GDT: Preseason Game 3 - Anaheim Ducks @ Los Angeles Kings , 3pm PT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
LA were missing a bunch of their regulars as well. They probably had a better lineup than us but I don't think by much
I disagree personally, their had their entire first line who created all of the goals, as well as like what 4/6 starting D? . They are also a top team and we are a bottom feeder to boot. That being said it wasn't an awe-inspiring performance for us by any means.

Reactions: Kalv

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
It was ugly. The game plan was awful. They sent 4 forwards up to the offensive blue line basically, leaving just the 2 D to work back and forth and try to find a slot to move it up. While the D (which included Zell) kept sort of fumbling it, that gives no control options to the team, as the Kings can just cover those guys that are basically unmoving.

The forwards minus 2 on the blue line boards should have come back with the D and moved with them to give some threat to breaking in with speed. Even a flying V would have been better than that crap.

After today, I think I’ve figured out why the Ducks don’t broadcast preseason games; at least the early ones.

John

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Even for a Kings game that was dreadfully boring.

Reminding myself that it’s September and these games aren’t predictive but I wish I was seeing more signs of an effective offensive system.
Im wondering if Cronin can teach an effective offensive system or if he will be a hinderance to unlocking our young guns full offensive potential. This is a huge year for Cronin IMO as far as helping the kids progress.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Hopefully Clune makes a difference as well. Yes, people refer to him as the “PP coach” but he’s in charge of the forwards, the same way Thompson is in charge of the d-men.

It’s Cronin’s system, but hoping Clune has some input and can fine tune things with the more offensive guys.

Reactions: Kalv
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
3 preseason games in and I still have zero confidence in Cronin's coaching

I wonder if he’s still throwing the team under the bus in his post game interviews?

Im wondering if Cronin can teach an effective offensive system or if he will be a hinderance to unlocking our young guns full offensive potential. This is a huge year for Cronin IMO as far as helping the kids progress.

He can’t, never could. That’s why he’s abysmal at his first coaching gig lol

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I disagree personally, their had their entire first line who created all of the goals, as well as like what 4/6 starting D? . They are also a top team and we are a bottom feeder to boot. That being said it wasn't an awe-inspiring performance for us by any means.
Well, they also will get Doughty back at some point. But yeah... we had 1 NHL regular defenceman in Zelly, and even he has only half a season under his belt.
Which also I think showed in how the teams were supressing opposition and breaking out. We just were not there, albeit I thought Warren and Smith were better then I expected, they're still AHL level right now

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Toronto has been great at developing offensive talent. LA has stressed defense.

But there is a fine line to balance both.

I’m not a Cronin fan. The proof will be in the winning or losing.

John

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Teaching two way or defensive hockey is important, but if you can't develop young offensive talent your organization is going to be stuck
I agree with this and it’s a concern but I’m hoping Cronin can be like a Ken Hitchcock type coach here

Defensive oriented but can still get a lot of star offensive players

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
I wonder if he’s still throwing the team under the bus in his post game interviews?

He can’t, never could. That’s why he’s abysmal at his first coaching gig lol
Never could. Never as in the one season he coached an injury riddled team with absolutely no depth and their best players being kids.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Never could. Never as in the one season he coached an injury riddled team with absolutely no depth and their best players being kids.

I agree that it is only Cronin's first season as an NHL head coach. Although, he has been an NHL assistant coach for several years with the Islanders twice and the Maple Leafs. Cronin has also been an head coach at the college level (Maine U.) and the AHL (NYI - Bridgeport, Col - Eagles).

The disagreement is that Cronin didn't have depth and their best players being kids. Remember, the previous season with Eakins, that roster had no talent depth on offense nor defense. Last year's club had top-6 talent down into their 3rd line with the addition of Killorn and Carlsson. Even if there were injuries, there was actual offensive talent depth to pick up the slack. I compared the top-6 talent roster between Eakins and Cronin to discover that Cronin top-6 talents played more games and scored more points than the Eakins' top-6.

As for the best players being kids (age 23 or younger)...

Ducks2023-24Top-10 Scorers
PlayerForwardYouth GPGAPts
1​
Vatrano
1​
82​
37​
23​
60​
2​
Terry
1​
76​
20​
34​
54​
3​
Mac
1​
✅
64​
19​
23​
42​
4​
Rico
1​
60​
18​
24​
42​
5​
Strome
1​
79​
11​
30​
41​
6​
Fowler
81​
5​
34​
39​
7​
Killorn
1​
63​
18​
18​
36​
8​
Carlsson
1​
✅
55​
12​
17​
29​
9​
Minty✅
63​
4​
24​
28​
10​
Leason
1​
68​
11​
11​
22​

The potential is there for the kids to become the best players but they weren't the best last year. It's the Troy Terry rule: you can look good on the ice, but if you're not producing, then it's all for naught. Fortunately, Cronin does have a lot of high-end potential offensive forward youths in Carlsson, Mac, and Cutter as well as proven high-end scorers in Terry and Z. I believe Mac fits Cronin's dump & chase style... and maybe Cutter, but not sure about Carlsson, Terry, and Z yet.

Can Cronin develop a system around his talent or is he insistent on fitting several round holes with a square peg? That's what we're all waiting to see this season.

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA

Attachments

• hang-first-time.gif
    hang-first-time.gif
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • Haha
Reactions: ZegrassyKnoll

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Oh, don't be disingenuous. You know I am referring to people suggesting these worthless preseason games are indicative of a failed coaching system.

Cronin may very well fail but whatever happens in these games means nothing.

Being disingenuous would be treating this pre-season as an island disconnected from last season. People aren't forming their opinions on Cronin just from this pre-season, they're adding these games to building evidence from last season that Cronin doesn't know what he's doing. I'm still on the fence whether or not I think he's the right coach, he has until Christmas as far as I'm concerned. If the team still takes a pile of penalties, has bottom 3 pk/pp, and has no lines gelling - then get him outta here.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Being disingenuous would be treating this pre-season as an island disconnected from last season. People aren't forming their opinions on Cronin just from this pre-season, they're adding these games to building evidence from last season that Cronin doesn't know what he's doing. I'm still on the fence whether or not I think he's the right coach, he has until Christmas as far as I'm concerned. If the team still takes a pile of penalties, has bottom 3 pk/pp, and has no lines gelling - then get him outta here.
I think his leash is shorter than most people think. This is a make or break season for him, barring the entire team quitting on him. He definitely at least makes it to next summer though.

Last edited:

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Oh, don't be disingenuous. You know I am referring to people suggesting these worthless preseason games are indicative of a failed coaching system.

Cronin may very well fail but whatever happens in these games means nothing.
This is a lot of why preseason games don’t get televised. They always look this way.

That said, Cronin doesn’t have an impressive track record to fall back on.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
I think his leash is shorter than most people think. This is a make or break season for him, barring the entire team quitting on him. He definitely at least makes it to next summer though.
Cronin will be here for a while. imo.

GM's usually don't get that many coaches to go through before they themselves are on the hotseat.

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
Pre-season is an island disconnected from last season lol. More than 70% of the players we're icing on a given night have worked with Cronin for like 2 weeks. A non-insignificant amount will never see professional ice again.

It can take months for bonafide NHL players to adjust to a system. Pointing to the performance of a bunch of prospects and fringe NHLers in three games as evidence of bad systems is crazy, even if it's just "added evidence."

Again, I'm not saying Cronin is some incredible coach. All I'm saying is these games are no indiciation of what kind of coach he is. We could have come out flying and won every game 10-0 and it would still be meaningless. It would just be more fun.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Cronin will be here for a while. imo.

GM's usually don't get that many coaches to go through before they themselves are on the hotseat.
I think Verbeek could sell that Cronin they were able to sign for cheap, that he was good to show the team how to be well conditioned and compete hard. But If needed, they need a true top vet coach to bring it al together

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad