GDT: Preseason game 3: Sharks @ Ducks 7:00pm

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
Lastly, our D really need to stop throwing grenades when they get the puck. That said, I feel like there's often a lack of centerman or winger support when we force a turnover in the DZ. Puck turned over in the corner -- there should be three options, strong side up the wall to the winger, reverse behind the net or opposite corner to your D partner, or a touch pass to the bottom of the circle/dot to your centerman. We often don't have the third option and the D often panics and chips up the wall to a mess, or just lobs it out to try to get a change / ices the puck. Same shit as last year, really hope we can adjust when the real games start.
Yeah we really need a superlative 2 way 1C that supports the D and always is in the right spot to receive passes, know where we can get a guy like that?

• Love
Reactions: coooldude

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Despite the point, Halttunen didn't look good. No other dimensions to his game, and he tried to pull off things that just didn't work.

Musty was disappointing as well; he has a lot to work on.

I saw other dimensions. He's willing to use his body, gets in the shooting lane and uses his stick (could be better here). A couple plays where he showed good heads-up sealing the boards to keep the puck in the o-zone.

I think he can get a little faster with the puck. Maybe some of his moves will work then but he has to work on it.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Missed the game

Awesome to see Cagnoni win it

Even better to see the the black captain's patches back on the road jerseys after that debacle in the rookie faceoff, that occupied an embarrassing amount of my mental capacity

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Based on play, Gushchin and Cardwell deserve to be on the Sharks roster on opening night. Gushchin might have a legit chance (I had one top-9 spot pencilled in for whoever of Gush/Bordeleau/Musty were able to take it and it's obviously Gush so far), but unfortunately there's no room for Cardwell given we have five hundred fourth liners signed to one-way contracts. Gushchin in particular is showing shades of Eklund with how he's relentless on the puck and never gives up second opportunities despite being small. He's smart and shifty and proactive, and he's got pro-habits that will keep him in the lineup.

I also deeply beg of people to stop having insane expectations of teenagers. Musty was pretty bad today, that's fair, but Halttunen and Dickinson were very solid for teenagers against a legitimately good Ducks lineup. I mean, the Ducks literally played their entire top-6 scoring forwards that are going to be on their opening night roster. You can say that Dickinson got turned around by Carlsson a couple of times, but of course that's going to happen. Leo Carlsson has played most of an NHL season and scored at like a 50 point pace. Sam Dickinson just turned 18 three months ago and is playing his second ever game ever against pros. He looked much better today than he did on Sunday, and should be given credit for that. I also thought Halttunen managed to make a decent impact off the puck with his forechecking and physicality. Both of those guys are obviously not ready for pro hockey but they looked solid given where they are in their development.

Now, on to the NHL guys:

-It was nice to see Matt Benning back on the ice. Obviously he's no world-beater but he's a legit NHLer and we did miss him last season.
-When Kostin gives a f***, he's really good. Unfortunately he's in DGAF mode 80% of the time.
-I liked Henry Thrun, he definitely looks bigger and stronger than last season. I think he got worn down from the long season and heavy/tough minutes, so I'm excited to see what he can do fresh.
-I often found myself wondering if Ty Dellandrea even wants to play in the NHL. I mean seriously, good grief!
-Not an NHL guy but I hope Collin White is willing to sign with the Cuda. He looks good out there.

I think the roster is going to shake out something like:

Kostin-Celebrini-Toffoli
Eklund-Granlund-Gushchin
Wennberg-Smith-Zetterlund
Goodrow-Sturm-Kunin

Walman-Rutta
Thrun-Benning
Ferraro-Ceci

Blackwood
Vanecek

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Based on play, Gushchin and Cardwell deserve to be on the Sharks roster on opening night. Gushchin might have a legit chance (I had one top-9 spot pencilled in for whoever of Gush/Bordeleau/Musty were able to take it and it's obviously Gush so far), but unfortunately there's no room for Cardwell given we have five hundred fourth liners signed to one-way contracts. Gushchin in particular is showing shades of Eklund with how he's relentless on the puck and never gives up second opportunities despite being small. He's smart and shifty and proactive, and he's got pro-habits that will keep him in the lineup.

I also deeply beg of people to stop having insane expectations of teenagers. Musty was pretty bad today, that's fair, but Halttunen and Dickinson were very solid for teenagers against a legitimately good Ducks lineup. I mean, the Ducks literally played their entire top-6 scoring forwards that are going to be on their opening night roster. You can say that Dickinson got turned around by Carlsson a couple of times, but of course that's going to happen. Leo Carlsson has played most of an NHL season and scored at like a 50 point pace. Sam Dickinson just turned 18 three months ago and is playing his second ever game ever against pros. He looked much better today than he did on Sunday, and should be given credit for that. I also thought Halttunen managed to make a decent impact off the puck with his forechecking and physicality. Both of those guys are obviously not ready for pro hockey but they looked solid given where they are in their development.

Now, on to the NHL guys:

-It was nice to see Matt Benning back on the ice. Obviously he's no world-beater but he's a legit NHLer and we did miss him last season.
-When Kostin gives a f***, he's really good. Unfortunately he's in DGAF mode 80% of the time.
-I liked Henry Thrun, he definitely looks bigger and stronger than last season. I think he got worn down from the long season and heavy/tough minutes, so I'm excited to see what he can do fresh.
-I often found myself wondering if Ty Dellandrea even wants to play in the NHL. I mean seriously, good grief!
-Not an NHL guy but I hope Collin White is willing to sign with the Cuda. He looks good out there.

I think the roster is going to shake out something like:

Kostin-Celebrini-Toffoli
Eklund-Granlund-Gushchin
Wennberg-Smith-Zetterlund
Goodrow-Sturm-Kunin

Walman-Rutta
Thrun-Benning
Ferraro-Ceci

Blackwood
Vanecek
Colin White is on an AHL deal already.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I also deeply beg of people to stop having insane expectations of teenagers. Musty was pretty bad today, that's fair, but Halttunen and Dickinson were very solid for teenagers against a legitimately good Ducks lineup. I mean, the Ducks literally played their entire top-6 scoring forwards that are going to be on their opening night roster. You can say that Dickinson got turned around by Carlsson a couple of times, but of course that's going to happen. Leo Carlsson has played most of an NHL season and scored at like a 50 point game. Sam Dickinson just turned 18 three months ago and is playing his second ever game ever against pros. He looked much better today than he did on Sunday, and should be given credit for that.
This targeted at me? This is what I said:
  • +/- Carlsson looks very good. Turnstiled Dickinson at least twice. Dick looks very young, but not in a worrisome way... he just needs lots of time.
Just quote me if you need to, but also I think it's a bit of an overreaction at least to my comment.

I'm not at all surprised and I'm not at all worried. Carlsson was my second favorite player last draft, he's already a great player and he's going to be a star. Dickinson will be fine, he's learning out there and you can just tell he's a kid still, maybe a little awed by the moment. With time and confidence he's still in a great place.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
this is an annual thing for Gushchin, He really good in the preseason and he does it every preseason, but when the season comes around the goose is a magician. Disappear or coasting from coast to coast. I rather have that space for someone else. like a Musty.
If he starts slowing down in the regular season, then give his spot to someone else. Right now, he's earned it.
  • +/- Carlsson looks very good. Turnstiled Dickinson at least twice. Dick looks very young, but not in a worrisome way... he just needs lots of time.
Just quote me if you need to, but also I think it's a bit of an overreaction at least to my comment.

I'm not at all surprised and I'm not at all worried. Carlsson was my second favorite player last draft, he's already a great player and he's going to be a star. Dickinson will be fine, he's learning out there and you can just tell he's a kid still, maybe a little awed by the moment. With time and confidence he's still in a great place.
The world doesn't revolve around you. :)

In any case, it appears that my take on Halttunen is the outlier. I'm wondering if I got him confused with someone else!

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada

Probably not just you. I also had some negatives to say about Dickinson in an earlier post. He was successful tonight but too high risks not the way I want him to play. He will get better I see hope for him

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
this is an annual thing for Gushchin, He really good in the preseason and he does it every preseason, but when the season comes around the goose is a magician. Disappear or coasting from coast to coast. I rather have that space for someone else. like a Musty.
Not that scoring is everything and I won’t pretend I watch the Barracuda but didn’t Guschin do quite well last year in the AHL? When does he disappear?

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Colin White is on an AHL deal already.
Thought I heard Dan say he was on a try-out... but glad to be wrong! Between Poturalski, Bystedt, and White, the Cuda should have a pretty good center group.

This targeted at me?
Not at all. Sorry if it came off that way, but I didn't even see your post before I hit submit on mine, I promise.
This is what I said:

Right, which is why it wasn't targeted at you.

What I mean is that people are oohing and ahing at Luca Cagnoni because he's very flashy, and not giving Dickinson credit for the subtler things that he does well. Dickinson's entry defense is really good, and kills plays very efficiently. He was matched up against really good Ducks players and played on the PK a lot. Yes, he needs to up his processing speed, but I want to emphasize again that this was his literal second ever game against pros and the coaches did not shelter him one bit.

It feels like any little mistake Dickinson makes gets four people posting "Dickinson bad" but if Cagnoni gets outmuscled or beat literally no one says a thing.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
What I mean is that people are oohing and ahing at Luca Cagnoni because he's very flashy, and not giving Dickinson credit for the subtler things that he does well. Dickinson's entry defense is really good, and kills plays very efficiently. He was matched up against really good Ducks players and played on the PK a lot. Yes, he needs to up his processing speed, but I want to emphasize again that this was his literal second ever game against pros and the coaches did not shelter him one bit.

It feels like any little mistake Dickinson makes gets four people posting "Dickinson bad" but if Cagnoni gets outmuscled or beat literally no one says a thing.
All fair. I thought both of them had at least a few moments where it was well within their skating and skill ability to jump on a loose puck, but they held back for fear of getting beat. Paradoxically it gave the duck a better chance to jump on the puck and beat them. This kind of quick decision happens tons of times a game and with confidence and development they'll calibrate their ability to read it and be the right level of aggressive. Both of them look great for their trajectory, honestly, just good for myself to calibrate against some real players.

Reactions: vortexy

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Lol, you mean those 6 NHL games he's 2+2 in? Yeah, really terrible...

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
All fair. I thought both of them had at least a few moments where it was well within their skating and skill ability to jump on a loose puck, but they held back for fear of getting beat. Paradoxically it gave the duck a better chance to jump on the puck and beat them. This kind of quick decision happens tons of times a game and with confidence and development they'll calibrate their ability to read it and be the right level of aggressive. Both of them look great for their trajectory, honestly, just good for myself to calibrate against some real players.
Totally, and Sam shouldn't be above reproach by any means. But I think it's much easier for a young offensive-leaning defenseman to impress in training camp than an even younger defensive-leaning defenseman, and a lot of folks around here are falling into the trap of only seeing what's here now. So many posts about Dickinson read like he's already a reclamation project.

Defending NHLers is not something you can step into an NHL game and simply Get. On the flip side, you could drop someone like Cagnoni onto an NHL PP completely blind and so long as he's got more skill and/or brains than like, Calen Addison, he's going to look just fine. That is to say that guys who are confident with the puck are always going to look better at first.

What's so intriguing about Dickinson to me is that he has really high-end potential as a play killer, a zone-entry denier, and a physical net-front presence. Yes, it's going to be a process to get there. But it's frustrating seeing people act like he's four years away from the NHL or something.

He's going to come to NHL camp in a year a whole different player. That's how these things go.

I can think of one 😂
Touché!

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Dickinson has been steadily improving every game going back to rookie faceoff while Musty just gets worse and worse.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I had high hopes for Musty but he’s not ready. I still have high hopes for him but it would be best for him to go back down, hopefully get traded to London, and keep learning.

Gushchin should absolutely make the team. Cagnoni is going to be really good in the AHL and I really hope Warsofsky can get Kostin to play at his highest level consistently because the dude can be a top 6 forward if he… like, tried. I just keep wanting to yell SKATE at him because when he does, things really happen.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Missed the game

Awesome to see Cagnoni win it

Even better to see the the black captain's patches back on the road jerseys after that debacle in the rookie faceoff, that occupied an embarrassing amount of my mental capacity
As a side note, I still don't get why the numbers are black instead of teal on the away jerseys.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Kostin!
He’s played stronger this period. Payoff.
The goal to me is kinda whatever, as I think there are lots of guys who can stand in front of a net and put home a good pass. Guschchin made the difficult play on that goal. However, Kostin did a good job setting up the game winning goal in OT even if it was only 3 on 3 and acquitted himself better overall than in his last game.

Third period overall was far better than the second.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad