Prospect Info: Prospect camp thread 6/25-6/28

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'm pretty much expecting Chmelevski, Chekhovich, and Ferraro to end the season on the NHL roster. Dunno if they make it right away but they'll be there for the last game of the season.

Also, wasn't Ferraro ranked for the 4th round? Looks like they could be rewarded for reaching on this one.

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

This quote from Roy Sommer on Chmelevski and Chekhovich stands out:

"The scrimmage had a pretty good pace to it, but those two guys stood out," Sommer said. "Both of them I think will be really good players at the American League level."

I guess the plan is for them to play in the AHL next year?

I also found it interesting that the Sharks brass went to around 40 of Merkley's games this year and talked to him after them.

Reactions: Sandisfan and NiWa

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
This quote from Roy Sommer on Chmelevski and Chekhovich stands out:

I guess the plan is for them to play in the AHL next year?

I also found it interesting that the Sharks brass went to around 40 of Merkley's games this year and talked to him after them.
I think you're reading too much into Sommer's quote. He's the AHL coach and he's speaking from his position. An NHL spot is something you have to earn, especially with the Shark who frequently make a point that those spots aren't a given.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Kinda interesting how well our 2017 draft is turning out. So far all of Norris, Ferraro, Chekhovich, and Chmelevski have improved and all of them seem to be on track for future NHL roster spots at the moment. Too bad no more Norris but he did turn into EK65.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think you're reading too much into Sommer's quote. He's the AHL coach and he's speaking from his position. An NHL spot is something you have to earn, especially with the Shark who frequently make a point that those spots aren't a given.

Read that quote yesterday and this is exactly what I felt like too. Sommer cannot commit if players will play in the NHL or not. Him saying that would potentially setup those players expectations incorrectly and is not desirable.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I hope he is focusing on his defense. It’s pretty obvious it has been drilled into him he needed to improve it. Barely any talk about his offensive game needing work.

Good on him, plus it is crazy he is still only 18.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I hope he is focusing on his defense. It’s pretty obvious it has been drilled into him he needed to improve it. Barely any talk about his offensive game needing work.

Good on him, plus it is crazy he is still only 18.
For his sake I hope he does not have or listen to social media as much.

The other thing was that the Sharks folks were at 40 of his games last season. I think the idea there is probably more to do with make sure his confidence is not shot and keep him working towards the NHL.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
You would think with decision making coaching, players should have a headset imbedded in their helmets to constantly get feedback realtime.

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
Merkley has a very cocky facial expression lol hopefully im reading him wrong

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Seems like a confident kid who smiles a lot, I dig it. We rarely have such high end talent in our prospects and this kid is going to get to play preseason games with Vlasic, Karlsson and Burns, it’s going to be amazing for him. I hope he can be a mini-EK for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad