Value of: PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE TRADE

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Digital Kid

Jun 5, 2015
Calgary
Probably tough to prove historically, although perhaps Sam Pollock with the Canadiens did this is the 1970s, but if you were, say, Boston or Carolina, would you throw something at the Blackhawks so that they RETAIN Patrick Kane and NOT trade him to the Rangers?

Admittedly you are trading prospects or picks that would also benefit other teams, but my thinking is that you (Boston) gain not by addition but by preventing others from adding.

Is this even possible in a 32-team league?

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Probably tough to prove historically, although perhaps Sam Pollock with the Canadiens did this is the 1970s, but if you were, say, Boston or Carolina, would you throw something at the Blackhawks so that they RETAIN Patrick Kane and NOT trade him to the Rangers?

Admittedly you are trading prospects or picks that would also benefit other teams, but my thinking is that you (Boston) gain not by addition but by preventing others from adding.

Not for Kane. I don't have any fear of the Rags.

I might pay something to keep Maier out of the Metro...not to SJ. I might facilitate a Vegas deal where we get a veteran F and they get specs to send to SJ.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I don’t think you can do that.

it’s always one of these not in writing type of things like if Carolina acquire a secondary player from Chicago like Laf fert and in the surface they overpaid. Part of the reason is that they said we give you this but you can’t trade Kane to the rangers, if not then we only gibpve you this lesser package.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Years ago, there was a trade involving swapping draft picks where a condition of the deal was that one team not take a particular player in the draft. Buffalo dealt Alan Haworth and a third round pick to the Caps for two second rounders and a condition of the deal was that the Caps not select Phil Housley... who they had no intention of drafting. They instead happily took a useful checking line player in the trade and selected the fearsome Scott Stevens instead.

Reactions: Guttersniped

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
How cowardly.
Trust your team.
Dont't waste cycles plotting to undermine rivals.
Just make your team deep and ready

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Pollock used his powers of persuasion to work deals that involved his team. Working the system so the Habs would be in position to draft Lafleur is a prime example. Did he plant seeds through conversation with competing clubs? Maybe. Did he outright get one team to do a deal with another that didn't include Montreal, benefited him? That wouldn't be kosher.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Sounds like something attached to future considerations.

“2023 3rd round pick becomes a 2023 2nd round pick if Kane finishes the season on any team except the Rangers”.

Reactions: Digital Kid

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The closest thing I can think of something like this happening is when Erik Karlsson was traded and there was the condition that he could not appear on an eastern conference team’s reserve list before a certain date. That was after the Mike Hoffman trade where the Senators got a 6th and the Sharks immediately flipped him to the Panthers for a 2nd.

I can’t see something like what’s been proposed actually happening though. Teams have to actually trade tangible assets.

Digital Kid

Jun 5, 2015
Calgary
You mean collusion?

This would go down well in arbitration courts.
Not sure how this is collusion. This is between you and Chicago.

They might exchange Boston's 4th and 5th rounders for Chicago's 5th rounder, but Boston's 4th is conditional and becomes their 2025 1st if Kane stays in Chicago this year.

Something like that.

My theory is that a less difficult Stanley Cup run is worth the price paid for this last chance to dance.

Reactions: Space umpire

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
So you're going to burn a bridge with one of the greatest players in franchise history because he wants to move on when you are rebuilding? For what, a draft pick?

Very Game of Thrones...

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Years ago, there was a trade involving swapping draft picks where a condition of the deal was that one team not take a particular player in the draft. Buffalo dealt Alan Haworth and a third round pick to the Caps for two second rounders and a condition of the deal was that the Caps not select Phil Housley... who they had no intention of drafting. They instead happily took a useful checking line player in the trade and selected the fearsome Scott Stevens instead.
Also happened with the Sedins in 1999 and with Nash/Bouwmeester in 2002 - both times with the Trashers.

In 1999 Vancouver traded 1oa to Atlanta for 2oa on the condition that they would not pick either Sedin.
In 2002 Florida and Columbus swapped spots (#1 to #3). Florida then traded a 3rd and 4th round pick to Atlanta to not draft Bouwmeester.

it’s always one of these not in writing type of things like if Carolina acquire a secondary player from Chicago like Laf fert and in the surface they overpaid. Part of the reason is that they said we give you this but you can’t trade Kane to the rangers, if not then we only give you this lesser package.
Yeah. This would be the way to achieve it. I'm sure these conversations happen.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

Is something like this what you're talking about (ie offering the Giants Venafro so they lose interest in Rincon)?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Also happened with the Sedins in 1999 and with Nash/Bouwmeester in 2002 - both times with the Trashers.

In 1999 Vancouver traded 1oa to Atlanta for 2oa on the condition that they would not pick either Sedin.
In 2002 Florida and Columbus swapped spots (#1 to #3). Florida then traded a 3rd and 4th round pick to Atlanta to not draft Bouwmeester.

Yeah. This would be the way to achieve it. I'm sure these conversations happen.

rules around draft picks are different than current nhl roster players

the Sabres and kings mad a trade of flipping 1st round picks in 2008 drsft. Buffalo gave them a 3rd to flip….the condition of the trade ….the GMs each wrote down the player they would pick. If same name then no trade.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
rules around draft picks are different than current nhl roster players

the Sabres and kings mad a trade of flipping 1st round picks in 2008 drsft. Buffalo gave them a 3rd to flip….the condition of the trade ….the GMs each wrote down the player they would pick. If same name then no trade.
Cool - thanks - yeah, was just responding to the earlier example from the draft.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
It would take multiple teams doing that to equal the assets you would have gotten trading that player.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Not sure how this is collusion. This is between you and Chicago.

They might exchange Boston's 4th and 5th rounders for Chicago's 5th rounder, but Boston's 4th is conditional and becomes their 2025 1st if Kane stays in Chicago this year.

Something like that.

My theory is that a less difficult Stanley Cup run is worth the price paid for this last chance to dance.

It's paying a supplier to not do business with your competitor. That's some major RICO charge with fin regulators.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I mean, the only way to stop a team from trading a player to another team is to trade for that player yourself

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
It would take multiple teams doing that to equal the assets you would have gotten trading that player.
I mean, the only way to stop a team from trading a player to another team is to trade for that player yourself
Not necessarily. Maybe that is the case in this Kane situation where it is reported that he will only accept a trade to one particular team - but in most scenarios teams have multiple comparable offers. You would only need to offer enough to make the total return better overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad