-generated team for a videogame that doesn't have rights to a league and needed to come up with 30 names on the spot.

Edit, oh... I was thinking New York Sceptres as a references to Lady Liberty. For Toronto, add it to Montreal and Ottawa in the whatever category.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They did alright, could have been much better if the leaked finalist names are true.

That said, overall thoughts:

Boston: C+. I like everything about this except the lack of an obvious singular form. Color scheme's great, the logo's very well done, I like the double entendre between a shipping fleet and being fleet of foot (well, skate), this is really quite good except for that one nagging issue.
Montreal: B+. The only thing I can ding Montreal on is the lack of an obvious singular form. The logo is the best in the league, the name sounds cool, when put in proper French order (Montreal Victoire sounds weird to me, but "la Victoire de Montréal" is great), and the color scheme ties well with the Habs without being an exact copy.
Toronto: B-. This is, to mix a metaphor, a solid base hit up the middle. Blue and gold always looks great together, The name works, the logo works, nothing feels off here. It feels like a name that's been in use for a while, which is where you want to be when establishing a new identity.
New York: B+. This is rock solid work all around. The name's plural, which is a good start, it has a great double meaning, between mythological sirens and goal sirens, the color scheme drawing from the Statue of Liberty is a good (if apparently not intentional) throughline with other NYC women's pro sports teams, the logo itself is a little bland.
Minnesota: D+. Color scheme makes perfect sense, but the name is poor, and the logo's very "NHL '06 placeholder logo". Sure, at least Frost is primarily a noun, but what is a single member of this team called? It lacks the classiness of Victoire, and the double meaning potential of Fleet.
Calgary Ottawa: F--. Not primarily a noun, no obvious singular form, MASSIVE "Hey, I forgot my homework, let me copy off your paper" energy from the logo.

However...

Leaked Finalists:

If we move a couple small things around (it seems like poor Ottawa was doomed from the start), we could have had:

Boston Emeralds
Montreal Lumières
Toronto Sceptres (or Tempests, either works for me)
New York Sirens
Minnesota Monarchs
Ottawa Sentinels

That feels like a much more resilient set of team names, to me, since every last one has the "what do you call one player" issue sorted, and that always strikes me as something that makes a team feel minor league.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Boston Fleet - A solid start. It's hard not to like the Whalers vibe and the colors are good. The logo works, I'm just not in love with it. It's good enough, but lacks that negative space trickery or something to elevate it beyond the fine/good tier.
Minnesota Frost - Generic as generic could be, but at least the colors are nice.
Montreal Victoire - I feel like this one wins by trying the most. This fits a Montreal team nicely and there's a lot of elements in that logo that really work well. The best of the bunch, IMO.
New York Sirens - Oh I hate this. The name is whatever, good and bad connotations with it can be debated, but the logo...that hurts to look at. There's a lot that could be done with that name and those colors and they went with that? Boo! Though the longer I look at it, the longer I get weird nostalgia for the old RHI...so...uh...that's something. This would have fit right in on ESPN2 in the mid-90s.
Ottawa Charge - Looks like a generic Flames knockoff. Terrible name, too. Nobody knows city mottos and it's too generic to have any meaning. Everything about it just feels lazy.
Toronto Sceptres - You know, maybe lazy is better. I can't think of one nice thing to say about this brand. The fact that I can't even type the name without the red squiggles under it doesn't help.

For all of the time taken to get it right...they wound up with a bunch of brands that all feel rather rushed. Some are fine, some are lousy, but considering the extra time taken to get things right I'm unfortunately pretty underwhelmed.

At least with the Sirens or Sceptres I can see people liking those brands. Ottawa really got short shrift here...not even any of the alternative name options would have improved things.

JMCx4

Welcome to: The Dumbing Down Era of HFBoards
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... (They announced like a year ago the second season would start in November, but this article mentions season start in January (again).)
I cannot find any other sports media outlet citing a January 2025 PWHL Season 2 start. Methinks Ms. Anderson needs a fact checker.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Leaked Finalists:

If we move a couple small things around (it seems like poor Ottawa was doomed from the start), we could have had:

Boston Emeralds
Montreal Lumières
Toronto Sceptres (or Tempests, either works for me)
New York Sirens
Minnesota Monarchs
Ottawa Sentinels

That feels like a much more resilient set of team names, to me, since every last one has the "what do you call one player" issue sorted, and that always strikes me as something that makes a team feel minor league.
Apropos, as the PWHL is "minor league" in U.S. hockey vernacular.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I cannot find any other sports media outlet citing a January 2025 PWHL Season 2 start. Methinks Ms. Anderson needs a fact checker.
Brian Burke said November 30th this year, and likely early November after that.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Apropos, as the PWHL is "minor league" in U.S. hockey vernacular.

In some regards, yes, but when you're attempting to set yourself up as the premiere league for women's hockey, there's nothing wrong in aspiring to project a major league image. Granted, I'm of the opinion that you should attempt to project a major league image even if you are a minor league team, but there are additional reasons for the PWHL to do so, in my estimation.

Reactions: JMCx4

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Brian Burke said November 30th this year on Friday, and likely early November after that.

Reactions: JMCx4

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
Here I come in as a grammar nerd, expecting to see a heated discussion about whether it's proper to say "the PWHL is minor league" or "the PWHL are minor league", but no, it's just regular business talk.

I think it's evident that the PWHL is the major league for women's professional hockey. (Or "are", if you prefer).

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Article states they wanted to differentiate from previous leagues.

Not to mention the potential cost of acquiring trademarks.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Looking at the leaked names, Toronto Sentinels sounds alot better imo. Don't like the name they went with.

Montreal's is the best, I like Minnesota's too (generic but effective), Boston is growing on me, Ottawa & New York are pretty meh.

Overall was expecting better but maybe I'll like them more as I get used to them.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Brian Burke said November 30th this year on Friday, and likely early November after that.
Per THN Ian Kennedy's latest Rumblings piece ...
Training Camp Opens November 12
It might be a very brief training camp and preseason ahead of the 2024-2025 season as training camps are set to open on November 12, with no on ice activities until November 15. Last year, training camps started around the same time in November, and teams did not take to the ice until January 1. This year, many within the PWHL believe the regular season will begin around December 1, meaning the preseason and training camp period would be significantly reduced ...
So from a fan perspective, it seems like the League is just as disorganized approaching Season 2 as they were Season 1. But why mess with tradition?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Per THN Ian Kennedy's latest Rumblings piece ...

So from a fan perspective, it seems like the League is just as disorganized approaching Season 2 as they were Season 1. But why mess with tradition?
Brian Burke also said in the interview, training camps will be about 2 weeks long this year as opposed to the 6 weeks in year 1. With November 30 start date.

I’ll take Burkie’s word on this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad