GDT: Draft Day GDT -- Sabres current picks: 14, 42, 71, 108, 123, 172, 204, 219

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
better than picking another AHL star..
Is it though? Those 'AHL stars' can be traded for the right type of players in 'win-win' trades. I'm actually an advocate of using the pick to keep the pipeline stocked while moving a Rosen or Kulich while their value is high.

Locking yourself in to paying a guy we don't need in Necas sets us back far further in every possible way.

Reactions: HOOats and Reddawg

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I dunno. Listening to the presser just now, I think Adams knows that he's overflowing with prospects/assets and is ready to use them. He actually specifically said that his preference is to get someone just entering their prime who can grow with the team.......but that those guys are hard to come by or not even available with an overpay.

I think he's ready to pony up for something.
McGroarty? Zegras? Farabee?

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
It's Adams. And given how angry he was about the stuff leaking in regards to the Tulsky deal.........my current bet is on someone that media hasn't even mentioned as available.
Well he can't sulk about the media, he needs to adapt and get the player he wants.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
McGroarty? Zegras? Farabee?
None of these guys (particularly Necas) fit with Adams comments about adding grit.

Either it's smoke or Adams really fooled many of us with his recent pressers.

I realise they could add a Necas and someone else to bring a more physical element. But having Necas as your big statement offseason move would not fix a single thing with this team. It would make everything worse.

I'm not expecting Brady Tkachuk. But give us something...

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
None of these guys (particularly Necas) fit with Adams comments about adding grit.

I realise they could add a Necas and someone else to bring a more physical element. But having Necas as your big statement offseason move would not fix a single thing with this team. It would make everything worse.

Adding Necas, Zegras or Farabee doesn't negate the need for 3-4 line players with physical play. Well, McGroarty fits that description.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

I disagree. Bring that speed back to the Tuch and Thompson line that Skinner was lacking this year; it'd help a lot. Again, he'd need to add a solid top-9 C, some wingers with grit to the 4th line, and not sign Necas to a long-term deal for me to be cool with the trade (depending on value, of course).

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Adding Necas, Zegras or Farabee doesn't negate the need for 3-4 line players with physical play. Well, McGroarty fits that description.
They don't just need physical bottom-six guys, they need a couple Krieder/Neiderreiter/Crouse type guys that can play top-six and bang the boards for TT, Cozens, Peterka, etc and open space for them.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
To think that Adams is having a sincere meltdown at the podium requires you to think that he’s a bit of a rube. Maybe he is, but I think it’s likelier that it’s either smoke to soften the blow of not getting a deal done or an attempt to seem open for business elsewhere

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
To think that Adams is having a sincere meltdown at the podium requires you to think that he’s a bit of a rube. Maybe he is, but I think it’s likelier that it’s either smoke to soften the blow of not getting a deal done or an attempt to seem open for business elsewhere
And it wasn't even a meltdown. His tone was more exasperation than anything else. I'm just inferring that he's pissed b/c he said it like 3 times.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
That's not a great look for him if what Im hearing is true (that he was pissed). It's business, man!
Yeah and when you know you're being used by the other GM thru the media, its a principle thing, if NJ really has the 10th available well Necas is all theres now. He said they are involved in other potential trades that haven't hit the media so there is that.

Not all GM's seem like worms like Tulsky.. his asking price is stupid too.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
They don't just need physical bottom-six guys, they need a couple Krieder/Neiderreiter/Crouse type guys that can play top-six and bang the boards for TT, Cozens, Peterka, etc and open space for them.
They need Cozens, Tuch, and Thompson to show up for more than 1/4 of the season. The top-6 was a joke last season because the players didn't take the offseason seriously enough + Granato was in over his head and couldn't motivate them. Pretty sad they even needed extra motivation after missing the playoffs by 1 point the previous season.

Again, move Greenway up with Cozens and Quinn, and if Cozens progresses like we NEED him to, then we have a shutdown line that can score goals. Ruff needs to have these guys knowing their roles, too. Greenway needs to be that big body PITA to play against, and he showed it at times last year even if he wasn't overly physical.

We really don't need to stack the wings in the top-6 with our most talented players. Balance the lines. And I dont think ANYONE would complain if Thompson's line lacks a bit defensively if theyre even remotely close to how productive they were two seasons ago.

I suppose my point is, there are a million variables as to why this team was ass last year. Adding a gritty top 6 forward (if there's one even available via trade), which I would LOVE to get, isn't going to move the needle a ton on whether or not this team makes the playoffs if our top two centers are inconsistent as hell.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
This x1, 000. Amen.

You can't play 15 forwards every night. We don't have space for all the skill, speed, perimeter guys we already have in the pipeline as it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad