Horse Racing: $1 million Pennsylvania Derby highlights Parx (PA) card on Saturday

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
interesting list of states and canadian provinces that i saw at the jockey club site. it makes me wonder if one day if a trainer like nick zito or lukas would be tempted to train horses foaled from states that are not KY, FL, NY, etc. guys like cox, asmussen and pletcher are already tied up with the 6 digit yearlings so they can't be bothered with NC, WY, etc. i used zito and lukas as examples as their list of clients have dwindled over the years.
Some states, especially the larger but less populated western states, excel in quarter horses and in certain locales parimutuel wagering is not available. Some have a weekend or summer event (state fair) to showcase racing. I read where Nebraska, which does have active T-bred racing, may be looking to expand based on the approval of sports betting with a goal to enhance racing in-state

Ely, NV is hosting racing this weekend and that is rare in Nevada.

The Bruins'(NHL) owner once managed a track in Birmingham, AL and I remember when ESPN broadcast from there but the sport never flourished and eventually greyhounds ran.

Zito tried Oaklawn a couple or so years ago but that track is big-time and Arkansas is booming in almost every category.

As far as foals, yeah, the big eight or ten states dominate. New England was once plentiful but now the sport is nearly dead in five of those states and breeding rarely exists. Unless someone has a farm, it is unlikely to pursue. A New Hampshire foal won in Kentucky less than five years ago but now NH had zero horses beed in 2022 per the Jockey Club.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Some states, especially the larger but less populated western states, excel in quarter horses and in some of those parimutuel wagering is not available. Some have a weekend or event to showcase racing. I read where Nebraska, which does have active T-bred racing. may be looking to expand based on the approval of sports betting to boost racing.

Ely, NV is hosting racing this weekend and to my knowledge that is rare in Nevada.

The Bruins'(NHL) owner once managed a track in Birmingham, AL and I remember when ESPN broadcast from there but the sport never flourished and eventually greyhounds ran.

Zito tried Oaklawn a couple of so years ago but that track is big-time and Arkansas is booming in almost every category.

As far as foals, yeah, the big eight or ten states dominate. New England was once plentiful but now the sport is nearly dead in five of those states and breeding rarely exists. Unless someone has a farm, it is likely unpopular. A New Hampshire foal won in Kentucky maybe five years ago but now NH has zero horses need in 2022 per the Jockey Club.
because New England has gone the route of Standardbred/harness racing

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
because New England has gone the route of Standardbred/harness racing
In Maine, plentiful. In Mass, one track. I don't think harness remains in the other four. As far as breeding, I can't stay with certainty.

Vermont, Rhode Island and NH all lost T-bred tracks, the latter two were once very active. Connecticut hosted dogs but I don't recall horses of any variety there.

New Hampshire is going to join Mass eventually (2026 or so?) in outlawing betting on greyhounds from any venue even though only West Virginia hosts that sport in the US.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Edward Maher trains and owns the winner in the Laurel opener. I think the winning horse may be the only starter Maher had sent out this year, fourth time out. A 5-to-1 shot with none other than Sheldon Russell on board.

Through Equibase, the most recent win for the trainer came July 4, 2019. Fireworks also today for him.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Skowhegan THU Recap;

Bloodhorse-FRI;

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Saratoga (New York):
  • Race 1: Jimmy P (Stephen Mulqueen/Keri Brion) won the $150,000 Grade I Jonathan Sheppard Handicap by a tremendous 34 1/2 lengths. The 6-to-1 shot was trained by an emotional and appreciative Brion -- “Everything I know is because of him” -- who learned her craft under the guide of Sheppard, the Hall of Famer who passed away in 2023. The hurdles race was 2 3/8 miles.
Friday, August 16, 2024

Saratoga (New York):
  • Jockey Leaders: Irad Ortiz, Jr. leads Tyler Gaffalione and Flavien Prat by five victories among all riders.
  • Trainers Leaders: Chad Brown is up by five wins with Michael Maker next in line.
  • Saffie Joseph, Jr., Gulfstream's leading trainer, is at 41% this meet. Very impressive.
  • Race 2: Joseph Bealmear lodged an objection against Jose Ortiz but ultimately it was nullified by stewards. Bealmear is 20 years of age and usually rides in Arkansas or Kentucky, in just his second year as a rider.
  • Race 4: Three across in a thrilling finish.
  • Race 5: Lady Firefoot (Shaun Bridgmohan/Melanie Giddings) gave the jockey and trainer their second victories at the meet. Bridgmohan, now in his mid 40s, has had just three rides at the meet. He has had just 59 mounts in 2024, mostly at Gulfstream, down significantly from 1,000+ in 2012.
  • Race 6: Dunedin Causeway (Luis Rivera, Jr./Jennifer Paragallo) gave the very excited trainer her fifth lifetime win. Her four other wins came at Tampa Bay Downs. She is the daughter of Ernie Paragallo who was banned from racing many years ago and the former owner of Unbridled's Song who was sent off the favorite in the 1996 Kentucky Derby. She is in her third year of training.
  • Race 10: Vino Rouge (John Velazquez/Tony Dutrow) was DQ'd from victory and placed fourth following a long review that determined Wrigleyville (Tyler Gaffalione/Jack Sisterson) was impeded; that mount finished third. I believe this was strictly an inquiry and not an objection from what I saw. Mixologist (Joel Rosario/Brad Cox) was put up to win.
  • Race 11: Bobby Jean (John Velazquez/Mark Hennig) won the reduced field of six, after 10 scratches, We all knew Velazquez would find a way to win this race following a rare DQ to the Hall of Famer. Apparently not, good value at 7-to-2.

Last edited:
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
A horse foaled in North Carolina is in race 2 at Colonial today. I don't recall too many NC horses in recent years or even decades. South Carolina has a few training tracks and an occasional foal will run at places like Laurel especially with Hammy Smith training. But NC?
i just looked at the race chart. the horse went off at 23-1. hit the board and actually came in 3rd. didn't lose by that much either. robert werneth is the name of the trainer. i'm very impressed with this guy. maybe one day he'll have better stock to work with and eventually enter the nationwide top 100 in earnings.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
i just looked at the race chart. the horse went off at 23-1. hit the board and actually came in 3rd. didn't lose by that much either. robert werneth is the name of the trainer. i'm very impressed with this guy. maybe one day he'll have better stock to work with and eventually enter the nationwide top 100 in earnings.
I saw he began at Retama (TX) roughly a dozen years ago but seems to be at Tampa and the mid-Atlantic seasonally with otherwise small stables.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Gulf's Pick 6 could reach $2 million this weekend.

Laurel's forced payouts for Pick 5 and Pick 6 bets on Sunday should attract interests as well.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Track conditions

Woodbine's surfaces today:
  • All weather: 1-3-7-11-13
  • Inner turf (good): 2-5-9-12
  • E.P. Taylor Turf (good): 4-6-8-10
Laurel is fast and firm.

Saratoga is fast and good.

Gulfstream is off the turf.

Monmouth is fast and firm.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Bloodhorse-SAT;

FRI's Skowhegan recap; post time for final day 1 pm

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Distressing circumstances. One day prior to her own foal date, too.
She gave birth to the foal. So hopefully that was as comfortable as it could’ve been. I don’t know the science as much behind it, if she can be off her feet or not.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
She gave birth to the foal. So hopefully that was as comfortable as it could’ve been. I don’t know the science as much behind it, if she can be off her feet or not.
Different circumstances of course but I remember when the wife of a now former Flyers' player died after giving birth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad