Music: "PPAP (Pen-Pineapple-Apple-Pen)" Debuts at #77 on Billboard Hot 100; Sets Record.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JA

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/7549143/piko-taro-ppap-shortest-song-billboard-hot-100
Piko-Taro's 'PPAP' Is the Shortest Song Ever on Billboard Hot 100
10/19/2016 by Gary Trust

The 45-second-long novelty song rewrites history with its No. 77 entrance on the chart.

He has a pen. He has an apple. Now he has a Billboard Hot 100 record too.

As Piko-Taro debuts on the Hot 100 (dated Oct. 29) at No. 77 with his novelty viral hit "PPAP (Pen-Pineapple-Apple-Pen)," the track makes history as the shortest song -- a mere 45 seconds in length -- ever to reach the chart. According to Paul Haney of Record Research (which has released more than 150 chart reference books by its founder, historian Joel Whitburn), the song bests the mark held for more than 52 years by The Womenfolk's "Little Boxes," which peaked at No. 83 on the Hot 100 in 1964 and is one minute and two seconds long.

Piko-Taro -- sprung from the imagination of Japanese comedian and DJ Daimaou Kosaka -- makes his record-setting Hot 100 arrival with his viral hit, which starts almost exclusively from 5.7 million U.S. streams (nearly all from YouTube clicks) in the week ending Oct. 13, according to Nielsen Music. It also enters the Streaming Songs chart at No. 46.

"PPAP" has already received a major endorsement from Justin Bieber, who, on Sept. 27, tweeted that the track was his "favorite video in the internet" and linked to the clip. The tweet has received 65,000 retweets and 120,000 likes.
It's the Song of the Year.

Here's a live performance.

Last edited by a moderator:

JA

It has also reached #40 on the Hungary Top 40 Singles Chart, #39 on the Canadian Hot 100, #22 on the South Korean Digital Songs Chart, and #3 on the Japan Hot 100.

It's a global phenomenon. In the U.S., it currently ranks above Beyonce's latest single.

PPAP_%28Pen-Pineapple-Apple-Pen%29.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Imagine if we lived in a world in which all Asian songs were like this. Gangnam Style would seem like a mind-blowing masterpiece. Think about it.

I don't get it.

He has a pen. He has an apple. Apple pen! He has a pen. He has a pineapple. Pineapple pen! What exactly don't you get?

Last edited:

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Imagine if we lived in a world in which all Asian songs were like this. Gangnam Style would seem like a mind-blowing masterpiece. Think about it.

He has a pen. He has an apple. Apple Pen! He has a pen. He has a pineapple. Pineapple pen! What exactly don't you get?

Seriously, this isn't complicated. He literally spells it out for us. Geez.

:laugh:

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
Read about this specific song's phenomenon, and I have to say, even Gangnam Style was more impressive than this. Really, Gangnam Style got some airtime here in L.A.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
This was the next logical half-step dumber that pop music was eventually going to make anyway. It was only a matter of time.

We're gonna have 45 second Japanese synth-pop songs about fruit and writing utensils now. Get used to it.

HdZF1y.gif

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I hate everything about internet-driven meme humor. It's almost like most people find it too much work and struggle to understand what makes music good on a serious level, so everyone just takes the easy shortcut of being ironic/sarcastic/making fun of things that are clearly bad before they even know what's good.

Gangnam Style was just exhausting and nothing else.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
I hate everything about internet-driven meme humor. It's almost like most people find it too much work and struggle to understand what makes music good on a serious level, so everyone just takes the easy shortcut of being ironic/sarcastic/making fun of things that are clearly bad before they even know what's good.

With an opinion like that, I must presume that it is in fact good music. Silly songs get on the charts because they are silly and they make people laugh. They make a lot of people laugh. That's all there is to it. If you can't grok silly music, then stay out of the cabaret.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Pretty much sums up the current state of what passes as music these days.
As Dandy Don Meredith used to say way back in the day on Monday Night Football: "Kind of tells you a whole little story right there itself, doesn't it?"

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
In a world that ended with Disco Duck, Pac-Man Fever, Shaddapa You Face, Valley Girl, What Does the Fox Say or We Like Pizza, we wouldn't have had this. And yet somehow, it didn't end.

Ben Grimm

I can't stand the rain ☔
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Billboard only measures weekly rankings so it's not a good measure of total sales. Some other measures of sales include singles, compilation-albums, music videos as well as downloads of singles and are not an accurate way to measure album sales. This is how more recent artists such as Rihanna can be claimed to be eighth all time, because songs are counted the same as albums, as units. Imo the top seven in album sales are The Beatles, Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
and are not an accurate way to measure album sales.

Billboard Hot 100 does not measure album sales. The Hot 100 is a representation of the most consumed songs. Albums by themselves are a poor indicator of popularity of music, especially when it comes to ranking them.

The greatest importance for the Hot 100 is for musicians who are interested in performing songs that are known to be popular. That was the original purpose for charts when they first started emerging in the 1920s (it wasn't Billboard doing it then, mind you.)

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia

I think this is stupid but if someone enjoys somethings who cares if they didn't work hard to like it :laugh:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
With an opinion like that, I must presume that it is in fact good music. Silly songs get on the charts because they are silly and they make people laugh. They make a lot of people laugh. That's all there is to it. If you can't grok silly music, then stay out of the cabaret.

I'm not in Cabaret! :p:

All I'm saying that I hate the fact that the majority of normal people find this brand of ironic internet humor funny. I grok it, I'm just annoyed by it.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
In a world that ended with Disco Duck, Pac-Man Fever, Shaddapa You Face, Valley Girl, What Does the Fox Say or We Like Pizza, we wouldn't have had this. And yet somehow, it didn't end.

Or Crazy Frog.

But novelty songs have been around and been a thing since, what, the 60's? They didn't come around with the advent of the internet, the internet just gave them a bigger platform. Music isn't any more "dead" now because this song exists than it was way back when.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I just think that there's a difference between enjoying something because it's silly, light-hearted fun and enjoying something because it's fun to make fun of how wilfully stupid everyone is aware that it is and like it in an ironic way. The latter is alot more prevalent with meme culture than it used to be, and that's the thing that annoys me, not the fact that it isn't good music/is a novelty.

Now, maybe I'm jumping the gun in assuming that people are liking it ironically rather than sincerely, but it sure seems like one of those things.

Last edited:

JA

I just think that there's a difference between enjoying something because it's silly, light-hearted fun and enjoying something because it's fun to make fun of how wilfully stupid everyone is aware that it is and like it in an ironic way. The latter is alot more prevalent with meme culture than it used to be, and that's the thing that annoys me, not the fact that it isn't good music/is a novelty.

Now, maybe I'm jumping the gun in assuming that people are liking it ironically rather than sincerely, but it sure seems like one of those things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad