GDT: Free Agent Frenzy!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
My favorite UFA forward targets:

Lomberg
Comtois
Cousins
Maroon
Sherwood
Heinen
Trenin

I am not a fan of overpaying a forward in UFA. Fill out the bottom 6 holes in FA and then try and make a trade with a team that is tight to the cap for the top 6 winger.
I like Comtois as a buy low reclamation.

Stenlund would also be a nice add.

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
Thanks as always for the live thread. I'll have it open at work today.

Not sure what to expect, honestly. The Sabres have holes but also have the cash and prospect pool to make some noise. Adams claims he wants to make moves. We shall see.

Should largely be replaced by Malenstyn I'd think.

I do like the fit for ER in Carolina though.

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I feel like we are in trade talks about someone or someones and the other GM is going to be smart enough to wait until we strike out all over in free agency so the pressure is all on Adams internally and externally. Gonna be a brutal try to save my job after neglecting it for years move coming. That is my most optimistic take because it at least involves adding to the roster unlike the last few years.
Penguins beat writers have said there is trade interest for Riley Smith and Lars Eller. When I look at where Buffalo and Pittsburgh are going I think there could be a fit. Both are 1 year left until UFA.

Smith is an adequate 2nd line left winger, but never really clicked with Crosby and Bunting fit really well with Malkin. In Pittsburgh, that means you are not a top six left winger.

Eller is a defense first 3rd line centre that kills penalties and wins faceoffs. He looks like smart enough on the ice to put up more points than he does, but just doesn't have the finish to be an elite 2 way 3rd line centre. The Penguins got a young centre back from Carolina in the Guentzel trade that they probably want to make room for.

Dubas has said he's not looking to dump contracts just to clear cap space, but I don't think he'd demand anything crazy like a first rounder.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I love how there is supposed to be no contact with players and new teams and yet here we are, with the unseriousness of the NHL's enforcement of their own rules, and possible signings trickling in hours before things are set to kick off.

Reactions: oldgoalie

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'd be down for:

- Giving the bag to Lindholm
- Giving Stamkos a huge 2 year offer
- Giving Henrique a 3-4 year deal
- Giving debrusk a long term, 6M or so deal

Fill out 4the line with 1-2 year deals.

After that....a big bunch of meh. I'd probably rather call up Philly and get Farabee for a prospect + pick than get into bad deals for meh players.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Wrong about what? Guentzel has been a PPG player over multiple years and just signed for 7x9. Sam's deal is not some bargain. He got 69 million. Thats insane for Sam Reinhart.
Reinhart's been a PPG for Florida the past 3 years. He's 30+ goals in all his years with them. He's a very pivotal player for their team, and he's pretty damn dependable in terms of injuries/playing time even with how heavy Florida plays their game.

There's nothing INSANE about this deal. Even with the most conservative outlook of understanding that maybe Sam's legs may not make it through the whole deal, Florida should get a very good amount of playing time from Sam at a very reasonable rate, a guy who doesn't take shifts off, and doesn't cheat the game, and relies more on his IQ than body for his game.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Reinhart's been a PPG for Florida the past 3 years. He's 30+ goals in all his years with them. He's a very pivotal player for their team, and he's pretty damn dependable in terms of injuries/playing time even with how heavy Florida plays their game.

There's nothing INSANE about this deal. Even with the most conservative outlook of understanding that maybe Sam's legs may not make it through the whole deal, Florida should get a very good amount of playing time from Sam at a very reasonable rate, a guy who doesn't take shifts off, and doesn't cheat the game, and relies more on his IQ than body for his game.

Considering how Sam plays and the comp I always come to is Pavelski. And Pavs was worth it well into his late 30's. He's smart and excellent positionally and has great hand-eye coordination. None of that will wane as he ages.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Reading that they're going to take a shot at signing Stamkos... ffs.
A small preview
giphy.gif

Reactions: enthusiast

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Impact signing over/under has to be 0 right? Any impact signing would be a surprise.
It all depends on your definition of impact.

Lomberg could make an impact.

Stamkos is even more spent than Richards.
I was referring to the Sabres wanting to sign a UFA forward from TB and them signing elsewhere.

I think there is a 0.000000000000000001% chance that Stamkos signs here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad