Value of: Price 50% retained to Buffalo

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
How much is he worth? He most likely never lives up to that contract, even if he rebounds to best goalie in the world next year, he won't maintain it for more than a couple more seasons. So if Montreal get serious about a re-build they need to move on from him, they won't be able to bottom out otherwise.

Is there anything reasonable Buffalo can offer to get him at $5ish million going forward? Does Price's contract length even at 50% hurt the value drastically? Would Montreal want futures or pro-ready players more?

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Clearly worth the Dahlin pick. That's what you wanted to hear, right? May as well get right to it.

I'm a Buffalo fan, I also said reasonable. O'Reilly is reasonable, though it's the same problem with Price of ROR coming in and making them better then they should be. Would ROR be a better offer then say Nylander and a pick, or a package of picks?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
How much is he worth? He most likely never lives up to that contract, even if he rebounds to best goalie in the world next year, he won't maintain it for more than a couple more seasons. So if Montreal get serious about a re-build they need to move on from him, they won't be able to bottom out otherwise.

Is there anything reasonable Buffalo can offer to get him at $5ish million going forward? Does Price's contract length even at 50% hurt the value drastically? Would Montreal want futures or pro-ready players more?

If Bergevin trades Price and retains 50%, I hope he is given a lifetime contract as GM.
Go after Tavares and keep your pick, trade Patches + two of your (4) 2nd's you have for a 2C and see where that takes you.
If Tavares doesn't sign, package some of those 2nds + patches for as high a 1st you can get and draft a top 6 winger with #3 and a C with that other 1st you get. No one trade is going to turn around and fix the team. 1-2 years of suffering will be do you guys a lot of help. Don't blow it up, you can't anyhow.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I'm a Buffalo fan, I also said reasonable. O'Reilly is reasonable, though it's the same problem with Price of ROR coming in and making them better then they should be. Would ROR be a better offer then say Nylander and a pick, or a package of picks?

Retaining on Price and getting only ROR back doesn't make us better since O'Reilly isn't worth 7.5M + half of Price salary 5.25M... I prefer having price at 10.5M than O'Reilly at 12.5M. I also think Price on it's own has a greater impact on a team espacially Montreal or Buffalo when you look at who else they have in net.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Price at 50% is underpaid... you won't get him at a reasonable cost in that scenario

True, that s what makes it so valuable to another team. Price at full price has negative value, so 25-50% gets Montreal a valuable asset. Would ROR work if we took back a cap dump, or maybe something like Reinhart and a first, getting Montreal a natural center who is young rather then the expensive luxury player like ROR?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

You're asking for Montreal to carry 5.25 mil of dead cap for 8 years. That hurts them unless a rebuild takes a decade. You aren't starting at reasonable.

And goaltending is different than skaters. You really think Price can't play at an elite level for more than the next couple of seasons when Rinne is probably going to win a Vezina at 35 and Luongo is still a high end goalie at 39. Goalie aging curves are a whole lot more wacky than skaters aging curves.

ROR isn't reasonable at that cap hit or retention. And from a Montreal POV, Nylander and a pick doesn't get Price without retention.

And all this is moot, since Price has a NMC, he's going nowhere unless he wants too, and it'll be somewhere he wants to play. And if Price is going somewhere else, he'd probably prefer somewhere out west.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Let me get this straight, you want the Habs to essentially retain 50% of Price contract + 7 .5 million of ROR contract. Basically what you are saying is that ROR is worth about 14 million... but Price isn't worth 10 million.

I swear some people can't do simple math.

No I wanted to know what price at 50% is worth, someone else said ROR, which I don't think is reasonable anyways as ROR is a win now piece and if they want to win now Price is a far better piece.

As to the other poster saying Price can play out the contract. I'm not saying he only has a couple years at an elite level, I'm saying he probably has a few years left as best goalie in the world. He can and most likely will play out his entire deal, it's just that he will likely decline towards the end and if he happens to not be the best in the world that contract will look bad.

The purpose of this topic was to find the value of a retained Price should the Habs decide to go full on rebuild. ROR is a retool type deal. A rebuild would have MTL moving Price and Weber due to age/contract while gaining future assets and holding on to young talent like Drouin. I realize retaining $5 million plus adding O'Reilly at $7.5 is bad management. But getting young ELC players via trade or picks can offset the retention on Price or Weber. It's not a great situation for Montreal, but in my opinion it's probably better than keeping Price's full contract for 8 years + allowing him to keep you a middling team while trying to add young high end talent via the draft.

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
Come on, how could Montreal retain 50% of a contract just signed? That idea is just nonsense! Any GM that agrees to this should be fired and banned from the sport. You’d be asking Montreal to puck up $40m to get nothing.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
50% retained? lol that would be hilarious.

As an Avalanche fan I'd give Varlamov + Jost + 2018 1st + Meloche for CP at 50%.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Retention, value, and all other issues aside.
Price has a full NMC and there’s no way he’d waive it for Buffalo.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
50% retained? lol that would be hilarious.

As an Avalanche fan I'd give Varlamov + Jost + 2018 1st + Meloche for CP at 50%.

good offer. but montreal isn't trading price anywhere, and certainly not to a division rival who just won a franchise dman in the lottery..and at 50% ? lmao

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Come on, how could Montreal retain 50% of a contract just signed? That idea is just nonsense! Any GM that agrees to this should be fired and banned from the sport. You’d be asking Montreal to puck up $40m to get nothing.

Montreal's GM should be fired and banned from the sport anyways. Besides this is a value of thread, nothing wrong with asking the question. the Colorado fan gets it, and that's more than I thought he'd be worth honestly, that's why we ask questions, to get answers.

Mittlestadt + next year's 1st + 31st this year move the needle at all?

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

In real life, I don't think that any GM would survive the decision to retain $5m for the next 8 seasons. It would be insane, asinine.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
In real life, I don't think that any GM would survive the decision to retain $5m for the next 8 seasons. It would be insane, asinine.

what would be more reasonable? Would Price with 25% retained but with less coming back be more intresting?

would Price at 25% retained for Asplund + next year's first and a third make any sense? Asplund looks like a pretty good center prospect and next year's first is probably still a lotto pick.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
what would be more reasonable? Would Price with 25% retained but with less coming back be more intresting?

would Price at 25% retained for Asplund + next year's first and a third make any sense? Asplund looks like a pretty good center prospect and next year's first is probably still a lotto pick.
To be honest, there's no deal to be had. I can't see the Habs management handing out such a record contract - he's the highest paid goalie, by what, some 25% or more? - and then getting rid of the player before the new deal even kicks in.
Furthermore, consider that Price's value is at the lowest now and that would be even less enticing for Montreal.
I think that Price is still one of the best goalies in the league and this year was an anomaly, due to how bad the Habs were.

For all these reasons, I think that for the Habs to possibly entertain moving him w/ a 25% retained, one would need a top roster player with a good term contract, a very good prospect and a couple of picks (1st, 2nd) coming back Montréal's way.
But realistically, Price is there to stay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad