Prospect Info: Prokhor Poltapov, F (33rd overall, 2021) CSKA Moskva (KHL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
What the f*** is their coach doing lol
He's on the 4th line.

Poltapov’s goal gives him 10 points on the season, which places him in a tie for second among all KHL scorers.

The goal gives Poltapov points in all five games this season as CSKA has gotten off to a disappointing 2-3 start. His nine total points (3+6) currently place him in a tie with CSKA linemate Maxim Sorkin for second in KHL scoring, while the third member of that line, Vitaly Abramov, leads the way with 11 points (5+6).

Their line has been feasting to start the season. My guess is that their coach doesn't want to mess with their usage for fear that it will mean that they are less impactful and not more.

:dunno:

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Poltapov had 13 points in 56 games last year in the KHL. This year he has 11 points in 9 games.

I am not saying he is going to be a superstar but that level of production in the KHL tracks with some of the better Russian players.(Of course a short sample size too)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ehran

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
What's changed with him as a player? This is a huge jump in production, obviously in a tiny sample size. Just for argument's sake if he finished the season at this rate he'd be projecting as an elite player.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
What's changed with him as a player? This is a huge jump in production, obviously in a tiny sample size. Just for argument's sake if he finished the season at this rate he'd be projecting as an elite player.
I think it's probably a combination of opportunity, chemistry with his linemates and comfort level with the KHL. If you consider the KHL is similar in level to the NHL among Russian leagues and the gaps between it and the MHL or VHL, there is likely some level of adjustment needed for players much like rookies coming into the NHL.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Some of it is also playing time. There were too many games last year when he was getting 3-4 minutes total in games with CSKA. Most players don't do much with that. They've had a lot of departures including old friend Greg O'Renko so there is more opportunity, even if his line is mostly still deemed the fourth line.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Some of it is also playing time. There were too many games last year when he was getting 3-4 minutes total in games with CSKA. Most players don't do much with that. They've had a lot of departures including old friend Greg O'Renko so there is more opportunity, even if his line is mostly still deemed the fourth line.

Those are good explanations, I assume he was leaned on by his team in the MHL, and to some degree the V. His stats in those leagues don't really suggest there was an explosion waiting to happen.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Those are good explanations, I assume he was leaned on by his team in the MHL, and to some degree the V. His stats in those leagues don't really suggest there was an explosion waiting to happen.

VHL is such an odd league too, very inconsistent in level of competition and teammate from what I've seen and read. If we go back to his last full-time work in the MHL in the 2022 playoffs, he put up 18 points in 19 games so some measure of success (6th in the MHL playoffs in scoring overall). There were times last year where he sat on the bench without a shift so this seems tied to maturity and TOI opportunity. I don't know if it's sustainable - I would lean toward no - but it's refreshing to see him becoming a regular KHLer.

Reactions: SnuggaRUDE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad