GDT: Preseason game 3: Sharks @ Ducks 7:00pm

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
This targeted at me? This is what I said:
  • +/- Carlsson looks very good. Turnstiled Dickinson at least twice. Dick looks very young, but not in a worrisome way... he just needs lots of time.
Just quote me if you need to, but also I think it's a bit of an overreaction at least to my comment.

I'm not at all surprised and I'm not at all worried. Carlsson was my second favorite player last draft, he's already a great player and he's going to be a star. Dickinson will be fine, he's learning out there and you can just tell he's a kid still, maybe a little awed by the moment. With time and confidence he's still in a great place.
I don't have insane expectations of teenagers. I don't consider guys busts just because playing against legitimate NHL players makes them look ordinary by comparison. But good God, make at least one play in a game where you stand out a little. Make a great pass. Get off a great shot that makes the goalie work. Check somebody. Beat someone in a race for the puck Do something.

A 9 game tryout would be a waste of time for either Musty or Haltunnen. They are not even close to being NHL level players.

Thrun looked pretty decent IMO. He has one really nice pass in the game that stood out.

Reactions: Mattb124

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
This team really needs offense. Gushchin should make the team and be given a good chance in the top 6

I think what I liked about Goose this game is his effort was really off the charts, he was fighting in corners, fighting in the defensive zone, leading transition with his speed (he seemed a lot faster this game than last year). If he can keep playing that, I think he can really be a player, but he has to keep playing like that.

I feel like Granlund would be a really good mentor for him.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
this is an annual thing for Gushchin, He really good in the preseason and he does it every preseason, but when the season comes around the goose is a magician. Disappear or coasting from coast to coast. I rather have that space for someone else. like a Musty.
I don't think we should overreact to preseason games BUT - how do you watch Goose/Musty and draw that conclusion?

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Gauthier had 16 shot attempts, 11 on goal. One track mind.
I would do something like

Eklund-Celebrini-Toffoli
Granlund-Smith-Zetterlund
Guschin-Wennberg-Kostin
Grundstrom-Sturm-Dellandrea

Issue is this is without Kunin and Goodrow and we all know Kunin is going to be on the opening roster along with Goodrow
I think these lines are close to my guess at what happens, except based on today I would guess like you said Kunin and Goody are in, and Gush and Kostin is 13/14th and getting time with injuries. It's been said a million times but we really do have like 11 bottom 6 forwards and 14 2nd-4th liners. But it's a big step up from last year!!!

I'm good with winning squeakers like last night and losing 2 games 4-3 or 4-2 and then squeezing a win again, en route to 25ish wins and 60-65 points, Schaefer/Hensler/Martone/McQueen, and a better 25-26. I bet Anaheim didn't feel like last night was an easy game.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
The goal to me is kinda whatever, as I think there are lots of guys who can stand in front of a net and put home a good pass. Guschchin made the difficult play on that goal. However, Kostin did a good job setting up the game winning goal in OT even if it was only 3 on 3 and acquitted himself better overall than in his last game.

Third period overall was far better than the second.
Scoring a goal is kinda “whatever?”
Honestly, if it were as easy as you say it is, we’d be watching 20-18 goal games.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Eklund-Celebrini-Toffoli
Guschin-Wennberg-Kostin

Issue is this is without Kunin and Goodrow and we all know Kunin is going to be on the opening roster along with Goodrow
Where's Givani? I can't think the Sharks won't include him.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA

Eklund-Celebrini-Toffoli
Guschin-Wennberg-Kostin

I'd rather try Cardwell over Kostin... there are too many bottom sixers, we should trade one or two :(

vortexy

Jun 13, 2024
I'd rather try Cardwell over Kostin... there are too many bottom sixers, we should trade one or two :(
I would love to have Cardwell in the lineup and honestly feel he has earned his spot, unfortunately I feel we have too many players that fill a similar role currently. I believe he will definitely get NHL time when injuries happen or after the trade deadline

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
I had high hopes for Musty but he’s not ready. I still have high hopes for him but it would be best for him to go back down, hopefully get traded to London, and keep learning.

Gushchin should absolutely make the team. Cagnoni is going to be really good in the AHL and I really hope Warsofsky can get Kostin to play at his highest level consistently because the dude can be a top 6 forward if he… like, tried. I just keep wanting to yell SKATE at him because when he does, things really happen.
Musty will probably get traded by Christmas but probably not to London. They don't have enough assets. Highest bidder wins. Not likely London.

We'll see what type of attitude he returns with to the wolves. He's been guaranteed a letter however it's not a C.

He needs to work on his defensive game, being a 200 for player, less selfish play, and think team first.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Regarding Dickinson, some scouts have been saying that his future could be as a more defensive defenseman with some offensive pop...a Justin Braun who can get 30-40 points. I can see how his skating, positioning, and stickwork could make him that. Even though he's a great skater, I didn't see the pop and creativity you'd expect of a rushing offensive defenseman.

I don't think Kostin's issue is his effort; he needs to modify his game. In this one, he was making some nice plays holding on to the puck, heading to the middle, and waiting defenses out...I just don't think he has the possession skills to pull it off consistently. He needs to be a complementary player; someone who makes quick plays, moves the puck immediately, and heads to tough areas. Celebrini, Eklund, Granlund, and maybe Smith have the talent to be playmakers...not Kostin.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Regarding Dickinson, some scouts have been saying that his future could be as a more defensive defenseman with some offensive pop...a Justin Braun who can get 30-40 points. I can see how his skating, positioning, and stickwork could make him that. Even though he's a great skater, I didn't see the pop and creativity you'd expect of a rushing offensive defenseman.

I don't think Kostin's issue is his effort; he needs to modify his game. In this one, he was making some nice plays holding on to the puck, heading to the middle, and waiting defenses out...I just don't think he has the possession skills to pull it off consistently. He needs to be a complementary player; someone who makes quick plays, moves the puck immediately, and heads to tough areas. Celebrini, Eklund, Granlund, and maybe Smith have the talent to be playmakers...not Kostin.
Fair assessment of Kostin. I think he can adapt his game more. I truly believe he can be a better player. He’s certainly more than, “he sucks.”

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Didn’t Gushchin score a preseason hat trick in Vegas like 2 years ago? We already know he can score at this approximately AHL+ level. The problem is that he can’t produce enough to offset his other deficiencies at the NHL level. He has cemented himself as our most NHL-ready forward prospect though and should be the first guy up in case of an injury.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Didn’t Gushchin score a preseason hat trick in Vegas like 2 years ago? We already know he can score at this approximately AHL+ level. The problem is that he can’t produce enough to offset his other deficiencies at the NHL level. He has cemented himself as our most NHL-ready forward prospect though and should be the first guy up in case of an injury.
It's true, and we'll see how management sees it. But his game was a lot more complete, and he was playing against at least 6 Ducks full-timers (and I think more like top 3 lines), so that was encouraging.

In contrast, Kostin had two very important points but didn't acquit himself nearly as well as a complete game player. He'll likely be given the benefit of the doubt due to size, ceiling, and contract and still make the squad, but it's definitely not just about the points.

Reactions: Jargon and vortexy

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Feel free to list the deficient plays he made in last night's game

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Feel free to list the deficient plays he made in last night's game
I just said we already know he excels at this level. The deficiencies are more glaring at the regular season NHL level when it’s also harder for him to score without guaranteed top unit PP time.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I don't have insane expectations of teenagers. I don't consider guys busts just because playing against legitimate NHL players makes them look ordinary by comparison. But good God, make at least one play in a game where you stand out a little. Make a great pass. Get off a great shot that makes the goalie work. Check somebody. Beat someone in a race for the puck Do something.

A 9 game tryout would be a waste of time for either Musty or Haltunnen. They are not even close to being NHL level players.

Thrun looked pretty decent IMO. He has one really nice pass in the game that stood out.
You're literally proving my point. If you haven't seen Dickinson do "something", then you aren't watching.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I just said we already know he excels at this level. The deficiencies are more glaring at the regular season NHL level when it’s also harder for him to score without guaranteed top unit PP time.

I think he seemed a lot more noticeable and played a more complete game than he had seasons past. He even seemed fairly physical (as much as he could be) and yeah, that Ducks team actually had a lot of their top guys on it.

I think he’s, at least so far, earned a look in the top 9 to see what he can do in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad