GDT: Preseason Game 1: Red Wings at chicago 9/25/24 8:00 pm et

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Some notes from first preseason game.

First thing’s first. The pace of the game really did match NHL pace for the most part. A lot of the games so far, have been AHL pace. That says a lot about the young players for both Chicago and Detroit. It’s also a better way to judge the kids rather than like Montreal fans thinking their Dmen are ready for prime time, after playing against ECHL and junior players at AHL pace.

So you always have to be careful making judgments on young players in preseason games.

Thought Elmer looked really good last weekend and he followed that up tonight. Yea, he made the one bad pass, but that happens with all young players. Big deal.

His skating is much, much better, and he looks much stronger. On the puck as well. Like I said, we were commenting about it last weekend and again tonight. He’s noticeably quicker. He’s playing at NHL pace too, which was the knock against him the last two years.. He looks much more comfortable. Those passes are always gonna happen with younger players, until they mature in the NHL. His overall game looks like it’s taken a step towards the NHL.

If Elmer makes the team, I’d tend to say that’s trouble for Austin Watson making it. He’s the only one I think that applies to. If other youngsters make it, think that means they’ll move a Top 9 player and still sign Watson. With Elmer, I think it means, Watson is likely released from his PTO. He played fine tonight in the exact role he’ll play if they sign him. I’m obviously rooting for Austin, as I’ve known him since he was a kid.

We’ll see on that. It just makes a lot of sense having a Watson because of the dirty players in the division, and they have to send messages at times this year too. Especially having Kane, Larkin and Debrincat.

Couple of big deal type things from tonight?

The way Edvinsson is taking control of his pairing. That was expected as that’s how the season ended, but looks like he’s found his confidence at the NHL level and that’s not the easiest thing to do, when you’re 21 playing with long time NHL veterans.

He was the best Dman on the ice tonight. Both teams. He’s just so smooth, and his insane reach gives him such an advantage. He kept the puck in the zone 3-4 times tonight using his reach. Whether pinching down and using it, or at the line a couple times. That’s hundreds of times during a season, instead of the puck in your zone. It’s so important. He was also very active in the O-Zone. He’s likely gonna get burned doing this too much, but a few times, his aggressiveness in the zone, kept them on the attack. He’ll have to find that happy spot, being aggressive but not being too aggressive. Great to see though, because they’re gonna need more offense from their blue line.

The other thing that was a big deal in this game?

How quick Albert Johansson moves the puck.

His retrieval skills are really, really quick and smart, and he gets rid of the puck, just as quick as he tracks it down. He’s a really smart dman. There was a play late in the 3rd where he was near the sideboards, half circle, because he knew the puck was coming there. That’s been a big problem for the Wings recently. They’d go too deep. Especially Walman. He’d always come too far down, and make his life so much harder. So many turnovers happened because of how NOT smart some of their Dmen played recently.

Anyway. Johansson played the puck, had to make one move to lose a forechecker, and the puck was at the opposing blue line in like 1.5 seconds total. Whoever the forward was, mishandled the pass, but whatever. That’s how you’re taught to get the puck up these days. Read the ice, retrieve, lose forecheckers and get the puck to your forwards. All very quickly.

He does it really well. That too will save them from the puck being in their zone too much..

That’s gonna be such a big thing as he earns his spot moving forward. He’s never gonna put up points because of how he plays the game, but hands down, he chases the puck down quickly, and it’s in the neutral zone a second later.

That is exactly what Seider needs in a partner. Someone who doesn’t mess around with it. Someone Seider doesn’t have to bail out constantly, like he did Walman.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say they end up partners for a long time. Might not be this season, but I bet that’s who he ends up being remembered as. Mo Seider’s long time partner.

Other young players?

Kasper played with NHL pace every shift. He’s getting closer. In fact he’s ready, but I think half a season in GR putting up points, might be the best thing for him right this second. They’re not in a hurry.

Lombardi had some really good shifts tonight, then not so much. He sees the ice really well and settles things down a lot I’ve noticed. At pace too. He might just end up being something interesting for the Wings. Much stronger than last year too btw. Even during the AHL playoffs. He used his summer wisely.

MBN did some good things. So did Mazur at times.

MBN read the smaller ice just fine. Didn’t notice any uncomfortableness from him. Think he should start the year in GR. I wouldn’t send him back. Depending on who would be injured, he could get that call. If he’s in Sweden, it won’t be him. There are some roster concerns in GR though. They have a ton of young players on NHL ELC contracts already. Think if he’s mentally ready for an 18 year old, they should keep him here though, and figure the roster out.

Thought Gustavsson was dreadful from the very first shift, till the last shift. At least he was consistent. 😂😂 Literally the first shift I sent a text to someone saying God help Maatta..

Hopefully that was a fluke.

Oh yea. Finnie had some really good shifts too. He’s gonna be an interesting player. If he gets stronger, he might be able to be a little bit of a pest (who can score) in the NHL, cause he does get his nose dirty. Look for a big season in Kamloops. Might get traded to another WHL team I’m told, but either way, he’s gonna have a great year. Hopefully he gets a Team Canada call come late November btw.

Cossa was very cool and collected as well. He’s becoming a very professional goalie. Likely ready next year. At least as the backup and see where that goes. Don’t be surprised if he gets 2-3 NHL games this season.

Thought Husso looked pretty good. He had the one mishap but he seemed to have his quickness recovering back. Something he just didn’t have since December of 2022.

Biggest difference with all the young guys? They are much stronger as a whole, and play with much more confidence, and pace. than a year ago. Like to see Kasper and Lombardi play a lot of big minutes the first half of the season, and take that big offensive step, we see from skilled, young players in the AHL.

Like to see Wallinder, Tuomisto and Danielson playing with vets next game. Tuomisto is having a real good camp from what I’m hearing, as is Nate. I wanna see where Wallinder is too. He took some nice steps late last season, and in the playoffs. Now he’ll get every chance to be one of the leaders on that blue line this year. Exactly where they thought he’d be development wise. Then next year at this time, he should be pushing for a spot. If he’s still here….

I’ve heard teams ask about him, because they know Detroit has too many Dmen. It’s pretty rare that a team would trade a kid like that, but teams think maybe Detroit will. So look for teams asking about him, if trade situations come up. I don’t think they’d include him in a Fowler trade though. For what that’s worth anyway. Just a good chance if they trade for a core type player, good bet he’s the prospect going.

As for Fowler, I think I there’s a good chance he ends up in Nashville. If he’s coming to Detroit, it’s gonna be as Edvinsson’s partner. Cam can play the right side, no problem.

Hearing the Wings are concerned about Petry being able to play the minutes it looks like Edvinsson will. Right now that’s the plan though. All Petry has to do, is support Edvinsson. It was the best games he played last year, so they did build some chemistry. Just think, as the Wings supposedly do, he may wear down.

It’s the Wings biggest question this year, roster wise. Edvinsson’s partner. I’d like to see them take a run at Shea Theodore to fill that spot, but we’ll see. He still doesn’t have a contract in Vegas, after this season. So good bet he’s traded unless they wanna keep him for the playoffs themselves, then lose him for nothing.

He’d also solve their need for more offense from the backend btw. Right now, if Gustavsson plays like that this season, they’re gonna have a major issue.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I’m so confused where are you guys seeing the lines at?

I also lost my job and just got back from the gym so I might be stupid and blind because I’m exhausted lol
DeBrincat - Larkin - Raymond
Motte - Veleno - Watson
Soderblom - Kasper - Brandsegg-Nygard
Lombardi - Finnie - Mazur

Edvinsson-Petry
Maatta-Gustafson
Johansson-Holl

Husso (starting) 40min
Cossa 20min

So kind of NHL 1st+4th lines and 2-3-4 D-pairs + 3rd-4th goalies.

Edvinsson-Petry did pretty good.

1727339027438.png

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

First thing’s first. The pace of the game really did match NHL pace for the most part. A lot of the games so far, have been AHL pace. That says a lot about the young players for both Chicago and Detroit. It’s also a better way to judge the kids rather than like Montreal fans thinking their Dmen are ready for prime time, after playing against ECHL and junior players at AHL pace.

So you always have to be careful making judgments on young players in preseason games.

Thought Elmer looked really good last weekend and he followed that up tonight. Yea, he made the one bad pass, but that happens with all young players. Big deal.

His skating is much, much better, and he looks much stronger. On the puck as well. Like I said, we were commenting about it last weekend and again tonight. He’s noticeably quicker. He’s playing at NHL pace too, which was the knock against him the last two years.. He looks much more comfortable. Those passes are always gonna happen with younger players, until they mature in the NHL. His overall game looks like it’s taken a step towards the NHL.

If Elmer makes the team, I’d tend to say that’s trouble for Austin Watson making it. He’s the only one I think that applies to. If other youngsters make it, think that means they’ll move a Top 9 player and still sign Watson. With Elmer, I think it means, Watson is likely released from his PTO. He played fine tonight in the exact role he’ll play if they sign him. I’m obviously rooting for Austin, as I’ve known him since he was a kid.

We’ll see on that. It just makes a lot of sense having a Watson because of the dirty players in the division, and they have to send messages at times this year too. Especially having Kane, Larkin and Debrincat.

The way Edvinsson is taking control of his pairing. That was expected as that’s how the season ended, but looks like he’s found his confidence at the NHL level and that’s not the easiest thing to do, when you’re 21 playing with long time NHL veterans.

He was the best Dman on the ice tonight. Both teams. He’s just so smooth, and his insane reach gives him such an advantage. He kept the puck in the zone 3-4 times tonight using his reach. Whether pinching down and using it, or at the line a couple times. That’s hundreds of times during a season, instead of the puck in your zone. It’s so important. He was also very active in the O-Zone. He’s likely gonna get burned doing this too much, but a few times, his aggressiveness in the zone, kept them on the attack. He’ll have to find that happy spot, being aggressive but not being too aggressive. Great to see though, because they’re gonna need more offense from their blue line.

His retrieval skills are really, really quick and smart, and he gets rid of the puck, just as quick as he tracks it down. He’s a really smart dman. There was a play late in the 3rd where he was near the sideboards, half circle, because he knew the puck was coming there. That’s been a big problem for the Wings recently. They’d go too deep. Especially Walman. He’d always come too far down, and make his life so much harder. So many turnovers happened because of how NOT smart some of their Dmen played recently.

Anyway. Johansson played the puck, had to make one move to lose a forechecker, and the puck was at the opposing blue line in like 1.5 seconds total. Whoever the forward was, mishandled the pass, but whatever. That’s how you’re taught to get the puck up these days. Read the ice, retrieve, lose forecheckers and get the puck to your forwards. All very quickly.

He does it really well. That too will save them from the puck being in their zone too much..

That’s gonna be such a big thing as he earns his spot moving forward. He’s never gonna put up points because of how he plays the game, but hands down, he chases the puck down quickly, and it’s in the neutral zone a second later.

That is exactly what Seider needs in a partner. Someone who doesn’t mess around with it. Someone Seider doesn’t have to bail out constantly, like he did Walman.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say they end up partners for a long time. Might not be this season, but I bet that’s who he ends up being remembered as. Mo Seider’s long time partner.

Other young players?

Kasper played with NHL pace every shift. He’s getting closer. In fact he’s ready, but I think half a season in GR putting up points, might be the best thing for him right this second. They’re not in a hurry.

Lombardi had some really good shifts tonight, then not so much. He sees the ice really well and settles things down a lot I’ve noticed. At pace too. He might just end up being something interesting for the Wings. Much stronger than last year too btw. Even during the AHL playoffs. He used his summer wisely.

MBN read the smaller ice just fine. Didn’t notice any uncomfortableness from him. Think he should start the year in GR. I wouldn’t send him back. Depending on who would be injured, he could get that call. If he’s in Sweden, it won’t be him. There are some roster concerns in GR though. They have a ton of young players on NHL ELC contracts already. Think if he’s mentally ready for an 18 year old, they should keep him here though, and figure the roster out.

Thought Gustavsson was dreadful from the very first shift, till the last shift. At least he was consistent. 😂😂 Literally the first shift I sent a text to someone saying God help Maatta..

Oh yea. Finnie had some really good shifts too. He’s gonna be an interesting player. If he gets stronger, he might be able to be a little bit of a pest (who can score) in the NHL, cause he does get his nose dirty. Look for a big season in Kamloops. Might get traded to another WHL team I’m told, but either way, he’s gonna have a great year. Hopefully he gets a Team Canada call come late November btw.

Cossa was very cool and collected as well. He’s becoming a very professional goalie. Likely ready next year. At least as the backup and see where that goes. Don’t be surprised if he gets 2-3 NHL games this season.

Thought Husso looked pretty good. He had the one mishap but he seemed to have his quickness recovering back. Something he just didn’t have since December of 2022.

Biggest difference with all the young guys? They are much stronger as a whole, and play with much more confidence, and pace. than a year ago. Like to see Kasper and Lombardi play a lot of big minutes the first half of the season, and take that big offensive step, we see from skilled, young players in the AHL.

Like to see Wallinder, Tuomisto and Danielson playing with vets next game. Tuomisto is having a real good camp from what I’m hearing, as is Nate. I wanna see where Wallinder is too. He took some nice steps late last season, and in the playoffs. Now he’ll get every chance to be one of the leaders on that blue line this year. Exactly where they thought he’d be development wise. Then next year at this time, he should be pushing for a spot. If he’s still here….

I’ve heard teams ask about him, because they know Detroit has too many Dmen. It’s pretty rare that a team would trade a kid like that, but teams think maybe Detroit will. So look for teams asking about him, if trade situations come up. I don’t think they’d include him in a Fowler trade though. For what that’s worth anyway. Just a good chance if they trade for a core type player, good bet he’s the prospect going.

As for Fowler, I think I there’s a good chance he ends up in Nashville. If he’s coming to Detroit, it’s gonna be as Edvinsson’s partner. Cam can play the right side, no problem.

Hearing the Wings are concerned about Petry being able to play the minutes it looks like Edvinsson will. Right now that’s the plan though. All Petry has to do, is support Edvinsson. It was the best games he played last year, so they did build some chemistry. Just think, as the Wings supposedly do, he may wear down.

It’s the Wings biggest question this year, roster wise. Edvinsson’s partner. I’d like to see them take a run at Shea Theodore to fill that spot, but we’ll see. He still doesn’t have a contract in Vegas, after this season. So good bet he’s traded unless they wanna keep him for the playoffs themselves, then lose him for nothing.

He’d also solve their need for more offense from the backend btw. Right now, if Gustavsson plays like that this season, they’re gonna have a major issue.

Unbelieveable report. Big thanks about this.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
In a preseason game where wins really don't matter, I don't understand why coaches give hardly any ice time to players like Finnie, Lombardi. (Hard to make much of an impression with what maybe 5-7 minutes of ice time.

They all played over 12 minutes.

Cat 15min - Larks 17min - Ray 17min
Elmer 15min - Kasper 16min - MBN 15min
Lombardi 13min - Finnie 12min - Mazur 15min
Motte 12min - Vele 14min - Watson 10min

AlwaysSunnyInDetroit

Oct 1, 2021

Other young players?

imagine if we end up with 4 nhl players from the '19 draft (seider, johansson, soderblom, tuomisto)

what a haul that would be

AlwaysSunnyInDetroit

Oct 1, 2021
Doubtful tbh. 2021 and 2023 both look exceptional though so far..

21: Edvinsson, Cossa, Mazur, Buium, Savage
23: Danielson, Pellikka, Augustine, Finnie
i think soderblom and tuomisto are more likely to make it than buium and savage. finnie still too early to tell either way

the other 6 however 😍

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
i think soderblom and tuomisto are more likely to make it than buium and savage. finnie still too early to tell either way

the other 6 however 😍
In the modern NHL where there is a premium on skating I am not sure I agree. Savage has a utility down the lineup and as a PK guy that I think he is pretty likely to wind up a bottom 6 guy. Big year for Buium but Soderblom and Tuomisto need big years to avoid a departure back to Europe so the other two have better development runways at this point in my opinion. Tuomisto is still and intriguing 6th/7th D.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
anyone have highlight?

Gustafsson in the highlights for all the wrong reasons

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
On his first pass in his first preseason game. The rest of the game he was solid. Don’t confuse him with number 56.
Oh yeah, that was the other thing I wanted to touch on. Gustafsson was realbad. Hopefully there's a degree of shaking off rust there.
Imagine if Danielson looks like Kasper come Friday night? Great problem to have.
This is what I was thinking. I essentially had Kasper and Danielsson dead even in my mind. Now, Danielson is going to have to do some work to stay even with Kasper. And if he does keep up, wow we're in a good spot

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022

Other young players?

I always enjoy your write ups.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
imagine if we end up with 4 nhl players from the '19 draft (seider, johansson, soderblom, tuomisto)

what a haul that would be
The 2021 Draft is gonna be really solid too. Especially if Savage ends up an NHL player. I almost feel sorry for the kid. He would’ve likely been signed in each of the last 2 summers but they have too many kids in Grand Rapids. So MSU is a great spot for him still. They’ll be forced to make their decision on him in the Spring.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If Gus doesn't improve we have enough D to just bury him. It would suck, especially that second year, but it's doable. I admit, I have a hard time complaining about much of anything last night after some of the hockey we've seen the past five years.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I heard Kasper looked like a man last night?

Other young players?

Props for taking the time to write this. Very good work.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I need to see replays of whatever happened early with Raymond/Larkin. The UC didn’t show a replay in-house, so I’m guessing Chicago did some cheap shit before the Larkin penalty. If it was a knee on knee attempt against Raymond, and Larkin went after the guy in response, then… high or not, DGAF, good on Larkin. Hurt the dude back. That’s the only way you deter that crap since the league doesn’t do anything about it.

I noticed the play in real-time. The guy took a run at Raymond, then play continued with Chicago trying to bring the puck back into Detroit's zone, another Wing took a run at the Chicago player, kind of clipping him, which cause him to go to his knees and as he was sliding forward (and I think the play was offside or something) Larkin then clipped him high while he was sliding on his knees.

The initial Wing hitting him and then Larkin following it up happened back-to-back, where they were both trying to hit the Chicago player, it's just the other Wing got there first and then Larkin right after.

Reactions: jaster

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013

That's a great summary of how things looked last night and looking ahead. Thanks for posting.

If Edvinsson and possibly AlJo use their puck skills to improve d-zone possession/puck movement, I'll take that even if their production doesn't match Ghost/Walman. Wings were 11th OA last season in points produced by D, 8th in goals scored; they don't need to match those numbers (and probably won't with what's on the roster now) to be a better team this season.

Glad you mentioned Fowler and Theodore. There are still trade avenues open to SY if he feels a playoff berth hinges on upgrading that second pair. You can add Rasmus Andersson too. Cap space for any of them can be found if needed, starting with the $5.2M committed to Maatta/Veleno. Wings have enough prospect depth to even overpay for a quality D.

Reactions: DatsDeking

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad