Speculation: Potential waiver gems

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I think Ryan Suzuki could be an interesting pickup for some team. His career has been certainly stymied by injuries and he has a permanent blind spot as a result of one of those injuries, but I think he could benefit from a change of scenery.

I don’t think he’d be likely to become anything more than a decent 3rd liner, but I also think the chances of him becoming that in Carolina is next to zero. Teams seem to love taking chances on former 1st rounders. This will be the first year that Suzuki is not waivers exempt.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Ya would really rather avoid losing them. Imagine Duehr will probably be waiver bound at some point this season too. He sucked last year but he's big and fast so I could see someone picking him up.

The Flames have lost useful players on waivers for years. I don't know how many of those are considered gems, but for instance the Devils got quite a bit of mileage from DeSimone last year, Yotes (now Utah) made a good gamble in Ruzicka until it became apparent the reason we gave up was the drug related stuff.

Flames also got good mileage from guys like Greer, Pachal, Hanley etc.

I think most players that the Flames put on waivers are worth considering for many teams. But I don't think Conroy will sweat too much in quickly getting a replacement if any of them are claimed.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Conor Timmins, Alex Steeves and Matt Murray for the Leafs.

Any of these three players, and/or Nik Robertson, might also get traded instead of waived if they don't fit on the Leafs' roster.

I don't see any others with a real chance of cracking an NHL roster here.
Reeves will likely get waived, and there is a chance for Jarnkrok also if he isnt dealt (should be easy to deal though), unless nobody steps up to challenge for his spot in the lineup

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Oliver Kylington is having a poor training camp in Colorado. Gem is not the right word, but he could be cut if his poor and unaggressive play makes him unworthy of a roster spot.

Reactions: Nevins

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
In Winnipeg injuries have complicated the opening day roster. Simon Lundmark is an under the radar defenseman who just completed his ELC, he's in a battle with Haydn Fleury, and to a lesser extent Dylan Coghlan to stick on the roster. I think the Jets fan would be mad if we lost another prospective d-man to waivers, after losing Kovacevic and Chisholm already.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Maybe guys from the hawks who hit waivers
Ryan Donato, Joey Anderson, Isaak Phillips and Arvid Soderblom.

I do think Donato might be potential trade bait though. Depends on their plan for Nazar.
I dont think Isaak Phillips would pass thru or do i think Davidson will risk it. I just spotted this ; Phillips was born in Barrie. He is of Afro-Vincentian and Finnish descent: his paternal grandparents were from St. Vincent, and his mother is Finnish.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Reeves will likely get waived, and there is a chance for Jarnkrok also if he isnt dealt (should be easy to deal though), unless nobody steps up to challenge for his spot in the lineup

:laugh:

Jarnkrok waived? That'd be absolutely wild. He's a rock solid Top-9 Swiss Army Knife utility guy, on a very reasonable contract. Only conceivable reason i could see that happening, is if the Leafs want to open up some cap space to make some other sort of trade move. Holmberg being more or less the same player, but much cheaper. But even then, i think you're right, in that Jarnkrok would be easy enough to deal to someone for value - even if it's very small value.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Wasnt Brown supposed to be the Desharnais replacement?

Why would the Oilers give him 3 yrs if their plan was to keep in the minors to mentor.
A smart move IMO.. no GM will claim Brown with this much term left when waived.
Starting him in AHL does not mean 'cutting' him for the season. He would be a great first callup if Stecher and Emberson prove to be ahead of him and Oilers add another RD

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Any decent RHD potentially available?

I feel like realistically, the best RHD "available" is probably just going to be Gustav Lindstrom...who isn't even going to hit waivers, because he's still a free agent.

Which is maybe why he didn't sign a deal in the first place. This way, he kinda sorta gets to pick his landing spot. But i can't imagine there won't be a team that could use a big #6/7 RHD by the end of camp, somewhere.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Jarred Tinordi will likely get waived. Cheap contract, can be #7 defenseman. might not be the worst thing for the Oilers to grab him. But I think Emberson will add more than some expect.
The leftorium is filled on our big club. He'd probably be the LH version of Brown.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Leafs will have some guys on waivers that could be interesting to someone. Connor Timmins might get claimed with his puck abilities and being a RD but is our 8th or 9th dman and won't make the team.

On forward there will be quite a few tweeners going through waivers. I could see a scenario where someone who played a lot of NHL games for the Leafs hits waivers if the kids continue to impress.
Lol at thinking an 8th or 9th d option for the leafs will be claimed by another team.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Pretty sure thanks to Mike Sullivan's infinite ignorance the Pens will have Valtteri Puustinen on waivers.

Others - Sam Poulin would be a reclamation project, for the love of hockey I hope someone claims Emil Bemstrom. Jesse Puljujarvi could also hit waivers. He just needs to play and not be used as a 13th.

If Aho keeps up this play, he could be on waivers as well.

I do think Big Puus stays up

Pusstinen rides the bench I think

Sam Poulin - I'd take a flyer on this player. I expect him to be waived.

Maybe he doesn't get picked up because he has taken a year off because of mental health problems.
I think he has what it takes for the NHL but not everybody makes it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad