GDT: Preseason: Ottawa@Montreal September 27th at 19H

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
For Ottawa it wasn’t a case of the veterans who played last night but those who didn’t.
Doesn't make the vets in the game any less NHLers. Sens had their bottom 6 (- Pinto, + Josh Bailey/Kubalik) and their 4-6 dmen suited for the game. Sens had a single prospect with no pro experience in their line-up: Toure. They had the oldest line-up with the most NA pro-experience overall. The Sens goalscorers were multiple season full time NHLers.

People keep saying it was the Sens AHL team, but the Habs bottom 6 and 3rd dpair had less experience than their bottom 6 and 3rd dpair.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Rewatched the game this morning, made it a point to look at Trudeau's shifts and Slafs.

Can't help but think of those first moments with KK, watching someone's nervousness, poise, combination of his brain tracking the play and trying to accomodate his teammates. The reactions after a play. Slaf is at a crucial point in his development where he notices he can have an influence on a game but somehow his maturation schedule is not the same throughout his body. It'll be a frustrating season for him, he's close, you can tell he's 2-3 years from putting all the pieces together if he's not brain-f$#ked into losing his confidence.

I wish they had let him do this part of the learning process in europe, man the NHL and this environment just feels so wrong ...
In retrospect, I agree Slafkovsky was rushed into the NHL. I think the optimal move last year would've been to send him to Laval, where he could've acclimatized to North American rinks and culture. We'd be seeing a more confident player today if he'd been given the chance to dominate in the AHL, rather than throwing him onto the ice against the best players in the world.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
when Dach was in chicago did he have this kind of jam to his game that we've seen in Montreal? I also hate how they targeted him last night. I suspect Arber pays kastelic a visit this season

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Doesn't make the vets in the game any less NHLers. Sens had their bottom 6 (- Pinto, + Josh Bailey/Kubalik) and their 4-6 dmen suited for the game. Sens had a single prospect with no pro experience in their line-up: Toure. They had the oldest line-up with the most NA pro-experience overall. The Sens goalscorers were multiple season full time NHLers.

People keep saying it was the Sens AHL team, but the Habs bottom 6 and 3rd dpair had less experience than their bottom 6 and 3rd dpair.
More accurate to say last night featured Ottawa's low-tier NHL lineup, versus the better one they'll ice with Stutzle, Tkachuk, Giroux, Norris, Sanderson, Tarasenko, etc.

FWIW, Montreal's lineup wasn't exactly at their best, either. Lots of rust.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
I've always hated this take.

It's good for a call-up defensemen who is playing 8 minutes to conver an injury.

Anyone in the top-6, I should hear their name. Winning battles, moving the puck up the ice effectively, blocking shots.

And realistically most defensemen aren't going to have 4-5 boneheaded plays that cost the team per game.

When you don't hear a defenseman's name, I hate it.
Well I’m happy to have distracted you, lol.

trust me a 20yo, AHL bound D playing in a preseason game with the big boys? yeah not hearing your name is a good thing. I like this kid & IMHO he has a chance to play a big role this year in Laval….his composure hi lites his game.

remember Breeze-bye his name was mentioned 4-5 times PER PERIOD for bonehead plays.

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
Why ? Because with their two top lines they managed to beat an AHL team ? Great success !

Maybe once he finishes better than 28th overall

True to both of y'all, but if you listen to his pressers, I think any coach at any level can apply his philosophy in terms of communication with players. A lot of what he says is common sense really, but so many coaches are stuck in an old school mentality.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
when Dach was in chicago did he have this kind of jam to his game that we've seen in Montreal? I also hate how they targeted him last night. I suspect Arber pays kastelic a visit this season
Yeah his case should have been settled the minute he shoved our Captain dangerously from behind in what was obviously boarding...
Crickets.

It wasn't long before Ghule and Dach were also targeted and only Gignac had any type of retaliation. That shit can't be happening again this year. Florida took liberties with us every game we played them last year and other teams may be looking to do the same. Arber Xhekaj is not enough of a deterrent on his own.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Yeah his case should have been settled the minute he shoved our Captain dangerously from behind in what was obviously boarding...
Crickets.

It wasn't long before Ghule and Dach were also targeted and only Gignac had any type of retaliation. That shit can't be happening again this year. Florida took liberties with us every game we played them last year and other teams may be looking to do the same. Arber Xhekaj is not enough of a deterrent on his own.
and yet some posters want to waive pezzetta. aint happening

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Remind me again what the haste was in re-signing Pezzetta? Seen more from Davidson,Farrel,Ylonen,Heinemen,Gignac,Mesar,Beck.Very limited exposure but still. RHP and Roy need to be more involved,at least visible.
That Trudeau on D kid looked very good,nice surprise.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Crickets.

Players should protect and stand up for themselves (Dach and Slaf learned to do it, others can too), using deterrent just cause baiting and retaliations on the long run.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Players should protect and stand up for themselves (Dach and Slaf learned to do it, others can too), using deterrent just cause baiting and retaliations on the long run.
I totally agree , Suzuki does this a lot (skate away from beef) but then again its pre season why would he engage in this buffoonerie when nothings on the line

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
True to both of y'all, but if you listen to his pressers, I think any coach at any level can apply his philosophy in terms of communication with players. A lot of what he says is common sense really, but so many coaches are stuck in an old school mentality.
Communication is great it makes you win the run for president, but it s not going to make you a good president.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
They should but many don't and never will,just not in them. Much like throwing body checks and hitting,not part of their DNA.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I think he matured physically and grew confidence through last season. I think it was really obvious when he flattened Gudas last year and stared him down.
Kiddo Dach became a man that day, realizing he could do it too.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
In retrospect, I agree Slafkovsky was rushed into the NHL. I think the optimal move last year would've been to send him to Laval, where he could've acclimatized to North American rinks and culture. We'd be seeing a more confident player today if he'd been given the chance to dominate in the AHL, rather than throwing him onto the ice against the best players in the world.
Seems in this board that to wish Slaf would go to Laval makes people haters....

Reactions: Beer and Chips

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
Communication is great it makes you win the run for president, but it s not going to make you a good president.
Well if you can explain things in a clear and simple way that makes it easy for your delegates to understand what you're trying to accomplish and how to go about it, and everybody is on the same page and motivated, it sure helps a lot.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think that we should obsess about blocking a young player. If he has put his hip and groin problems behind him, he still has a lot of shelf life left at 28. It really depends which young player and that player's ceiling, but if he stays healthy, I can see Monahan being useful till his mid-thirties, albeit playing up and down the lineup if he loses a step.

I tend to agree. If he can show that he can be healthy, he could have 3-5 more good seasons. He's underrated IMO... due to his injury challenges. Prior to those injuries, he was a very solid center in the NHL. He's still on the young vet side of things and I'm a fan of Monahan. Hope he does put the injuries in the past and if he likes it in Montreal, we should consider retaining him.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Well I’m happy to have distracted you, lol.

trust me a 20yo, AHL bound D playing in a preseason game with the big boys? yeah not hearing your name is a good thing. I like this kid & IMHO he has a chance to play a big role this year in Laval….his composure hi lites his game.

remember Breeze-bye his name was mentioned 4-5 times PER PERIOD for bonehead plays.
Brisebois was mentioned both ways in his early years, much like Markov. Lots of offense, no defense. Brisebois certainly never reached Markov's level, but, like Racicot, he was more a fan victim than a really terrible player. His first couple of seasons were pretty weak, and he wasn't physical for his size, but he was generally good later in his career.

There are high event D and low event D. Mailloux's name comes up a lot, sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. Kovacevic's name doesn't come up much and it's not a bad thing for his game.

Houle appears to be applying the traditional habs approach that first D-men play D, then, once he trusts their D, they can start going forward. Seems to work so far. Norlinder looks better, Trudeau is doing fine, most of last year's call ups did well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad