GDT: Preseason Game 1: Red Wings at chicago 9/25/24 8:00 pm et

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
There’s less offense with Edvinsson than a lot of people want to believe, but this kid should still be a stud, overall. I love his defensive potential.

That's my feeling too. Ed is a different player than Seider, but fundamentally he is similar in that he's a big, mobile 2-way D better defensively than offensively. His stickwork, attention to detail, ability to get possession started are all more advanced than an ability to put up points. Basically a Bouwmeester type more than a Hedman, just like Seider is more a Weber/Langway than a Robinson.

But, we'll see. So much of what Ed ,might contribute offensively in the future is going to depend on his confidence level and usage. Being ASPs partner down the road might not be as conducive to putting up primary points than if he has a Brad Stuart type of partner.

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
Petry haters where you at?
its hopeless....

I'm passing 1000 games this year
fu-f***-you.gif

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: kook10

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
Ok, upon replay.... eh, it's hockey. An 18 year old kid trying to make a name for himself decides to take a run at the Wings newly-minted franchise star winger. Not a great idea, but it was an idea. Didn't look like a knee attempt to me, but he was certainly trying to obliterate him. Larkin didn't take kindly to that, nor should he, and in turn took a run at the kid (absolutely has to happen in hockey). Unfortunately, there was minor contact at the blueline and the kid went down to his knees right before Larkin reached him, so it looked like an elbow to the face. Whether it actually was an elbow to the face or not does not matter in the slightest.

In short, when you're a nobody and you take a run at a star player, you're going to reach the 'find out' phase.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Ok, upon replay.... eh, it's hockey. An 18 year old kid trying to make a name for himself decides to take a run at the Wings newly-minted franchise star winger. Not a great idea, but it was an idea. Didn't look like a knee attempt to me, but he was certainly trying to obliterate him. Larkin didn't take kindly to that, nor should he, and in turn took a run at the kid (absolutely has to happen in hockey). Unfortunately, there was minor contact at the blueline and the kid went down to his knees right before Larkin reached him, so it looked like an elbow to the face. Whether it actually was an elbow to the face or not does not matter in the slightest.

In short, when you're a nobody and you take a run at a star player, you're going to reach the 'find out' phase.
Completely agree with this.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004

Honestly the biggest issue I have with him taking a run is it looked like he stuck out his elbow to try and catch a piece of Raymond as it was clear he was going to miss.

AlwaysSunnyInDetroit

Oct 1, 2021
I noticed the play in real-time. The guy took a run at Raymond, then play continued with Chicago trying to bring the puck back into Detroit's zone, another Wing took a run at the Chicago player, kind of clipping him, which cause him to go to his knees and as he was sliding forward (and I think the play was offside or something) Larkin then clipped him high while he was sliding on his knees.

The initial Wing hitting him and then Larkin following it up happened back-to-back, where they were both trying to hit the Chicago player, it's just the other Wing got there first and then Larkin right after.
it was johansson

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
That is exactly what Seider needs in a partner. Someone who doesn’t mess around with it. Someone Seider doesn’t have to bail out constantly, like he did Walman.

In my head canon, I kind of expect Johansson to end up Seider's partner by year end not based on "Oh he's an elite 1st Pairing talent", but on the grounds of he's a really smart, all-round, low maintenance partner who can know how to work and complement him in all sorts of different scenarios. More a chemistry, complementary skills thing. I have incredibly high hopes that Johansson ends up being a pretty solid mainstay for us.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
In my head canon, I kind of expect Johansson to end up Seider's partner by year end not based on "Oh he's an elite 1st Pairing talent", but on the grounds of he's a really smart, all-round, low maintenance partner who can know how to work and complement him in all sorts of different scenarios. More a chemistry, complementary skills thing. I have incredibly high hopes that Johansson ends up being a pretty solid mainstay for us.
All the more reason Maatta never being tried there is baffling.

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
I like all the pretty colors and how they make it like a videogame, but charts like this where I have absolutely no idea where the data is coming from or how they're arriving at these numbers don't mean a whole lot to me.

Just because you don’t know anything about it, doesn’t mean it‘s wrong (doesn’t mean it’s right, either!)..

..but you know, I get the point in general. I just didn’t like what I saw from that line, I didn’t like it last season, and the chart just looked like it. And yes, that’s biased. ;)

The main reason is, I’m not yet convinced DBC is worth that contract. Or should be on the first line.

Don’t get me wrong, the decision was right at that point to trade/extend and get him, and we wouldn’t have gotten him for less money.. but I don’t like the general setup of two rather smallish wingers in the Top6, and not on the same line, and that being the first line.

For some reason, if that works out, it’s always on other teams and never for us.

And while I see a lot of upside with Ray (who is already better) and like that extension, I don’t think DBC will improve much.

I‘d be happy if he completely proves me wrong, puts up 80 points on Larkins line (no matter who the 3rd guy is) - I just don’t see it. :skeptic:

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Just because you don’t know anything about it, doesn’t mean it‘s wrong (doesn’t mean it’s right, either!)..

..but you know, I get the point in general. I just didn’t like what I saw from that line, I didn’t like it last season, and the chart just looked like it. And yes, that’s biased. ;)

The main reason is, I’m not yet convinced DBC is worth that contract. Or should be on the first line.

Don’t get me wrong, the decision was right at that point to trade/extend and get him, and we wouldn’t have gotten him for less money.. but I don’t like the general setup of two rather smallish wingers in the Top6, and not on the same line, and that being the first line.

For some reason, if that works out, it’s always on other teams and never for us.

And while I see a lot of upside with Ray (who is already better) and like that extension, I don’t think DBC will improve much.

I‘d be happy if he completely proves me wrong, puts up 80 points on Larkins line (no matter who the 3rd guy is) - I just don’t see it. :skeptic:

To be clear, that's exactly what I meant. It looks pretty but I have no idea what it's built on.

Reactions: OneMoreTry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad