GDT: PreSeason VI: Ducks@Oilers 7PM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I put them with a "/" as they're fighting for one spot. But agreed, if I had my way Lander would be a call up only and start in the AHL.

I pretty much agree, but with the increased depth at center, I don't know that Lander sees the NHL any time soon this year.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
So you want versteeg at centre over caggiula, when versteeg has looked "ok" on the wing as well as yak over him when yak has shown next to nothing in camp nor last season. Yeah i think I'll go with caggiula in my top nine to start the year just like im sure the coaches will. If he isn't great then demote him, but until someone else shows they deserve that spot more it should be his.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
In 1st period I believe. It was a pretty amazing. We need way more of that

Yak had a strong game yesterday and I am not sure why people are afraid to admit it. He was buzzing on forecheck and made a number of good cycle decisions. He was very effective down low which is really odd for him

He really needed that game

Fair enough, I got up to go to the washroom at one point so must have missed it. Doesnt change the point he still didnt produce and that would have been his one shot for the game.

I agree he looked good but there are a lot of caveats with that. Check the Anaheim lineup, it was an AHL caliber team at best and he was playing with a solid line Draisaitly and Maroon both looked better than he did mostly because they were willing to battle for the puck. He's looked this good before and failed to produce he really needs to show something tangible when he gets chances like this.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
So you want versteeg at centre over caggiula, when versteeg has looked "ok" on the wing as well as yak over him when yak has shown next to nothing in camp nor last season. Yeah i think I'll go with caggiula in my top nine to start the year just like im sure the coaches will. If he isn't great then demote him, but until someone else shows they deserve that spot more it should be his.

You mean I want a proven versatile NHL veteran that has 2x Stanley Cup over a completely unproven college player that has a couple goals in the first couple preseason games?

Yeah I think I'll go with Versteeg. Again, Caggiula has not proven anything. If he completely outplays everyone else competing for that last spot then fine, give him a shot. To say he's earned it at this point is LUDICROUS.

Yakupov...we'll see how that plays out.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
what i dont get is why arent they playing pul on the point on the pp ?

correct me if Im wrong but hasnt he looked good there during the wjc and the fin league ?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
what i dont get is why arent they playing pul on the point on the pp ?

correct me if Im wrong but hasnt he looked good there during the wjc and the fin league ?

Puljujarvi is getting prime PP time this preseason and he has been playing at the spot right where he is the most comfortable. He just needs to adjust to the NHL speed and NHL goalies\defense.
McLellan is trying to get him going but it might not be until 20 games into the season.
A stint in AHL didnt hurt Draisaitl... shouldnt be a bad thing for Puljujarvi

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I put them with a "/" as they're fighting for one spot. But agreed, if I had my way Lander would be a call up only and start in the AHL.

We would like that, but I wouldn't be surprised by Lander if he went back to Europe if the Oilers sent him back to Bakersfield again (assuming he cleared waivers).

At 25 years old and essentially a >PPG player at that level the past two times he's been down there, he's really got nothing left to prove in the AHL and his pro hockey career might be better served finding another org to give him a 2nd opinion.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
We would like that, but I wouldn't be surprised by Lander if he went back to Europe if the Oilers sent him back to Bakersfield again (assuming he cleared waivers).

At 25 years old and essentially a >PPG player at that level the past two times he's been down there, he's really got nothing left to prove in the AHL and his pro hockey career might be better served finding another org to give him a 2nd opinion.

Doubt Lander clears waivers. He is good at what he does and is cheap. Ideal pickup for a team looking for bottom 6 depth.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I agree.

If he does go on waivers it needs to happen in the next few days. Teams are trying to solidify their rosters so its unlikely Lander gets picked up.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
In 1st period I believe. It was a pretty amazing. We need way more of that

Yak had a strong game yesterday and I am not sure why people are afraid to admit it. He was buzzing on forecheck and made a number of good cycle decisions. He was very effective down low which is really odd for him

He really needed that game

He did have a really strong game. Couldn't buy a bounce but he was doing the rights things on the ice to move the puck and push offense.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
You mean I want a proven versatile NHL veteran that has 2x Stanley Cup over a completely unproven college player that has a couple goals in the first couple preseason games?

Yeah I think I'll go with Versteeg. Again, Caggiula has not proven anything. If he completely outplays everyone else competing for that last spot then fine, give him a shot. To say he's earned it at this point is LUDICROUS.

Yakupov...we'll see how that plays out.

Sure, that sounds all nice when you say it out loud, but there's a reason he's on a PTO and wasn't offered a multi-year deal by any team. For the record I want to sign Versteeg as depth for the team, but to the think he can play centre (a position he's played for half a season over his entire career) and to just gift him a spot in the top 9 over Caggiula is just awful. When he earns it he can have it. Same goes for Yak, he certainly hasn't earned a top 12 spot, let alone a top 14 spot on this team at this point.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Sure, that sounds all nice when you say it out loud, but there's a reason he's on a PTO and wasn't offered a multi-year deal by any team. For the record I want to sign Versteeg as depth for the team, but to the think he can play centre (a position he's played for half a season over his entire career) and to just gift him a spot in the top 9 over Caggiula is just awful. When he earns it he can have it. Same goes for Yak, he certainly hasn't earned a top 12 spot, let alone a top 14 spot on this team at this point.

Are people actually talking about Versteeg at centre? What? Just keep him at RW.

Caggiula is damn close to earning a spot as the 3C or on the wing. Let's see how the remaining games play out.

Caggiula and Versteeg are both ahead of Yak.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Are people actually talking about Versteeg at centre? What? Just keep him at RW.

Caggiula is damn close to earning a spot as the 3C or on the wing. Let's see how the remaining games play out.

Caggiula and Versteeg are both ahead of Yak.

The poster I quoted had him as his 3C in his lineup. Anyways my point was that people saying Caggiula is a rookie out of college he can't start in the top 9 are just being ridiculous. If he earns it (which he has at this point with 2 preseason games left) then he will get it. If he struggles he can always get demoted, but we're not giving spots to guys who have looked mediocre/bad in preseason just because they're vets or have been in the NHL for multiple years. I can pretty much guarantee that unless Caggiula lays an egg in his next 2 games and Yak + Versteeg both have the games of their lives, that Caggiula will be in the top 9 on opening night.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The poster I quoted had him as his 3C in his lineup. Anyways my point was that people saying Caggiula is a rookie out of college he can't start in the top 9 are just being ridiculous. If he earns it (which he has at this point with 2 preseason games left) then he will get it. If he struggles he can always get demoted, but we're not giving spots to guys who have looked mediocre/bad in preseason just because they're vets or have been in the NHL for multiple years. I can pretty much guarantee that unless Caggiula lays an egg in his next 2 games and Yak + Versteeg both have the games of their lives, that Caggiula will be in the top 9 on opening night.

Agreed. Caggiula is forcing his way into the lineup. Best players need to play. Period.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Waiver eligibility will still play a factor in the roster moves... as it always does.

For example... I doubt they will keep up both Caggiula AND Puljujarvi... and send down both Lander AND Pitlick who are waiver eligible.

I think there is competition this year... but when it comes down to it... they won't want to potentially lose multiple assets to the waiver wire and then when injuries hit they will be short of a player than could be a decent fill-in.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
He did have a really strong game. Couldn't buy a bounce but he was doing the rights things on the ice to move the puck and push offense.

That's how things tend to go for Yakupov. He starts playing well but the points take a few games to catch up. Happened when he was put on a line with Roy and Purcell a couple years ago, his strong play preceded his pick up in points by about a week.

I hope he makes the team as a top 9 forward. I'd definitely put him in over Versteeg.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Tanner Pearson got 4 game suspension. 2 preseason and 2 regular season games. So essentially he's only losing pay for two games. Complete load of crap. Should have been 4 regular season games. :rant:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Tanner Pearson got 4 game suspension. 2 preseason and 2 regular season games. So essentially he's only losing pay for two games. Complete load of crap. Should have been 4 regular season games. :rant:

Yeah the suspension system for preseason games is a bit of a joke. Should be any suspension is automatic to regular season as well as player suspended from gameplay during preseason. Would cut down a lot of nonsense, which really isn't that bad compared to years ago when there was blatant head hunting and goonery in preseason. Not sure the NHLPA would go for it though.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I agree... it should/could be changed by simply not letting the player play any more pre-season games AND then starting the actual suspension when the season starts so the player loses money and the team loses access to that player when they are playing games that actually count in the standings.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Yeah the suspension system for preseason games is a bit of a joke. Should be any suspension is automatic to regular season as well as player suspended from gameplay during preseason. Would cut down a lot of nonsense, which really isn't that bad compared to years ago when there was blatant head hunting and goonery in preseason. Not sure the NHLPA would go for it though.

Tanner Pearson better get challenged next time we meet the kings. Henderson had to take a beating from Gubranson after boarding Ekblad. However, I feel like players aren't willing combatants when Nurse drops the gloves anymore (Sheppard's gloves stayed glued on when Nurse tried to fight him). No way Davidson should have received the usual Oiler obligatory hit with Lucic and Nurse on the ice. Still disappointed at the team reaction though; when I see how other teams react to their own taking a dirty hit i.e New York Rangers collective reaction after the Gudas hit on Vesey.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Tanner Pearson better get challenged next time we meet the kings. Henderson had to take a beating from Gubranson after boarding Ekblad. However, I feel like players aren't willing combatants when Nurse drops the gloves anymore (Sheppard's gloves stayed glued on when Nurse tried to fight him). No way Davidson should have received the usual Oiler obligatory hit with Lucic and Nurse on the ice. Still disappointed at the team reaction though; when I see how other teams react to their own taking a dirty hit i.e New York Rangers collective reaction after the Gudas hit on Vesey.

Very disappointing reaction from our team. Our goalie got ran minutes later as well. Could you imagine if that was the Blues? They would have jumped the guys en mass.

Pearson shouldn't have a choice, he needs to drop the gloves and be done with it. Nurse seems like the appropriate one, Davidson was his D partner and good chance they are the 3rd pairing this year.

If Pearson doesn't honour the code, it's open season on their skilled players. Maybe Toffoli gets targeted? We need our pound of flesh or we'll never be respected by our opponents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad