GDT: Preseason Game 2 - Anaheim Ducks vs San Jose Sharks, 7pm PT. (To Stream or not to Stream)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Hope Gauthier gets a look at center at some point during this preseason
I'm curious as to why. He seems like he's designed perfectly to sit on the wing of a pass-first center (like Carlsson) and shoot everything, as he did last night. Perhaps from a defensive perspective he'd do well at center, but I think he fits well on Carlsson's wing.

I'm not opposed to a scenario where the Ducks eventually spread the wealth and go with three scoring lines centered by Carlsson, McTavish, and Gauthier, but that would be a lot of weight to put on the shoulders of young centers in one season. If you're going to do that, maybe in a couple seasons, I would put Zegras on Gauthier's left wing to feed him pucks, and you'd want a RW with some size next to them.

I just don't know that it makes sense this season. It wouldn't hurt for a preseason game, but as hyped as this kid is, he's still only played one NHL game.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Did we though? We kinda gave up on him at center pretty early.

I’m fine with it because I think he can be a dynamic winger (Panarin-lite player) in this league if playing with the right players around him though

You're missing the point of the conversation being "who takes the faceoffs", not who plays center.

Z was groomed to be center for four seasons. It's only this year that Z is being made to be a winger outright.

If Carlsson doesn't improve at the dot, are we going to continue giving the puck away? Before drafting Carlsson in 2023, Zegras was being groomed as our 1C, but had difficulty at the dot. That's when Eakins made Rico take the faceoffs instead of Z.

ZegrasNHLFO Stats
SeasonGamesFOWFOLtotal FOFO%
2020-21
24​
42​
54​
96​
43.8%​
2021-22
75​
217​
327​
544​
39.9%​
2022-23
81​
237​
336​
573​
41.4%​
2023-24
31​
53​
85​
138​
38.4%​

Last year, Carlsson went 34.8% on the dot (195 FOW out of 561 total FO's). First pre-season game last night, Carlsson went 2 for 14 on the dot (12.5% FO%). If Carlsson doesn't improve, then we're gonna have to implement the Rico Rotation again.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I feel Cutter is meant to be on Leo’s line. 12 SOG, Leo dangling, could finally have a legit top line.

I like to see more of Z and Mac as well. Not sure how they looked last night. But when they were together last year before Mac got hurt , it was looking really good .

Happy both Mac and Leo scored, and Z got on the scoresheet. We need to start seeing results on the scoresheet and not just grade A chances not finished .

Reactions: lwvs84

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I don't think Cutter's game is suited for center at this level. Even in college he favored the wings a lot more. I think one of the benefits of playing center was his coaches stressed his working on improving his defense which clearly paid dividends but I see no issue with having a defensively adept winger on the top line if his role is to be a triggerman for Leo or someone else. I think Leo is more naturally suited for the position in the way he plays (outside of the weakness on faceoffs). Of all our young forwards he's the guy who plays the game most like a guy who will be a play driver down the line between his hands, vision, and IQ.

I'm down to try Cutter at center but I'm liking what I'm seeing of the Leo-Cutter duo. Personally I think it's better to foster that potential than experiment interminably.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Hopefully, Verbeek can swallow his pride and implement the Rico Rotation if Carlsson continues to be invisible at the faceoff dot. The Rico Rotation is using a winger who's adept at taking faceoffs or better at taking faceoffs than his center and using that guy to take faceoffs. This was done often with Rico as Zegras was his centerman.

Currently, we have a Cutter-Carlsson-Killorn first line.

CutterFO %
YearLeagueGPFOWFOLFO TotalFO%
2022-23NCAA
32​
209​
229​
438​
47.7%​
2023-24NCAA
41​
365​
375​
740​
49.3%​

CarlssonFO %
YearLeagueGPFOWFOLFO TotalFO%
2023-24NHL
55​
195​
366​
561​
34.8%​

Last year was Carlsson's first full season playing center. The previous two seasons, Carlsson was playing wing (RW) in the SHL - men's hockey top tier for Sweden.

Although Cutter does have a large sample at the dot, it was in the NCAA. The NCAA do have players in their early to mid-20s in the league. Tack on that he has improved between two seasons as well as was taking pointers on taking faceoffs from Getzy earlier this summer, maybe the org would want to experiment with that.
Gauthier was 100% last night, but I don’t think he took more than 1-2.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I feel Cutter is meant to be on Leo’s line. 12 SOG, Leo dangling, could finally have a legit top line.

I like to see more of Z and Mac as well. Not sure how they looked last night. But when they were together last year before Mac got hurt , it was looking really good .

Happy both Mac and Leo scored, and Z got on the scoresheet. We need to start seeing results on the scoresheet and not just grade A chances not finished .
Zegras was the weak link on that line last night. McTavish and Terry play a good cycle game, but Zegras wasn’t as good at playing off their cycle, he’s still playing a bit of a peripheral game like Rakell would at times. He’s also making too cute passes on breakouts that people were not ready for and caused several turnovers/retreats back into the defensive zone. That said, he’s moving fast, has good puck control, and made a great pass for the McTavish tip goal.

That line is a work in progress, but has huge potential.

Zegras, Terry, Carlsson, and Regenda all tied with 3 shots each for 2nd (McTavish with 2).

Carlsson and Killorn will need to be around the net more, Gauthier was shooting a ton but they weren’t super dangerous snipe type shots - people will need to be there for rebounds (just like Vatrano, except Vatrano often gets his own rebounds).

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Zegras was the weak link on that line last night. McTavish and Terry play a good cycle game, but Zegras wasn’t as good at playing off their cycle, he’s still playing a bit of a peripheral game like Rakell would at times. He’s also making too cute passes on breakouts that people were not ready for and caused several turnovers/retreats back into the defensive zone. That said, he’s moving fast, has good puck control, and made a great pass for the McTavish tip goal.

Zegras, Terry, Carlsson, and Regenda all tied with 3 shots each for 2nd (McTavish with 2).

Carlsson and Killorn will need to be around the net more, Gauthier was shooting a ton but they weren’t super dangerous snipe type shots - people will need to be there for rebounds (just like Vatrano, except Vatrano often gets his own rebounds).

I said before we see a lot of chances, but need to start seeing results on the scoresheet. Going to the net more will help that.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

I think the better shot attempts are gonna come from Cutter. Sounds to me like "just get the puck on net" has been Cronin's big message and it looked like Cutter was doing whatever he could to impress/please the coach. I'm not sure it's always going to be about having guys around to get garbage pucks from rebounds he generates but your idea still couldn't hurt. This team hasn't been the best at offensive zone puck retrievals.

As for Zegras I think that's spot on but I also think there's time for Trevor to really get a feel for Troy and Mac's tendencies so that he's not misplacing his passes as much. Not overly concerning and I agree that they should stick together. There was more to like about how they played together than dislike. Particularly with Mac and Zegras seemingly improving their skating and Terry looking like he's making an effort to trust his linemates more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad