News Article: Pronman has Rangers org ranked #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
How often does the site write about the Rangers? I’m curious if I should subscribe. I only care about Rangers info and not nhl wide info.

Reactions: mas0764

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
How often does the site write about the Rangers? I’m curious if I should subscribe. I only care about Rangers info and not nhl wide info.

Depends tbh. If you want to read Carp's stuff, then a lot. If you don't well then...yeah.

Honestly though, I think it's worth the subscription. I read so much interesting stuff there, not just hockey but also stuff like the Messi-Barcelona fallout, and pretty much everything from baseball to european soccer league stuff (mostly Premier and La Liga) to football and occasionally NBA

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
More interesting to me than the rankings of Howden and Gauthier are the absence of Reunanen and Richards from the honorable mentions while guys like Aaltonen and Kjellberg made it.

richards wasn't drafted so he probably doesn't know he exists lol

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
my favorite part of these annual rankings....

fans for years: Pronman's rankings are terrible, he doesn't know what he's talking about and just tries to be controverisal for clickbait
fans now: Pronman's rankings are still terrible and he doesn't know what he's talking about...but WOOHOO we're #1!!

lol

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA

fans for years: Pronman's rankings are terrible, he doesn't know what he's talking about and just tries to be controverisal for clickbait
fans now: Pronman's rankings are still terrible and he doesn't know what he's talking about...but WOOHOO we're #1!!

lol
This is the way

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Well he seems to still be very high on Kakko, and has him in a different tier to Fox. I think Laf will end up no. 1 though, in that same Special/Elite tier.

I am reasonably sure Laf will be in the Special tier. Not positive, but reasonably sure. He has him 4th on his list of the Top 31 prospects of the last 5 years (based off how he viewed them at the time of the draft), behind only Laine, Matthews, and Dahlin

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I am reasonably sure Laf will be in the Special tier. Not positive, but reasonably sure. He has him 4th on his list of the Top 31 prospects of the last 5 years (based off how he viewed them at the time of the draft), behind only Laine, Matthews, and Dahlin
Well then, if Laf puts up a Kakko -like rookie season, Quinn needs to trebuchet'd into the sun.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
He's low on K'Andre also.

this is where you guys make me chuckle -
calling it "being low on the guy" for a player being ranked as 8th prospect on the #1 prospect pipeline

especially K'Andre, who's high hopes have always been based on projected development,
he hasn't done much, yet, at most competitive levels for his age, and is somewhat new to D

Howden and Gauthier have proven a little more to-date, and Krav has always been rated somewhat higher than K'Andre since pre-draft year
having KAndre 8th, and behind Fox and Nils on D, is no insult
and could easily have been placed just behind, instead of just ahead, of Roberston

NONE of that undersells how very good K'Andre MAY become

Reactions: egelband

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
this is where you guys make me chuckle -
calling it "being low on the guy" for a player being ranked as 8th prospect on the #1 prospect pipeline

especially K'Andre, who's high hopes have always been based on projected development,
he hasn't done much, yet, at most competitive levels for his age, and is somewhat new to D

Howden and Gauthier have proven a little more to-date, and Krav has always been rated somewhat higher than K'Andre since pre-draft year
having KAndre 8th, and behind Fox and Nils on D, is no insult
and could easily have been placed just behind, instead of just ahead, of Roberston

NONE of that undersells how very good K'Andre MAY become

Im not even a huge K'Andre proponent like some Rangers fans, but the fact that he had him as "Legit NHLer", which I've learned from reading all the teams rankings, in Pronman-speak means dime-a-dozen b-grade prospect. I thought Miller had a little more upside than that.

MadHookUp

Jul 24, 2005
Its interesting to see how high he is on Howden and Gauthier. And makes me think even more about the expansion draft. Trading Keane who is exempt for Gauthier makes me think the Rangers think very highly of him as well. And they clearly love Howden. A year ago I would have just assumed that Hajek was gone. Assuming we keep Strome and protect him, we can only protect one of Howden, Gauthier, and Lemuiex. Andersson as well if he has a great season in the SHL and is already playing well. I wonder if a trade of Buch/Strome is in their plans. I wonder how they expect Fast to take a discount without a NMC, and they would be nuts to give him one.

Reactions: egelband

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
well i'm going to assume their top 2 will be Hughes and Hischier. I don't like how they stack up against Pettersson and Hughes, for example. And then the prospect depth afterwards. Ty Smith is alright i guess. Nolan Foote? How does he stack up against Podkolzin, Hoglander, etc.

They can be top 5 simply because they have 2 #1 picks under the age of 23 but top 2 is too far.

And I don't even like Vancouver and think Pettersson and especially Hughes are a slightly overhyped.

Never heard anyone say that Petterson is overhyped.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Im not even a huge K'Andre proponent like some Rangers fans, but the fact that he had him as "Legit NHLer", which I've learned from reading all the teams rankings, in Pronman-speak means dime-a-dozen b-grade prospect. I thought Miller had a little more upside than that.

If he "clicks all the boxes" KAndre can be the star D,
but i can see Pronman's thinking that he hasn't earned that yet, alot has been projected based on his size, athleticism and mindset
Assuming AHL plays a reasonable season, he should get lots of good experience this year

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I don't have an issue with Miller's ranking, but Pronman saying he isn't very certain K'Andre will turn into a top 4 defenseman is something I can understand people being unpleased about

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY

lol
Pronman's rankings are the most credible prospect rankings in the media. Prospect projections are inherently a crap-shoot. He is been right more often than anyone else. And he continually gets better at it by constantly examining and owning up to his misses unlike most who try to argue they were right about someone until forced to acknowledge reality (ie Lias on this board).

In particular he considers skating ability crucial to success in today's NHL. His opinion on Howden seems consistent with the front office, but not the fan base obviously. Clearly re: Howden & Gauthier he values the tool kit in a prospect much more than actual production. And I've heard similar critiscism's of Miller from others that obviously is different than our front office. When it comes to prospect rankings it's very easy to criticize since some many highly rated prospects don;t make it. The key, in addition to actually knowing what you're talking about and watching a tremendous amount of hockey, is to continually learn from your misses, and not dig in.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Never heard anyone say that Petterson is overhyped.

Well people are penciling him as a top 5 center in the league already, and he's never even hit a P/PG yet, outscored on his own team by Bozo Miller this year. And this is on a team that plays an offensive game, has a deadly PP (which he is a big part of) and had the most PP opportunities in the NHL besides Colorado. If he's so great why isn't his production better?

I mean, yeah, he projects as a star in the coming years but people are getting way ahead.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Pronman's rankings are the most credible prospect rankings in the media. Prospect projections are inherently a crap-shoot. He is been right more often than anyone else. And he continually gets better at it by constantly examining and owning up to his misses unlike most who try to argue they were right about someone until forced to acknowledge reality (ie Lias on this board).

In particular he considers skating ability crucial to success in today's NHL. His opinion on Howden seems consistent with the front office, but not the fan base obviously. Clearly re: Howden & Gauthier he values the tool kit in a prospect much more than actual production. And I've heard similar critiscism's of Miller from others that obviously is different than our front office. When it comes to prospect rankings it's very easy to criticize since some many highly rated prospects don;t make it. The key, in addition to actually knowing what you're talking about and watching a tremendous amount of hockey, is to continually learn from your misses, and not dig in.

I was talking about the fan reactions to his rankings...wasn't getting into his credibility or whatever.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I have no qualms with the actual numerical rankings (I mean I do, but everyone uses different measures in ranking people). I just dislike the qualitative label he gives guys. For instance, I think Fox should be a "elite"; Miller a "high-end/special"; Howden a "legit NHL player," among others. Also, excluding Tarmo but including Kjellberg, and including Rueschhoff and Khodorenko but nor Richards is puzzling. Reunanen is way better than Kjellberg and likely much better than Skinner (and maybe even Rykov). Richards might not have quite the upside of Khodorenko, but he's got more of "sure-thing" skill set and should at least be included over someone like Rueschhoff who has a couple interesting tools but is super raw.

Anyway I guess those things aren't huge deals, outside the omission of Reunanen.

Last edited:

MadHookUp

Jul 24, 2005
In defense of Pronman, he is one person. You know how difficult it would be to scout every single kid from 16-22? He can't watch every game of every player. I personally think he does an amazing job, even if I disagree with him.

Reactions: bobbop

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Weird. Chytil, Andersson, and Howden had graduated by last years rankings. How are they back?

And how do Kakko and Gauthier have the same skating score?

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Well people are penciling him as a top 5 center in the league already, and he's never even hit a P/PG yet, outscored on his own team by Bozo Miller this year. And this is on a team that plays an offensive game, has a deadly PP (which he is a big part of) and had the most PP opportunities in the NHL besides Colorado. If he's so great why isn't his production better?

I mean, yeah, he projects as a star in the coming years but people are getting way ahead.

At 21, he has 132 points in 139 games.

Yeah, overhyped.

Unbelievable.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's true that there is a chance that Kravtsov never plays in the NHL, and Howden has already "made it" as a regular. But still, it's weird to see.

Since we drafted Kravtsov things have shaken out a lot better on the wings than I would have ever expected. The Panarin signing---the lottery wins of Kakko and Lafreniere. Before all that happened Kravtsov was the legitimate heir to a top 6 scoring wing spot and now not so much. With Kreider and Panarin signed long term and Buchnevich making improvement year to year and with Kakko and Lafreniere there are a lot of players in his way and who are ready more than he is.

Kravtsov at 6'4 needs to be at least 200 lbs. The bigger he gets without losing mobility the better. That's one thing he will need to do to put himself back in the picture. He will also need to have good seasons whether they're in the KHL or AHL.

After Kakko and Chytil--Howden is the youngest player on our roster. He's even younger than Fox and Lindgren. Brett is also a bit underweight and weak for his frame....and Kakko is the same. Development isn't just the mental, technical and skill sides of the game--development is also moving and coming into your physical prime. Most of the young Rangers aren't there yet.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Weird. Chytil, Andersson, and Howden had graduated by last years rankings. How are they back? /QUOTE]

changed format this year:
Pronman: 2020-21 NHL organizational rankings
"This year’s organizational ranking will be different than previous years.
First, it is occurring before the NHL Draft and not after, although I will make an updated version following the draft.
Second, this year’s version will have full evaluations with tool grades of all players in an organization who are 22 years old or younger as of Sept. 15, 2020, regardless of how many NHL games they’ve played, to go along with the rest of the players in the pipeline.
It will not include skaters older than 22 as of Sept. 15, 2020, who have played 25 NHL games in a season or 50 career games; goalies with 10 games in a season or 25 in a career; nor any player age 26 or older as of Sept. 15, 2020.
Thus, all players from the 2016 to 2019 NHL drafts who were first-year eligible at their draft are incorporated into this year’s organizational rankings. ..."

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
If he "clicks all the boxes" KAndre can be the star D,
but i can see Pronman's thinking that he hasn't earned that yet, alot has been projected based on his size, athleticism and mindset
Assuming AHL plays a reasonable season, he should get lots of good experience this year

If he "clicks all the boxes" fill in the blank can be the star D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad