Rumor: Preds and leafs linked to Pesce

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Does Toronto really have the cap to pay him what he’s going to get from the market?

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Sure would love him first pairing with josi in Nashville

Leafs will be linked to every RHD UFA, and 1/2 the LHD UFA available this off season, they need to rebuild it and need 3 D-men

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Does Toronto really have the cap to pay him what he’s going to get from the market?
Roughly 20m after sending players down, with 1B goalie/2 top 6 forward spots to fill (technically Toronto doesn't need to sign any UFAS, since if we sign our RFA forwards, we have enough forwards already) and 3 right side d-dman to fill out..

So yes and no.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
There's quite a bit coming off the books this year even if Marner isn't moved, but there's a lot of holes to address

I’m just expecting Gm’s to still see and value him like a premium RD.

That’s going to be an anchor

Reactions: Regal

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I’m just expecting Gm’s to still see and value him like a premium RD.

That’s going to be an anchor
Yeah I don't know if they can pay for a marquee name unless Marner is gone, if they can sneak in Matt Roy or Tanev around 5 million that should be the move imo

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Roughly 20m after sending players down, with 1B goalie/2 top 6 forward spots to fill (technically Toronto doesn't need to sign any UFAS, since if we sign our RFA forwards, we have enough forwards already) and 3 right side d-dman to fill out..

So yes and no.

I’m looking at 18M cap space with 10 F, 5D& 1G

Giving Pesce 6-6.5M is a rough one, especially since he’ll get the term

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Yeah I don't know if they can pay for a marquee name unless Marner is gone, if they can sneak in Matt Roy or Tanev around 5 million that should be the move imo
Well, if anyone on the UFA list ends up making 7m+ then Toronto should not be paying for a marquee d-man. I can see Montour and maybe Skeji (maybe slightly less) getting that, but no one else should be sniffing that type of number.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
It'll be interesting to see how his 13 point contract year is interpreted. If it's seen as a sign of a decline in skating, the market hasn't been very generous to pure defensive D; Chiarot, Manson, Murphy, Savard and Larsson ranged from $3.5 mil -$4.75 mil on a 4 year deal in recent years. Cap spike would help some.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Well, if anyone on the UFA list ends up making 7m+ then Toronto should not be paying for a marquee d-man. I can see Montour and maybe Skeji (maybe slightly less) getting that, but no one else should be sniffing that type of number.
Pesce reportedly turned down something like 5.5x5, so he's probably looking for a 6x6 or something which I think could be a disaster. There's going to be so many teams looking for the exact mold of RD Toronto is though the prices will inevitably go up

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I’m looking at 18M cap space with 10 F, 5D& 1G

Giving Pesce 6-6.5M is a rough one, especially since he’ll get the term
It's 18.5m right now, that's having Timmins and Weber on the roster, once they go to the minors it's roughly 20m.

Giving Pesce 6.5m would be a big mistake down the line, but Toronto is in a tough spot where they shouldn't be worrying about anything past 4 years from now, here's hoping Brad doesn't overpay on one of these d-man by too much

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I still think whoever signs him is going to have to cough up a draft pick........ say a 4th rounder.

Severson cost a 3rd, so something around there.

new world of right shot defense costing a pick ASWELL as money in free agency.
Not so free anymore.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
It's 18.5m right now, that's having Timmins and Weber on the roster, once they go to the minors it's roughly 20m.

Giving Pesce 6.5m would be a big mistake down the line, but Toronto is in a tough spot where they shouldn't be worrying about anything past 4 years from now, here's hoping Brad doesn't overpay on one of these d-man by too much
If they're going to go around or above 6 million with term for anyone it should definitely be Roy

I still think whoever signs him is going to have to cough up a draft pick........ say a 4th rounder.

Severson cost a 3rd, so something around there.

new world of right shot defense costing a pick ASWELL as money in free agency.
Not so free anymore.
Generally though that's so a team can go up to 8 years which I think would be INSANE to give Pesce

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
If they're going to go around or above 6 million with term for anyone it should definitely be Roy

Generally though that's so a team can go up to 8 years which I think would be INSANE to give Pesce

He's still under the threshold of a player becoming old when he turns 30

I dont think it is insane, term matters less to GM's than current cap hits. Probably because they know they wont be around for the full term.

8th year brings the cap hit down.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think the real question is, did he have Toronto Maple Leafs bedsheets as a kid?

Reactions: DRAGO 18

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Big RHD with a sterling defensive reputation and is not ancient by any means. He’s going to have a big market.

There’s also a reason the Canes, one of the most analytical organizations in the NHL, aren’t fretting losing him and definitely would have a much lower internal cap to re-sign him to.

Definitely can see the fit in both Nashville and Toronto. But if the expectations are a top 15 defensive dman who can log 22+ pure shutdown minutes a night next to Josi or Rielly - probably should lower them. If your club is ok paying a premium that comes with UFA’s in a rising cap era and the premium that comes with this player type and position - I think he’s still a good add despite his drop-off this past season.

You just gotta build into it that the cost is not going to be a direct equivalent to the role because of how you are acquiring him and the stage of his career he is at.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad