Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season Game #5: Canucks 1 vs. Kings 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Biggest thing I can say after reviewing these comments is that people in general need to be more even keel. Stop freaking out over a few good games by certain players, and stop ****ting on guys after a few bad games.

I mean let's look at this from a simple perspective, the Canucks were a bottom team last year. Since then, they lost the Sedins and Vanek. That's a ton of points out, being replaced by younger unproven players.

The Canucks are returning the exact same defence (more than likely) after a dreadful display last year. Virtually non-existent offensive contribution from the back end.

Here's the x-factor for me, there are no NHL ready players between the young (little to no experience young guys, Lind, Godjovich, Dahlen etc..) and the 23-28 year old players like Granlund, Baertchi, Motte etc....

Because of that, there's a huge gap right now where everyone desperately wants these guys to play and be ready but how can we expect them to be? Most of them haven't even had games in the AHL.

I remember when Detroit was a power house and they would call guys up and they were always so good. It's because they had that time in the AHL chomping at the bit.

I think EP, Gaudette Juolevi are the only guys that look ready to me. Everyone else needs more time and because of they those spots will have to be filled with boring place holders like the Gagner's, Archibald's and Motte's of this world.

In 2-3 years when Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu, Hughes, Woo, EP, Dahlen and a bunch more are ready, this team is going to be damn exciting.

But until then, its 2019 draft watch and many boring games ahead.
Canucks are preaching patience, but I'm not sure about the owner. Since 2012 there's been exactly three playoff games in total at Rogers Arena. And you'd have to be in drug-induced fantasy to quote Burkie, if you think this year will be any different. So that's six years and counting. In other markets, they'd have cleaned house by now. And more than just the President would have walked the plank.

Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat and Hughes will be worth the admission price, but they can't do it alone. And the so-called 'veterans' who are supposed to be guiding the kids have one big problem. They can't play.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
The common sentiment or dilemma in preseason is "waive Vet X and give Kid Y a spot on the team because kid Y is vastly outplaying Vet X!". Problem is, this preseason has just been miserable for EVERYONE, outside of Pettersson (Horvat has been great and Boeser you're pretty sure will be just fine so I'm not including these guys). So, my feeling at this point, for better or worse, just keep all junk - the Gagner's, the Granlund's etc. on the NHL roster and let them toil away. Stash everyone else in Utica and for those watching and keeping track we can then piece together who is worth anything and who isn't. Again, besides Pettersson there really isn't any kid/bubble player who has made his case anyway!

If there is any positive to this preseason outside of the play of Elias, it's that there really shouldn't be any hand-wringing this year about cuts and coaching decisions.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Gudbranson has been the biggest disappointment for me. We know he's not a 2nd pairing anchor, but if he changed his name Ernie Goodman and was here on a PTO is there anyone that wouldn't release him?
Maybe that should be his nick name: Ernie Good Man

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
In 2-3 years when Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu, Hughes, Woo, EP, Dahlen and a bunch more are ready, this team is going to be damn exciting.

In a few years Kassian, Rodin, Gaunce, Lack, Schroeder, Jensen, Connauton and Corrado are going to be decent pieces going forward. - 2012

EP looks on track to deliver but the rest are all question marks. Nothing is ever a sure bet...we see it time and time again.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The common sentiment or dilemma in preseason is "waive Vet X and give Kid Y a spot on the team because kid Y is vastly outplaying Vet X!". Problem is, this preseason has just been miserable for EVERYONE, outside of Pettersson (Horvat has been great and Boeser you're pretty sure will be just fine so I'm not including these guys). So, my feeling at this point, for better or worse, just keep all junk - the Gagner's, the Granlund's etc. on the NHL roster and let them toil away. Stash everyone else in Utica and for those watching and keeping track we can then piece together who is worth anything and who isn't. Again, besides Pettersson there really isn't any kid/bubble player who has made his case anyway!

If there is any positive to this preseason outside of the play of Elias, it's that there really shouldn't be any hand-wringing this year about cuts and coaching decisions.

Yup. Not a single kid aside from Pettersson was even close to earning a spot, and if anything introduced a *ton* of skepticism about the actual strength of our prospect pool. It's really hard to feel hopeful about the future of the team when the calvary turns out to be miniature horses.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Agreed, shows the ineptitude of this management team. It was obvious from last year ( by being a bottom 3 team) that this D-core was not going to CUT IT. They weren't going to generate five-on-five because they can't pass at all. It baffles me... I mean it's lunacy that the same D-core is brought back, and given RAISES. Nothing motivates a player more then play bad only to get a raise. You tell me with this garbage D the Canucks couldn't promise Quinn Hughes a spot?
Hughes wanted to go back to college.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Yup. Not a single kid aside from Pettersson was even close to earning a spot, and if anything introduced a *ton* of skepticism about the actual strength of our prospect pool. It's really hard to feel hopeful about the future of the team when the calvary turns out to be miniature horses.

Dahlen and Gaudette will be just fine. The talent is definitely there. They just need a year in Utica. Juolevi as well. Juolevi was recovering most of the summer and so he didn’t have time to fully train.

I have Palmu listed as a dark horse for making the team one day as well.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Dahlen and Gaudette will be just fine. The talent is definitely there. They just need a year in Utica. Juolevi as well. Juolevi was recovering most of the summer and so he didn’t have time to fully train.

If you can't make a push to crack a garbage roster like this at age 21-22, actually the talent probably isn't there.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
In a few years Kassian, Rodin, Gaunce, Lack, Schroeder, Jensen, Connauton and Corrado are going to be decent pieces going forward. - 2012

EP looks on track to deliver but the rest are all question marks. Nothing is ever a sure bet...we see it time and time again.
I really hope we're talking about a different group of prospects. Hopefully we can agree that the Canucks have better quality/quantity prospects than I've seen before.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I really hope we're talking about a different group of prospects. Hopefully we can agree that the Canucks have better quality/quantity prospects than I've seen before.
Tanev was 23 years old in 2012. Who on that prospects list looks to be able to hit even that modest benchmark? Forwards? Sure, by a wide margin. But team isn't going anywhere if the blueline is a mess.

Reactions: PM

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Gaudette is turning 22 in a week and is coming off a Hobey Baker season and is not making it hard at all on the coaching staff to cut him. That's not good at all.

And even if half the guys posters love to list off as the future of the team make it, it's still likely not going to be enough to make up for the shortcomings of a) the developmental system b) coaching or c) shortages of talent/right complementary players via atrocious professional scouting.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Agreed, shows the ineptitude of this management team. It was obvious from last year ( by being a bottom 3 team) that this D-core was not going to CUT IT. They weren't going to generate five-on-five because they can't pass at all. It baffles me... I mean it's lunacy that the same D-core is brought back, and given RAISES. Nothing motivates a player more then play bad only to get a raise. You tell me with this garbage D the Canucks couldn't promise Quinn Hughes a spot?
Yeah but it was attached to Gudbranson so he ran for his life.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

That group lacks a high impact prospect like Pettersson or Hughes, but otherwise it's pretty much the same as the rest of the group we got. I mean Kassian, Gaunce, Schroeder, and Jensen were all 1st rounders, Rodin a 2nd, and the other 3 didn't have the draft pedigree but were tracking really well. Schroeder in particular was a WJC star, and Kassian was a 14th overall powerforward who at 20 years old had 15 goals in the 30 AHL games he played there before being called up.

Part of the failings with that group is we had a change in GM's and Benning largely razed it to the ground, choosing to trade them for other teams garbage or even just outright cut them.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver, BC
If you can't make a push to crack a garbage roster like this at age 21-22, actually the talent probably isn't there.

I don't know who you're talking about but it could be any number of players and that is sad.

I don't usually care that much about pre-season. Don't even follow it some years. And I am not reading too much into this year's pre-season. But man. I was all prepared to be outraged at Benning/Green for cutting young player X in favor of old player Y and this doesn't even seem to be manifesting. I honestly never would have guessed that the only youngish player to be making a case for being on the team is freaking Tyler Motte.

edit: not counting Pettersson whom I considered a lock long before training camp.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Meh.

I mean, I get the whole, “He’s 21-22 and can’t make a weak roster,” argument, but these guys have a great opportunity to play big minutes in Utica and take their games to the next level.

21-22 isn’t the kiss of death. Players can emerge and grow their games at any age.

I’m actually looking forward to seeing Gaudette and Dahlen possibly light up Utica. Let these young guys log big minutes and build a winner down there.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Unlike the kings broadcasters I’m not going to say this is as expected based on the lineups dressed. I mean I guess so because the team sucks but that isn’t what they meant. They meant the Canucks have a lot oh non-nhlers in the lineup. And I guess that is also true but every single guy dressed were expected to make a legitimate push to be on the opening day roster. This wasn’t a roster of AHL players. This was a roster full of guys management believed could be in the nhl.

This is at worst that great depth Benning loves. Amazing how quick things evaporate when guys fail to impress and others show they are still very raw.

tough decisions

Reactions: cookiefest

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad