GDT: Preseason Game 5. Kraken @ Oilers beer leaguer. Streaming on Oilers+ at 7 pm

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
My ideal lineup right now is….

RNH - McDavid - Hyman
Skinner - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
Podkolzin - Henrique - Lavoie
Janmark - Philp - Brown
Ryan OR Perry

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Emberson
Kulak - Gleason
Stetcher

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Lavoie will make the team in my opinion. Philp will be sent down due to waiver exemption.
I think you’re right. Philp will eventually take Ryan’s spot. Whenever Ryan falls off a cliff from age or retires. Ryan had a great assist tonight and has been a huge part of the PK.

Like you said if Philp is waiver exempt I’d send him down for a bit. Lavoie looks so ready, I don’t think he makes it through waivers again.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Philp, Pod, Lavoie should all make the team (I would guess Pod is making the team with a strong pre-season, price paid, waivers etc). Could make an argument to sign Hoffman but not sure if they do.

Echoing what others have said, if Philp is waiver exempt, take advantage of that and have him playing top minutes in Bakersfield, sign Hoffman for an extra forward. IMO

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Keeping Perry and losing Lavoie on waivers would be complete incompetence by management, Hoffman is making a case for himself as well to make the team
They can't justify that in any way. I understand that Perry is a vet that needs to be shown some respect but in the end they need to do what is right by the team. Lavoie won't clear and he is far more likely to be a part of the team's future than Perry.

Reactions: PuckG

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Finally a game with some proper evaluation of the bubble guys.

Nice to see Philp, Podz, and Lavoie continue to look good. I thought Derek Ryan played really well, setting up 2 goals. Killed penalties with Nuge. I think he'll be on the team as 4th line C or RW. You can tell the coaches trust him big time. I guess we'll see how the next few games play out.

O'Reilly looks like a pro already, London is the perfect place for him to go back next week. But, man, he's a smart player for 18.

I thought Stecher and Dermott were solid. Gleason and Kemp were mostly good too. I assume they'll play the other guys next game and go from there.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Skinner-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Janmark-Henrique-Brown
Podkolzin-Ryan-Lavoie
Perry, Hoffman

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Emberson
Kulak-Brown
Stetcher/Kemp

Could we make this roster happen cap wise?

Waiting in the wings in Bako: Philp and Savoie

Philp deserves to make the team but I don't see us waiving Perry nor should Philp be sitting after missing a full year of hockey.
The only other way to keep Philp is to go with Dermott and/or Gleason instead of Kulak but that is a real downgrade.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
He is making plays on offense something Perry can no longer do I am sure you're basing your whole evaluation on a whiffed shot on PP
They saw that bad pass in the first period and based their whole opinion of Hoffman on it.

Where does Hoffman fit in the line up though.

He had a good game last game though

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Yeah, Hoffman looked pretty good, but I don't think it's worth shoehorning him into the lineup or using cap space to keep him around.

He'll probably get a contract somewhere, but I don't see it being here.

Unless anything crazy happens in the next week or so, you're looking at:
93 97 18
53 29 33
13 19 28
92 10 62

Philp's played great, but the best thing for him is to go to the AHL and play a ton of minutes, special teams, etc. Maybe Ryan falters a bit and Philp comes up, but I don't think Ryan has played his way off the roster at this point.

I get what people are saying about Perry being slow and stuff, but you can't have Lavoie, Podz, Philp not playing games and it isn't worth adding Hoffman just for another body.

Reactions: MessierII

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I don’t see Lavoie making the team. He doesn’t penalty kill and won’t be on the PP. He won’t displace Janmark or Brown with Henrique as I believe that line is set in stone.

That leaves the 4th line where he might get 6-7 minutes a night where he will just rot and is Classic Oilers, putting a rookie scorer on the 4th line and barely play them killing any confidence they have. I sense the new management won’t mismanage assets the way our past 2 regimes have.

Better to send him to the AHL and use him as an early call up in case of injury to the top 9 wingers. I doubt he gets claimed in waivers as every team has 1 or 2 Lavoie’s that they also will be waiving.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I don’t see Lavoie making the team. He doesn’t penalty kill and won’t be on the PP. He won’t displace Janmark or Brown with Henrique as I believe that line is set in stone.

That leaves the 4th line where he might get 6-7 minutes a night where he will just rot and is Classic Oilers, putting a rookie scorer on the 4th line and barely play them killing any confidence they have. I sense the new management won’t mismanage assets the way our past 2 regimes have.

Better to send him to the AHL and use him as an early call up in case of injury to the top 9 wingers. I doubt he gets claimed in waivers as every team has 1 or 2 Lavoie’s that they also will be waiving.
With Lavoie’s skill set and the way he’s performed in pre season it would be very risky to send him down.

I’m betting they’re going to break camp with him on the big club and I hope they make a spot for him in the top 9 either by sliding one of Arvi or RNH down to the 3rd line with Henrique or just putting Lavoie on the 3rd line with Henrique.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

I guess the question is, can he learn it effectively.

Not to discredit our players from last season, as they all did incredibly well. But I think a huge part of it is the system. I'm curious if other guys can learn it. I'd also consider putting Lavoie on PP2. He has the shot for it.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Just watched the highlights and I thought this before the game and the Philp goal but he has to make the team, right? I know that he's been out of hockey for a while and it's just preseason but the guy is performing well every game so at some point merit has to mean something.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Philp played less than 7 minutes last night. That’s very surprising

Finally a game with some proper evaluation of the bubble guys.

Nice to see Philp, Podz, and Lavoie continue to look good. I thought Derek Ryan played really well, setting up 2 goals. Killed penalties with Nuge. I think he'll be on the team as 4th line C or RW. You can tell the coaches trust him big time. I guess we'll see how the next few games play out.

O'Reilly looks like a pro already, London is the perfect place for him to go back next week. But, man, he's a smart player for 18.

I thought Stecher and Dermott were solid. Gleason and Kemp were mostly good too. I assume they'll play the other guys next game and go from there.
I’m biased but I didn’t like Dermott at all last night. I did like Stetcher in the offensive zone. In the D zone, he was very jumpy

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
If Philip and Lavoie are good enough to make the team, it is MUCH better to keep them up. As long as they play as good as the guys that would otherwise be in their spot, it is huge going forward. It would give us a year to have them get comfortable and know what we have next year any beyond. We keep them down this year and we will wonder how well they will do next year as rookies. We are an old enough team that a few rookies sprinkled in the bottom 6 is good.

Reactions: PuckG

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I guess the question is, can he learn it effectively.

Not to discredit our players from last season, as they all did incredibly well. But I think a huge part of it is the system. I'm curious if other guys can learn it. I'd also consider putting Lavoie on PP2. He has the shot for it.

Certainly the system is the foundation however you have players experienced in the PK role or ahead of him in learning it (Podkolzin for example). See if he can learn in Bakersfield as it will be a skill he must have if he wants to break into the team this year.

As for the PP2 you’ve probably got Skinner as the trigger man on PP2. At this point in the Oilers evolution and window I feel Lavoie is blocked.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
With Lavoie’s skill set and the way he’s performed in pre season it would be very risky to send him down.

I’m betting they’re going to break camp with him on the big club and I hope they make a spot for him in the top 9 either by sliding one of Arvi or RNH down to the 3rd line with Henrique or just putting Lavoie on the 3rd line with Henrique.

Every team has a Lavoie or two. Home town fans always overestimate their own prospects, I’d be very surprised if Lavoie got claimed.

I’d be very surprised if they break up Janmark Henrique and Brown given the trouble they went to sign all 3 in the off season with the prospect of them staying together to start the season at least as our 3rd line intact.

There are still 3 preseason games left for him to displace someone, and if he has 2 monster games in those perhaps it’s possible but I don’t see it.

If he continues to play well as the competition increases in the preseason I see him rather as a call up in case of injury or Top 9 issues.

I also think the Oilers will be going with 12 F meaning there is even less chance he is on the opening night roster.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
was at the game...Philp was very good last night, he's an NHLer IMO....won draws, made good decisions with the puck, good PKer, exactly what a 4th liner should be
unfortunately for him, Derek Ryan was also very good setting up a couple goals...gonna be a battle for the 4th line spot

Lavoie scored a goal-scorers goal, he's got a chance I just don't know where you would put him to succeed

Stetcher was Dermott also played quite well

O'Reilly still getting big minutes...organization LOVES this guy, but I doubt he makes the team this year, maybe next year

Pods scored a goal by going to the net and being in the right position, also was physical....like his game

Ekholm was elite as usual...best player on the ice tonight

Rodrigue struggled but in fairness, wasn't expecting to start

hope Pickard is ok

also, Savoie had a GREAT look in the 3rd and he has a ton of skill but not quite NHL ready yet...if he comes up, he must play in the top 6 with his skill

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

The thing is Lavoie is 24 and has already played over 200 AHL games. I don't think he necessarily needs to play more big minutes at the AHL level to progress. He needs to practice and play against NHLers and get used to NHL speed. Even if he's not in the starting 12 forwards I think you keep him up and rotate him in, especially considering his 775K cap hit.

I think your argument makes sense for a guy like Philp way more than Lavoie.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad