Pre-Game Talk: [Pre-Season] GM03 | Vancouver Canucks @ Seattle Kraken | Fri. Sep 27th | 7pm PST | SNP | Heat Seaking Myers-ile

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
He only got into 8 games all of last season. It makes total sense to let him play and practice himself into game shape in Abbotsford. Really hope he can stay healthy - the poor guy seemed finally ready to get his big break when concussions waylaid him.
right, the asshole Tanev f***ed him up.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
For Woo’s sake, I hope he gets claimed. I highly doubt it happens. He’s now 24 years old and has established himself as a good AHL defenseman. I just don’t see him going any further in this organization. There’s a chance he could be a 7/8 defenseman with a number of different teams and have a shot at proving himself in NHL games. So, for his sake I hope he gets claimed. Obviously, from an organizational depth standpoint, it would be good to keep him.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
For Woo’s sake, I hope he gets claimed. I highly doubt it happens. He’s now 24 years old and has established himself as a good AHL defenseman. I just don’t see him going any further in this organization. There’s a chance he could be a 7/8 defenseman with a numbe of different teams and have a shot at proving himself in NHL games. So, for his sake I hope he gets claimed. Obviously from an organizational depth standpoint it would be good to keep him..

Selfishly, I hope he doesn't get claimed. He's my daughters favourite player and she's really looking forward to watching him in Abbotsford.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Not surprised on the waivers, though I think there are other guys I'd send down on the blueline after that last game. That is the first time I can recall even hearing Brisebois' name during camp, so I assume he didn't do much of anything. He will always be famous in my mind for the Benning tire pumping.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Not surprised on the waivers, though I think there are other guys I'd send down on the blueline after that last game. That is the first time I can recall even hearing Brisebois' name during camp, so I assume he didn't do much of anything. He will always be famous in my mind for the Benning tire pumping.

Brisebois was practicing with Group C. Not even sure if he was taking contact.

Reactions: TruGr1t

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It's the correct time to send these guys through waivers. Every other team in the league has comparable players in camp so highly unlikely they will get claimed.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
During training camp, they put him in the group that had all the fringe junior players and tryout guys. No one from the media covered that group much if at all.

Vector beat me :mad:

Reactions: TruGr1t and Vector

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I am sure the Canucks would be quite happy if Brisebois is claimed. I know its insensitive, but he's a 27 year old defensemen coming off serious concussions, and at this point its unclear whether he can even regain his form which was essentially just a 8-10th depth defensemen in the NHL.

I used to think there might be something there with Wolanin, but he's a soft defensemen that doesn't play very good defense, and isn't able to contribute much offensively. There is no room for him on a competitive NHL team. I could see him being a depth defesenmen on a bottom ten team though.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
For Woo’s sake, I hope he gets claimed. I highly doubt it happens. He’s now 24 years old and has established himself as a good AHL defenseman. I just don’t see him going any further in this organization. There’s a chance he could be a 7/8 defenseman with a number of different teams and have a shot at proving himself in NHL games. So, for his sake I hope he gets claimed. Obviously, from an organizational depth standpoint, it would be good to keep him.
Don't think it really matters much whether or not he gets claimed. Canucks only signed him to a one-year deal, and barring some sort of miraculous breakthrough season in Abbotsford, it's doubtful that he's qualified next spring. Canucks have a bunch of younger d-men coming who will need time in the AHL. And at 24, Woo has probably topped out as an AHL d-man.

Just another draft pick in the last few years of the Benning regime who simply never really panned out. Podkolzin is already gone; and Klimovich may as well be. Didn't matter whether they drafted guys 'early' or 'late'......other than Hughes of course, Silovs and Hoglander,, from 2018-onward it was draft day 'death valley'.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Don't think it really matters much whether or not he gets claimed. Canucks only signed him to a one-year deal, and barring some sort of miraculous breakthrough season in Abbotsford, it's doubtful that he's qualified next spring. Canucks have a bunch of younger d-men coming who will need time in the AHL. And at 24, Woo has probably topped out as an AHL d-man.

Just another draft pick in the last few years of the Benning regime who simply never really panned out. Podkolzin is already gone; and Klimovich may as well be. Didn't matter whether they drafted guys 'early' or 'late'......other than Hughes of course, Silovs and Hoglander,, from 2018-onward it was draft day 'death valley'.
It's astonishing how bad Benning drafting was. So much for we feel we can get a NHL player at any point in the draft.... From the last 4 drafts it may only be Hoglander, Podz, McDonaugh and Silovs that see NHL time in their careers. One of those guys likely won't see any more time than his 6 games and I think Podz has a good chanc eto not be long for the league. That leaves Hogs and Silovs.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's astonishing how bad Benning drafting was. So much for we feel we can get a NHL player at any point in the draft....
Under Benning, if you didn't walk right in from your amateur team into the NHL, the AHL wasn't going to help you get there, unless you were a goalie.

Only reason why Hutton and Stecher made it was because they spent basically no time in the A. Everyone else like Bo, Brock, Petey, Hughes arrived right out of wherever they were playing.

It's part drafting, but also player development in the AHL.

And also, for the NHL, you don't have much control over the player in the first 2 years post draft. Relying on Woo's WHL coaching, McDonaugh's coaches at Northeastern, Forsell's coaches in Sweden, etc for their teenage years.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
If there’s a player I wish we kept it would be Kole Lind from the Benning era. He got dicked around in Seattle despite having some really good showings and has continued his success in the AHL.

If he’s on waivers I would love for us to grab him. IMO he would be an upgrade over pretty much most depth guys we have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad