GDT: Preseason 1 - Canes vs Tampa - its gameday.... kinda

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I know it's only 1 pre-season game so no need to over-react, but Coghlan doesn't look like an NHL defenseman. He made that one great pass, but he doesn't give much confidence playing defense. He makes Hand Grenade Hainsey look like the most poised defensemen ever to play.

On the flips side, I know it's only 1 game so I'm going to over-react. Unger Sorem is now my favorite Canes forward prospect.

Last edited:

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I know it's only 1 pre-season game so no need to over-react, but Coghlan doesn't look like an NHL defenseman. He made that one great pass, but he doesn't give much confidence playing defense. He makes Hand Grenade Hainsey look like the most poised defensemen every to play.

On the flips side, I know it's only 1 game so I'm going to over-react. Unger Sorem is now my favorite Canes forward prospect.

Unlike years prior when our defence was weak at least we know he is highly unlikely to get in to many, if any, games. I’m confused as to why he got a one-way but he’s so far down the depth chart he shouldn’t see any nhl action.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

It’s fun because everything he does well you can be like “wow, the next Aho!” And every time he gets overwhelmed or screws up you can be like “he turned 18 2 weeks ago, the kid’s playing with house money, leave him alone!”

That dynamic having been acknowledged, he’s also my favorite… :laugh:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
It’s fun because everything he does well you can be like “wow, the next Aho!” And every time he gets overwhelmed or screws up you can be like “he turned 18 2 weeks ago, the kid’s playing with house money, leave him alone!”

That dynamic having been acknowledged, he’s also my favorite… :laugh:
Its interesting but I also noticed that Gleason would pull him aside and talk to him after quite a few of his shifts during the game. They were clearly making of point of giving him direct coaching, which is likely a pretty good sign for the future.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

"When coach Rod Brind’Amour was asked which players he noticed, he immediately mentioned Unger Sorum.

“Well, I actually the youngest kid on the ice was pretty — to be honest, I was a little (unsure),” Brind’Amour said. “He just turned 18, you’re not sure how he’s going to take the moment. And he looked like he had no problem. … I think he caught my eye for sure.”

Unger Sorum got pushed around a bit at times — not a surprise for a teenager weighing 170 pounds — but the skill, poise and smarts all seem to be there.

“He’s just a kid,” Brind’Amour added. “There’s definitely a bright future, I think, for him.”"

"I thought the youngest kid on the ice was pretty good,” he said. “Actually, I wasn’t sure. He just turned 18 and you weren’t sure how he was going to take the moment. It looked like he had no problem. He was hanging on to pucks, almost too much at times, trying to make plays.

“But you like to see that, especially in these kinds of games. So he was solid. You don’t teach some things (like) that kind of poise. Some guys just have it and you can see he has it. And he’s just a kid.”"

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I know it's only 1 pre-season game so no need to over-react, but Coghlan doesn't look like an NHL defenseman.
Direct coaching be damned, I'm with @Boom Boom Apathy Coghlan looked like dog shit all night. That pass to Gunler felt more like a fluke considering the rest of his evening's work.

Speaking of Gunler, I made a point of trying to watch him every shift he was on the ice. That kid is so very talented. And, contrary to some previous reports, his effort level was very high. He looked good defensively, hustled to cover his man, even blocked a couple of shots. But where he really shines is in the offensive zone. He just knows how to find that soft area....and he keeps moving to continue to find it. If Ryan Suzuki had more mustard on a couple of passes, he likely pots another goal or two. We haven't had many with his offensive instincts and as long as he continues to put in the effort, I think we might have a good one in Gunler.

Unger-Sorum was definitely visible all night. I thought Rees and Suzuki also had a pretty serviceable game. I also liked what I saw of Robidas. He needs time at the AHL level, but you can see his talent. Of the PTOs, I felt Perlini looked the best.

Of the defensemen, Jones and Chatfield showed me the most last night. I agree that none of the NHLers were particularly engaged, but, for example, when Chatty was engaged, he definitely outclassed his competition.

Game was sloppy as was expected, but our "middle of the pack" prospect pool took a step forward last night IMO.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Direct coaching be damned, I'm with @Boom Boom Apathy Coghlan looked like dog shit all night. That pass to Gunler felt more like a fluke considering the rest of his evening's work.

Speaking of Gunler, I made a point of trying to watch him every shift he was on the ice. That kid is so very talented. And, contrary to some previous reports, his effort level was very high. He looked good defensively, hustled to cover his man, even blocked a couple of shots. But where he really shines is in the offensive zone. He just knows how to find that soft area....and he keeps moving to continue to find it. If Ryan Suzuki had more mustard on a couple of passes, he likely pots another goal or two. We haven't had many with his offensive instincts and as long as he continues to put in the effort, I think we might have a good one in Gunler.

Unger-Sorum was definitely visible all night. I thought Rees and Suzuki also had a pretty serviceable game. I also liked what I saw of Robidas. He needs time at the AHL level, but you can see his talent. Of the PTOs, I felt Perlini looked the best.

Of the defensemen, Jones and Chatfield showed me the most last night. I agree that none of the NHLers were particularly engaged, but, for example, when Chatty was engaged, he definitely outclassed his competition.

Game was sloppy as was expected, but our "middle of the pack" prospect pool took a step forward last night IMO.

Yeah that whole top line was good. Agree about Perlini - dude's got a wristshot. I can't say I saw much of anything from Robidas, but I did fall asleep after the 2nd period. I agree about Gunler, his effort level was high. Maybe a "the coaches are watching" type of attitude? It did seem a bit forced/unsustainable the way he was flying back for backchecks. Halbgewachs was noticeable in a positive way as well. Orlov looked new and unsure of what he was doing. Suzuki had a rush (in the 2nd, I believe) that was impressive from a skating perspective, I guess I'd never seen him fly like that.

It's cool to see everyone immediately go nuts on the forecheck. It's certainly a system that gets rewarded in the preseason against teams still trying to find their legs than it does in the regular/postseason.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Maybe it was said, but I was impressed with that preseason stream last night. Production value, and quality seemed a lot better than in years past but I don't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday so who knows.
Yeah, once they got it working, it was fine.

They could do without the 1980s style graphic of "Let's Go Canes" though.

whiskers

Aug 2, 2018
was last night game televised, any goals videos , i dont see them anywhere , i tried on the canes main site's link always gave me an error , goe crap so i tried Ipvanish to change location , closest was Charlotte and still same error message

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Yeah, once they got it working, it was fine.

They could do without the 1980s style graphic of "Let's Go Canes" though.

I came in late so probably missed some of the technical difficulties, and agree that graphic needs to go. I wouldn't mind if the cheaters never win thing also left the building. Not sure if they flashed that up last night. It's cringe as my kids would say.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad