Speculation: Potential waiver gems

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Leafs have led the league in players lost on waivers (and it's not close) over the last few years so I'm expecting us to lose at least one guy.

Since 2018 the leafs have lost all of the following on waivers.
  • Ryan Dzingel
  • Adam Brooks
  • Mike Amadio
  • Travis Boyd
  • Jimmy Vesey
  • Aaron Dell
  • Dmytro Timashov
  • Nick Shore
  • Calvin Pickard
  • Curtis Mcelhinney
  • Nick Aube-Kubel
  • William Lagesson
I'd imagine this year it will be one of the following: Conor Timmins, Matt Murray or Alex Steeves

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I feel like realistically, the best RHD "available" is probably just going to be Gustav Lindstrom...who isn't even going to hit waivers, because he's still a free agent.

Which is maybe why he didn't sign a deal in the first place. This way, he kinda sorta gets to pick his landing spot. But i can't imagine there won't be a team that could use a big #6/7 RHD by the end of camp, somewhere.
I'm actually asking for the RHD upgrade for the Ducks, haha.

Lindstrom is serviceable but really doesn't stand out. He and Pysyk are on par 2-way guys and probably battling to be the Ducks RHD depth/call-up. I was hoping for one that is more dominant defensively and physical with more size.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Lindstrom is serviceable but really doesn't stand out. He and Pysyk are on par 2-way guys and probably battling to be the Ducks RHD depth/call-up. I was hoping for one that is more dominant defensively and physical with more size.

That description sort of fits with Kovacevic if somehow the Devils were to assign him. I can’t see it but sometimes strange things happen.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Leafs have led the league in players lost on waivers (and it's not close) over the last few years so I'm expecting us to lose at least one guy.

Since 2018 the leafs have lost all of the following on waivers.
  • Ryan Dzingel
  • Adam Brooks
  • Mike Amadio
  • Travis Boyd
  • Jimmy Vesey
  • Aaron Dell
  • Dmytro Timashov
  • Nick Shore
  • Calvin Pickard
  • Curtis Mcelhinney
  • Nick Aube-Kubel
  • William Lagesson
I'd imagine this year it will be one of the following: Conor Timmins, Matt Murray or Alex Steeves
while yes the Leafs have lost the most players to waivers since 2018, it actually is close. I believe Florida has lost 10 players to waivers in that span too. They are just as likely to lose a player to waivers

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
That description sort of fits with Kovacevic if somehow the Devils were to assign him. I can’t see it but sometimes strange things happen.
I was hoping the Ducks picked him up when he was waived a while back and his size would be nice. He should be an upgrade over Lindstrom/Pysyk (or at least add a different element) and would force Luneau to cook a bit in the AHL.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The bolded I doubt will be touched by 31 other teams. Teams don’t need an expensive 4th option in net.

Murray has a $875,000 AAV this season, his contract (that was stupid from Day 1, Pierre Dorion of course) is over now.

Murray never had talent as a problem, he has the perfect shape for a goalie and good reflexes/instincts and tracks the puck well. But the guy is probably one of the most injury prone players in history. I have been a goalie for a long time and injury do slow you down for real.

You kinda need 3 goalies nowadays and the Leafs have managed that file perfectly. Stolarz is quite underrated, Woll is a good young goalie and Murray is a good vet when healthy

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Murray has a $875,000 AAV this season, his contract (that was stupid from Day 1, Pierre Dorion of course) is over now.

Murray never had talent as a problem, he has the perfect shape for a goalie and good reflexes/instincts and tracks the puck well. But the guy is probably one of the most injury prone players in history. I have been a goalie for a long time and injury do slow you down for real.

You kinda need 3 goalies nowadays and the Leafs have managed that file perfectly. Stolarz is quite underrated, Woll is a good young goalie and Murray is a good vet when healthy
Just most teams won’t touch him unless there’s desperation involved. Even with needing 3 goalies, quite a bit would rather see what they have in the system first then go after a guy like Murray.

What if we retain him down to 450k?
Rather watch Nick Robertson push someone else into the opposition instead.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Names like Barron and Timmins are interesting because Josh Brown has looked like ass in Edmonton and Troy Stecher has been slow to bounce back from surgery on his ankle. I think Edmonton will be watching the waiver wire for 3RD and 4C options.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Names like Barron and Timmins are interesting because Josh Brown has looked like ass in Edmonton and Troy Stecher has been slow to bounce back. I think Edmonton will be watching the waiver wire for 3RD and 4C options.

Josh Brown is like the complete opposite type than Barron/Timmins. If the oilers value that type of game for their 3RD, i doubt those two would be of much interest.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Josh Brown is like the complete opposite type than Barron/Timmins. If the oilers value that type of game for their 3RD, i doubt those two would be of much interest.
I think that Edmonton just wants a guy that can play. Ideally they'd like to replace Desharnais, but Josh Brown can't carry Desharnais' jock, so far. Hopefully he looks better as the preseason goes on but so far, he's atrocious.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Oilers are going to cut a player they just signed 3 months ago to a multi year contract?

Who is in charge of their professional scouting department for Dmen? Guess they didnt learn from the Nurse fiasco.

Bouchard chompin at the bit given how Oilers just throw Millions of dollars away to Dmen.

How's signing D depth at 1m, an amount that could be fully buried if waived, throwing money away? I mean it's either buried if he clears or gone if he's claimed.

Every team needs a good 9 D that can play NHL mins. Even if waived he likely clears due to the term as already mentioned. He's also likely to see NHL mins this season regardless. He's been brought in as a 6/7/8 D. When you fall into this grouping on any club, you risk being a press-box filler or being sent down.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
How's signing D depth at 1m, an amount that could be fully buried if waived, throwing money away? I mean it's either buried if he clears or gone if he's claimed.

Every team needs a good 9 D that can play NHL mins. Even if waived he likely clears due to the term as already mentioned. He's also likely to see NHL mins this season regardless. He's been brought in as a 6/7/8 D. When you fall into this grouping on any club, you risk being a press-box filler or being sent down.
I'm pretty sure the Brown signing was just throwing one of our old balls should have been fired long ago scouts a bone. Probably Chris Chickocki or "why the f*** is he still here" Bob Green. I don't know how he wasn't canned after the Reinhart fiasco.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well, i guess that might not be strictly pertinent then. :laugh:

Biggest thing is, big, physical, defensively dominant RHD guys that are an upgrade on someone like Lindstrom, don't tend to hit the waiver wire. Every team loves to have guys like that.

Vancouver had Woo on waivers who sort of fits that "physical defensive-minded RHD" but he's probably not an upgrade on Lindstrom. They'll also very likely have at least one of Friedman or Juulsen on waivers at some point. The latter sort of fits the billing, but again...not really convinced he's an overall upgrade on someone like Lindstrom. Friedman kind of matches some of the description, but he's certainly not big.

Kovacevic is one of the only recent instances i can recall, of a big, steady, somewhat physical D hitting the waiver wire...but that doesn't happen all too often.

Now that he's more established, and they went out and actually traded a pick for him, i can't see the Devils waiving Kovacevic. Especially not with Hughes out for a while to start the year, so they're already down a rung on depth breaking camp.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad