GDT: Preseason Game 3 - Laval Rocket+ vs Leafs 7PM EST Sportsnet & RDS

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I thought Heineman looked the best on that line followed by Newhook (who still has awareness issues after two pre-season games). Dvorak was putrid in the 1st period, slightly less so in the 2nd and 3rd, but he just doesn't have another gear.

I think Kapanen did a good job considering this was his 2nd game on NHL ice and the Leafs came in with a lots of speed. He was overwhelmed in the first period, but settled down afterward. Give him a few more games to adapt and it won't be an issue.

And now the super controversial take: I think this game shows that Hutson will be neutered by opposing team once they get to have more review tape material. His fakes were already less effective against more vets players.

No they weren't.

I’m seeing NO PROGRESS with Newhook or Barron. Same story, move them on.

This post sucks. Come on.

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
Barron is having a good camp. You might have missed it or simply ignore them (you wouldn't be the only one), but Barron made some real good defensive plays last night and laid some good hits. He might top out as a 3rd paid D, but his camp so far is pretty good.
Agreed. There is improvement. There was a series of plays during the second period where Barron really showed what he could do. In the third period, it became an adventure most times he took a shift. This tells me he's not Patrick Traverse, he just needs to play a lot.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Read the Leafs thread about this game and they say it's nice to have a win. They should be embarrassed actually. They only had Matthews and Knies out against a Laval lineup and barely won. Hutson is also already living rent free in their heads. Some comments on how he does a lot that leads nowhere lol

It leads to nowhere when there's no talent around him to anticipate and develop on plays.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I haven't read people reaction yet (will do that after I'm done writing this) but wanted to share my impressions of the game.

Overall, I think that MSL probably walk out of the rink with lots of info (which I'm sure was the goal). Unfortunately, it probably tell him that there is still room to growth for lots of the player that where in the line up.

My positive impressions
Dobes: well... hard not to notice that he kept the team in the fight all night. I like what I saw, square to the puck and minimal swimming in his crease. He's going to Laval, but that only mean Laval has a much better shot at competing next season. I like it!
Barron: Ok, I have been hard on Barron for quite some time and while his play last night wasn't perfect, it was a noticeable improvement from last year. Much better decision making, took advantage of his skating to open the play. Still a bit weak on the board, but he move the puck much more quickly so there where less of these board battle for him. He bail Hutson a few time too.
Tuch: I like the energy and physicality. he's not there yet for a full time NHL role, some bad read and he need to adjust to the speed I think, but he was fun to watch.
Struble: simple and effective. If he keep this up... he may steal Xhekaj's job.

Mix feeling:
Hutson: ok, he saw lots of ice time, and had the puck more then anyone else, but defensively, this was a much more difficult game for him. he got push off the puck several time, he lost the puck in dangerous area... This is part of the learning curve I guess, but it shows that he need a good vet on right side.
Dvorak: play better then the game before, but I still find that he's not generating anything.
Kapanen: Didn't look bad, didn't look good. I want to see him in another game, but I'm getting the feeling that its back to Sweden for him.
Back: nothing bad, nothing good last night.

Bad:
Newhook: WTF dude... forgot how to play hockey during the summer? I dont know if he's lost playing W, but man he a black hole right now. all plays die on his stick.
Engstrom: rough night for him. lots to like about what he does, but he need some AHL time for certain.
Xhekaj: ok... when a goalie leave the net and get score on, we say, tend the f... net! Well Xhekaj... you're a Dman... PLAY D! His decision making right now is piss poor. Pinch at the wrong time, put the puck in the bad area, etc... He may also benefit from playing with Savard... unfortunately Hutson too...

Sound to me that Engstrom, Reinbacher are both going to Laval. Same with Beck. Kapanen wont stay, will go back to sweden at the end of the camp. Roy will have his chance on the 2nd line with Dach/Laine pretty soon Ì'm sure.

habbubba

Jan 19, 2024
Would have liked that Marty to shuffle the lines as the offenses was so anemic, nothing ventured nothing gained. If it wasn't for Hutson creating some excitement when he was on, it would have been a real snoozer.

habbubba

Jan 19, 2024
I liked his game tonight. I don't think he'll make the team. Though I believe he'll be a strong addition to Laval.
So many have Roy locked in but ABB has looked better and in a competing role? For that matter, no one is mentioning Farrel which has been the more noticeable and overall better than the other two.

wawa is gonna go wawawawaing all the way to laval unless he shows more. Is he part Romulan because it sure looks like he has engaged a cloaking device. People have said he was a ''stealthy '' player, that must be what they meant.

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
I wasn’t thrilled with the Newhook trade when it happened, but I’ve really warmed up to him and what he brings. I do find it comical how much rando hate he attracts as I don’t really get it. He was brought into be a complementary player, and not a franchise changer, but a lot of people dunk on him like he’s making 9 million and not carrying his line. :dunno:

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Would have liked that Marty to shuffle the lines as the offenses was so anemic, nothing ventured nothing gained. If it wasn't for Hutson creating some excitement when he was on, it would have been a real snoozer.
Shuffling forward lines on what was largely an AHL line-up that was playing against a strong NHL team would have been akin to shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic: essentially futile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad