GDT: PreSeason VI: Ducks@Oilers 7PM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Simpson - I see a player here, he's likely to be a bottom-4 defenseman in the NHL. He wasn't bad, he played ok, he's just not "ready" for lack of better term. Will be one of the next cuts.

that's good to hear. hopefully one more year in the minors and he can make the jump.

how was Landers camp overall? has he shown anything that makes him worth keeping?

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Late to the party, but should we be concerned that our 2nd, 3rd & 4th lines only out scored the Ducks AHL forwards 2-1?

No, it's pre-season. Time again it has been shown that AHL plugs on average outperform established NHL talent in the preseason due to needing to make the roster and thus playing like their lives depend on it.

Also, once we are able to properly practice our PP that would add another goal, maybe two, in there.

Last edited:

PinSeeker

Aug 22, 2005
YLW
that's good to hear. hopefully one more year in the minors and he can make the jump.

how was Landers camp overall? has he shown anything that makes him worth keeping?

He hasn't done anything to make me believe he needs to be on the NHL club come opening night. Very "blah" camp for me. Pitlick has outplayed him significantly.

Things that stood out for me:

- Puljujarvi has a wicked release. If we can figure out how to get him some looks on the PP, kid could pot 30 as a rookie. However, the rest of his game is still raw. Grade A cough-up caused the Ana goal. I'm 50/50 whether is on the opening night roster or not.
- Larsson is extremely composed in his own zone. Made a few plays to avoid pressure that we haven't seen around here for a while. Him and Klef look to be trending towards our 25+ min per night pairing.
- Maroon certainly looks like he has more juice in his legs and can both sustain his intensity and keep his legs moving. Good to see
- Reinhart again with a meh game. Not seeing him on the opening night roster.
- Talbot bounced back nicely, great to see. Need him to be excellent right off the bat
- Yakupov was dangerous all night, although nothing to show for it. Almost reckless at times, which again shows some of his lack of hockey iq

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Caggiula deserves a higher spot than 4th in the lineup if we're basing it off preseason. He's easily been miles better than Versteeg or Yak. I'm almost positive he'll be in the top 9 to start the year.

I hear you friend. We must temper our expectations though. Drake is a young man with very low miles. We should ease him in on a low minutes line.

There's more to pre season than just picking the guys who scored and show the most heart and then plugging those folks into our top nine. You know that

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
- Yakupov was dangerous all night, although nothing to show for it. Almost reckless at times, which again shows some of his lack of hockey iq

Thing is he wasnt dangerous. He got the puck and made some moves that looked like he was getting somewhere but he never did. He'd pick up the puck and turn toward the net and bobble it and lose it. He took the puck wide that one time, looked like he was around the defender but ended up getting forced out and crushed into the boards behind the net. He looks slick with the puck but there's just not enough room on the ice for him. He can skate with the puck but he just cant get it anywhere.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Honestly feels like meh. I'm not trying to crap on him, he's just not doing that much. He hasn't been "bad" just underwhelming.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I hear you friend. We must temper our expectations though. Drake is a young man with very low miles. We should ease him in on a low minutes line.

There's more to pre season than just picking the guys who scored and show the most heart and then plugging those folks into our top nine. You know that

While I agree on tempering expectations, I thought I was clear when I said he should start in the top 9, not that he will necessarily stay there as the season progresses. Its really not about him showing heart or scoring a couple goals. Its about his overall play. He creates more for his line mates, himself, and has shown a 2-way game that is miles better than anything guys like Versteeg, Yak, Puljujarvi, etc have shown this year.

Feels kind of pointless to start him on the 4th line when he's deserved a shot to prove that this isn't just a fluke. If he underperforms, demote him, so be it. But I'm not basing my opinion on him due to some fluke goals and decent play like Slepyshev last preseason. This kid constantly shows great offensive instincts, great vision, and great hockey smarts both defending and in the offensive zone. Throw him on the wing of the 3rd line if you'd like, but he deserves that spot on opening night over any of Versteeg, Yak or Pulju.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Honestly feels like meh. I'm not trying to crap on him, he's just not doing that much. He hasn't been "bad" just underwhelming.

Yeah i'd have to agree. He's the first forward I'd send down of the remaining group tbh. He doesn't bring anything offensively, he skates like he has cinderblocks for skates, he isn't big or strong enough to be physical or consistently win board battles. All he really offers is decent positional play and face-offs. I'd rather have a guy like Pitlick or Slepyshev in the lineup than him. They are both much bigger, stronger, more physical, more offensively skilled, and both are night and day better skaters than Lander. We don't need anymore slow guys who offer basically nothing. The only way Lander gets a spot on this team imo is if Letestu and Hendricks both get injured.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Yeah i'd have to agree. He's the first forward I'd send down of the remaining group tbh. He doesn't bring anything offensively, he skates like he has cinderblocks for skates, he isn't big or strong enough to be physical or consistently win board battles. All he really offers is decent positional play and face-offs. I'd rather have a guy like Pitlick or Slepyshev in the lineup than him. They are both much bigger, stronger, more physical, more offensively skilled, and both are night and day better skaters than Lander. We don't need anymore slow guys who offer basically nothing. The only way Lander gets a spot on this team imo is if Letestu and Hendricks both get injured.

Pretty much. I don't expect bottom-6 guys to "drive the pay" too much, but of his line, Pitlick and Slepyshev drove the play a lot more last night.

herestohoping

Nov 14, 2009
34nk304.jpg

2em0xaq.jpg

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Ugh im not a fan of the beer at the new place lol the hangover is real

Maroon is a beast
Sleppy and Pitlick played well
Talbot looked better

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Overall this game was easily the Oilers best game this preseason. I was very happy with Slepychev, Maroon and Talbot. I'd still give contacts to both Gryba and Versteeg, depth throughout the season is key to making a playoff run. Yes I do think the Oilers can be competitive this year.

Yakupov had good moments and some of the same:bee:'s. But it is definitely a step in the right direction. A few more games and he'll look even better. Some ppl take longer to knock off the rust.

Hendricks getting injured should make the case to sign Versteeg all that much more solid. I'm loving the depth we've started building in young prospects. If those prospects aren't head and shoulders above the vets there's no harm in seasoning in the AHL.

Any word yet if Wisniewski has a team in mind? If Edmonton is on his mind it's best he gets into the last two games of the preseason. :popcorn:

That buzzing bee emoticon is great...just like :] is used for Puljujarvi that should be used for Yakupov. :D

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
I was at the game so I thought id offer my 2 cents on a couple different players and rogers place,

The building is a beauty, the lines to get in move pretty fast and are inside which is a nice change from rexall.
One thing I didn't like is one the concourse for the upper bowl, it gets super crowded during intermissions and such, its definitely not wide enough for people to get around comfortably.

-Simpson played a quiet game didn't make any mistakes, took a few wristers from the point which created chances.
-Yak didn't do anything amazing but he didn't make any glaring mistakes either, missed an open net due to traffic and sticks in front. One chance on net, he needs to do more though.
- I though RNH had a good game, was stripping pucks, making slick passes, got a couple shots off. His defensive game is great right now.
-Also Maroon had a great game, on the forecheck he was good, manages the puck will get a couple points off making smart effective plays. I still think he could end up next McDavid. and maybe pooch with RNH.
- Pouliot had an okay game a lot better then his first couple.
- Pulujarvi didn't have a great game, he had one good chance where he got the one timer off, a really bad giveaway leading to a GA. If it were up to me he would for sure get seasoning in the AHL.
- Klef didn't have a great game, wasn't moving the puck as well as he usually does, seemed rusty.
- Larsson had a good game, he is the perfect partner for Klef, so calm and cool, saw him get involved in some scrums, threw some good hits, and makes nice crisp passes out of the zone.

PinSeeker

Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Thing is he wasnt dangerous. He got the puck and made some moves that looked like he was getting somewhere but he never did. He'd pick up the puck and turn toward the net and bobble it and lose it. He took the puck wide that one time, looked like he was around the defender but ended up getting forced out and crushed into the boards behind the net. He looks slick with the puck but there's just not enough room on the ice for him. He can skate with the puck but he just cant get it anywhere.

So when he broke wide on the LD and turnstiled him, then had a point blank shot on a semi-breakaway... that was not dangerous? Right on the doorstep for a rebound and it bounced, again not dangerous?

He needs to finish, I agree. But he penetrated the zone better than I've seen from him and better than most Oilers last night.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
So when he broke wide on the LD and turnstiled him, then had a point blank shot on a semi-breakaway... that was not dangerous? Right on the doorstep for a rebound and it bounced, again not dangerous?

He needs to finish, I agree. But he penetrated the zone better than I've seen from him and better than most Oilers last night.

When did that happen? The one time he looked to be past the defender he ran out of room and was hammered into the end boards.

He was up against an AHL caliber team and was easily defended against. They kept him to the outside or controlled so he never ended up achieving much. Look at the goals we did score. Letestu fighting through the checking to get to the front of the net and get a stick on the puck or Maroon heading towards the net to deflect a shot in. He's not willing to fight through to get those type of goals and not smart enough to get open like Maroon.

If this was just a one off I'd say he just was a victim of bad bounces but this is the same Yak we've seen for years. It wasnt just an unlucky night this is how he is, he doesnt produce in spite of looking dangerous and that's a big problem. It's bigger than any defensive short comings, you can put up with those if he's getting 60 points in a season but if he's not what does he bring.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
When did that happen? The one time he looked to be past the defender he ran out of room and was hammered into the end boards.

In 1st period I believe. It was a pretty amazing. We need way more of that

Yak had a strong game yesterday and I am not sure why people are afraid to admit it. He was buzzing on forecheck and made a number of good cycle decisions. He was very effective down low which is really odd for him

He really needed that game

PinSeeker

Aug 22, 2005
YLW

I am not arguing that Yakupov was Ovechkin last night, but he was dangerous to a point. To the bolded question, it happened in the first period. He received the puck and went wide right around the defenseman and had a point blank chance on a semi-breakaway. The one you are probably thinking of was on the left side, I remember that one as well.

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
In 1st period I believe. It was a pretty amazing. We need way more of that

Yak had a strong game yesterday and I am not sure why people are afraid to admit it. He was buzzing on forecheck and made a number of good cycle decisions. He was very effective down low which is really odd for him

He really needed that game

He had a pretty good game, just with all the heat and criticism he faces daily he needs a game where he pops in a couple goals, so everyone can get off his back and let him play.
I agree he had a good game, one thing I think he needs to do better is holding on to the puck effectively for longer when he's cycling he darts around a little to much, a little calmer game under pressure would be great.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
He had a pretty good game, just with all the heat and criticism he faces daily he needs a game where he pops in a couple goals, so everyone can get off his back and let him play.
I agree he had a good game, one thing I think he needs to do better is holding on to the puck effectively for longer when he's cycling he darts around a little to much, a little calmer game under pressure would be great.

Thatd be great and big help for us. Before this season I argued Yak developing into a buzz saw energy forward who is relentless on forcheck and causes choas for D would be best for club and I think last night he took steps to being that player. He cant understand the NHL enough to be a skill top 6, he causes too much choas with his own linemates. So id like to see him do that for opposing D. Become like a Torres forwards

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
I like Caggulia as much as the next fan but everyone around here and MSM need to chill the hell out on him. He hasn't done ****. This is the preseason and he's done well early against non NHL roster teams with vets/stars trying to find their legs.

Lets not pencil him into the lineup until he can be effective in his role near the end of training camp. Absolutely ridiculous to give him a roster spot right now.

having said that I would go with

FWD
Lucic- McDavid- Eberle (not a fan of Ebs with 97)
Pou- RNH - Drai
Maroon - Versteeg - Yakupov
Pitlick - Letestu - Kassian

D
Klef-Lars
Sek-Fayne
Davidson- Nurse

Extras
Gryba
Caggulia/Pak/Lander
Hendricks (hurt)

Talbot
Monster

Pulj sent to AHL
Reinhard back to AHL where he belongs

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
Thatd be great and big help for us. Before this season I argued Yak developing into a buzz saw energy forward who is relentless on forcheck and causes choas for D would be best for club and I think last night he took steps to being that player. He cant understand the NHL enough to be a skill top 6, he causes too much choas with his own linemates. So id like to see him do that for opposing D. Become like a Torres forwards

yeah he needs to change his mentality to just forechecking hard and just shoot whenever he gets a chance, defensively he was fine yesterday.
Also needs to work on being a better outlet positionally for a break out pass when transitioning the puck up ice.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I like Caggulia as much as the next fan but everyone around here and MSM need to chill the hell out on him. He hasn't done ****. This is the preseason and he's done well early against non NHL roster teams with vets/stars trying to find their legs.

Lets not pencil him into the lineup until he can be effective in his role near the end of training camp. Absolutely ridiculous to give him a roster spot right now.

having said that I would go with

FWD
Lucic- McDavid- Eberle (not a fan of Ebs with 97)
Pou- RNH - Drai
Maroon - Versteeg - Yakupov
Pitlick - Letestu - Kassian

D
Klef-Lars
Sek-Fayne
Davidson- Nurse

Extras
Gryba
Caggulia/Pak/Lander
Hendricks (hurt)

Talbot
Monster

Pulj sent to AHL
Reinhard back to AHL where he belongs

A little harsh for Reinhart, and Lander isn't making this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad