Post-Game Talk: Preds def. Canucks - 5-4 (SO) (Kuzmenko x2, Dries, Garland)

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
WHEN: February 21st, 5:00PM PST
WHERE: Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC
TV: portsnet Pacific
RADIO: Sportsnet 650

Canucks Line-Up:

Kuzmenko-Pettersson-Beauvillier
Di Giuseppe-Miller-Boeser
Podkolzin-Studnicka-Garland
Joshua-Aman-Dries

Hughes-Bear
Stillman-Burroughs
Wolanin-Myers

Delia

Predators Line-Up:

Granlund - Johansen - Duchene
Niederreiter - Glass - Tomasino
Trenin - Sissons - Jeannot
Smith - Novak - Parssinen

McDonagh - Josi
Ekholm - Lauzon
Gravel - Fabbro

Saros

Last edited:

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Also curious that they haven't placed OEL on IR despite reportedly being out "weeks". Dermott was the one placed on IR so Wolanin can take his spot but they've left OEL on the roster. Just seems odd.
I'm confused by this as well - unless this is some big brain financial play to accumulate as much IR space by the deadline. Really not sure how that works anymore.

Reactions: theguardianII

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I'm confused by this as well - unless this is some big brain financial play to accumulate as much IR space by the deadline. Really not sure how that works anymore.

It doesn't. There's no accumulation with LTIR. Since the Canucks started the season with exactly zero space, anyone they add to LTIR just adds their same cap number. So it's actually pretty easy for the Canucks. The only reason to not place him on LTIR is if he's not shut down for the season.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
WHEN: February 21st, 5:00PM PST
WHERE: Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC
TV: portsnet Pacific
RADIO: Sportsnet 650

Canucks Line-Up:

Kuzmenko-Pettersson-Beauvillier
Di Giuseppe-Miller-Boeser
Podkolzin-Studnicka-Garland
Joshua-Aman-Dries

Hughes-Bear
Stillman-Myers
Wolanin-Schenn

TBD

Predators Line-Up:

TBD
This honestly is probably our optimal lineup if you flip pairs two and three on D so Schenn and Wolanin play more.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Also curious that they haven't placed OEL on IR despite reportedly being out "weeks". Dermott was the one placed on IR so Wolanin can take his spot but they've left OEL on the roster. Just seems odd.

The only thing I can think of it if they go below the cap minimum then they need the cap hit.

They would have to move some of Garland, Boeser, Miller and maybe Myers or Demko and use some retention.

Cap hits equalling just over 16 million off the team.

Guessing, could simply be it is easier not to than putting him on LTIR.
A trade?

The Predators are still in the hunt and need playoff revenue to break even, they also have many players around their prime win windows and have committed a lot of their future already.

Nashville has had the Nucks number or the team just has never played really good in that arena except for Kesler's game.

The Preds win at home.

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The only thing I can think of it if they go below the cap minimum then they need the cap hit.

They would have to move some of Garland, Boeser, Miller and maybe Myers or Demko and use some retention.

Cap hits equalling just over 16 million off the team.

Guessing, could simply be it is easier not to than putting him on LTIR.
A trade?

The Predators are still in the hunt and need playoff revenue to break even, they also have many players around their prime win windows and have committed a lot of their future already.

Nashville has had the Nucks number or the team just has never played really good in that arena except for Kesler's game.

The Preds win at home.

I wasn’t talking about LTIR, just regular old IR.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Guessing Lazar is good to go if Lockwood has been returned to Abbotsford.

Also wouldn’t surprise me to see Silovs get his third start.
Wouldnt surprise me either..He certainly looked a lot calmer in the Philly game...He can build on that.

Having a duo of Demko/Silovs giving the Canucks above average goalkeeping would do significant damage to the canucks chances of picking in the top 5.

Last edited:

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Wouldnt surprise me either..He certainly looked a lot calmer in the Philly game...He can build on that.

Having a duo of Demko/Silovs giving the Canucks above average goalkeeping would do significant damage to the canucks chances of picking in the top 5.

I think it is extremely unlikely that we "win" the draft lottery and think we will have to make a deal with whoever gets the first pick. Might cost a lot but will be worth it IMHO...

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I think it is extremely unlikely that we "win" the draft lottery and think we will have to make a deal with whoever gets the first pick. Might cost a lot but will be worth it IMHO...
Only way i see it happening is if they are open to trading QH. Those Devils assets could be parlayed in a trade.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
What a stupid schedule. This week they're in Nashville and St. Louis, and back home Saturday for an early game against Boston. Then they fly back down to Dallas for a game on Monday and fly back home. Idiotic! Granted, it would be more of a big deal if we were a playoff team.

I remember Gillis really fought and worked with the league to make our schedule more sensible. Hope JR/Allvin pay attention for upcoming seasons.

Reactions: sting101

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
Start of a new losing streak!!!

old-school-streaking.gif

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
What a stupid schedule. This week they're in Nashville and St. Louis, and back home Saturday for an early game against Boston. Then they fly back down to Dallas for a game on Monday and fly back home. Idiotic! Granted, it would be more of a big deal if we were a playoff team.

I remember Gillis really fought and worked with the league to make our schedule more sensible. Hope JR/Allvin pay attention for upcoming seasons.
Benning finally got it during his last year I think

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
no one, no way is trading bedard. it is just not happening.
Don't be so sure, I think Alvin will do almost anything to secure him. If we can get him it will help us retain EP immeasurably and it will instantly make us at the very least competitive in most games. We will have an extra first round pick in either this draft or the next which we could trade. Bedard has made it pretty clear that he would LOVE to play here which makes it the first time I can remember in a long time that any "superstar" quality player would choose Vancouver over any other destination. Knowing the sleaziness of FAQ don't be surprised if, once we figure out who has that magical pick, there is a bunch of behind the scenes skullduggery that convinces the team owning that pick that there is the possibility of a sort of "stealth Lindros" affair going on and that they should take the goodies and run. And you can bet there will be a LOT of goodies on offer like multiple first round picks, maybe some other high picks and a bunch of players that it will hurt to lose (other than EP) but it will be worth it, indeed it could be franchise saving. And before anybody says it don't say that Bettman won't allow it; he will do cartwheels of joy if we can pull it off.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Don't be so sure, I think Alvin will do almost anything to secure him. If we can get him it will help us retain EP immeasurably and it will instantly make us at the very least competitive in most games. We will have an extra first round pick in either this draft or the next which we could trade. Bedard has made it pretty clear that he would LOVE to play here which makes it the first time I can remember in a long time that any "superstar" quality player would choose Vancouver over any other destination. Knowing the sleaziness of FAQ don't be surprised if, once we figure out who has that magical pick, there is a bunch of behind the scenes skullduggery that convinces the team owning that pick that there is the possibility of a sort of "stealth Lindros" affair going on and that they should take the goodies and run. And you can bet there will be a LOT of goodies on offer like multiple first round picks, maybe some other high picks and a bunch of players that it will hurt to lose (other than EP) but it will be worth it, indeed it could be franchise saving. And before anybody says it don't say that Bettman won't allow it; he will do cartwheels of joy if we can pull it off.
Sorry, but just can't see it. Nobody is trading away No 1 overall for anything the Canucks have. For example, 3rdOA, 14thOA and Hughes might not be enough to pry Bedard out of someones hands.

Or only real hope is to win the god damn lottery methinks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad