Potential Flyers fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
A caveat to that would also be where he is from. I think English football fans are in general very, very loyal. Pick a team (or don't, generally you adopt who your family supports) and you are a lifer.

For example if you asked me what EPL team I support:

Manchester City

You may assume I was a bandwagon-er... but I was born in Moss Side, went to my first Manchester City game in 1994 and was in the stands when we were in the 3rd tier. (where we averaged 30k a game... indicative of a diehard fanbase that very few teams possess.) And I still believe Georgi Kinkladze is the most talented player I have ever seen in a Manchester City shirt.

Yeah, I think if you are from Manchester and you support ManCity, that would not necessarily make you a sheik loving ***** (like I am cutting Noel Gallagher some slack and now you), but it seems a pretty good predictor of which Bundesliga team you go for so I am keen to figure out NHL correlations.

Personally I am a Werder Bremen, FC Liverpool, Pittsburgh Penguins supporter and that runs the gauntlet from bottom feeder over somewhat competitor to contender, but I like to think I am mostly about loyalty and just adore Marco Bode, Steven Gerrard and Evgeni Malkin. ;)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Yeah, I think if you are from Manchester and you support ManCity, that would not necessarily make you a sheik loving ***** (like I am cutting Noel Gallagher some slack and now you), but it seems a pretty good predictor of which Bundesliga team you go for so I am keen to figure out NHL correlations.

Personally I am a Werder Bremen, FC Liverpool, Pittsburgh Penguins supporter and that runs the gauntlet from bottom feeder over somewhat competitor to contender, but I like to think I am mostly about loyalty and just adore Marco Bode, Steven Gerrard and Evgeni Malkin. ;)

Gerrard is awesome. Love the guy.

I support Arminia Bielefeld in Germany! :laugh: My Dad lived in Stukenbrock and Detmold for like a year and a half and speaks decent German... so that is where that affiliation comes from! (and no... he was not a soldier!)

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
Gerrard is awesome. Love the guy.

I support Arminia Bielefeld in Germany! :laugh: My Dad lived in Stukenbrock and Detmold for like a year and a half and speaks decent German... so that is where that affiliation comes from! (and no... he was not a soldier!)

Well, Armenia is such a great club. It's not really jiving with ManCity for me (because it is a 3rd league club that has really great tradition and not much else), but your connections make sense.

I feel like generally ManCity is corresponding well with Bayer Leverkusen or Schalke.

The soldier thing isn't as prevelant in the post-re-unification years, I guess. If he found something to like here (even it is Armenia), that's great. :handclap:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Well, Armenia is such a great club. It's not really jiving with ManCity for me (because it is a 3rd league club that has really great tradition and not much else), but your connections make sense.

I feel like generally ManCity is corresponding well with Bayer Leverkusen or Schalke.

The soldier thing isn't as prevelant in the post-re-unification years, I guess. If he found something to like here (even it is Armenia), that's great. :handclap:

He preferred the beer, food and friends to Arminia! I actually have more of an affiliation to them than him... he used to follow the scores far more when I was younger and that was what made me like them out of the German clubs.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
He preferred the beer, food and friends to Arminia! I actually have more of an affiliation to them than him... he used to follow the scores far more when I was younger and that was what made me like them out of the German clubs.

It is way way way way way more usual to be a fan of a lower league team in Germany and Armenia actually has a great fan base. It's still not what I'd expect of a foreign fan, but all in all it is not as surprising as someone being an Exeter City F.C. fan.

Hey, whenever you come to Germany (if you come to Bremen or Hamburg give me call and I'll buy you a beer), you have a great story right there.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
It is way way way way way more usual to be a fan of a lower league team in Germany and Armenia actually has a great fan base. It's still not what I'd expect of a foreign fan, but all in all it is not as surprising as someone being an Exeter City F.C. fan.

Hey, whenever you come to Germany (if you come to Bremen or Hamburg give me call and I'll buy you a beer), you have a great story right there.

Haha. Exeter City? That is pretty crazy. I used to spend a lot of time in Germany (Dortmund, Duisburg, Dusseldorf mainly) when I lived in the Netherlands. Do love the country.

Hamburg is one of the best cities I have ever been to!

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
Haha. Exeter City? That is pretty crazy. I used to spend a lot of time in Germany (Dortmund, Duisburg, Dusseldorf mainly) when I lived in the Netherlands. Do love the country.

Hamburg is one of the best cities I have ever been to!

I prefer Bremen, but that is my home town. It is older and more charming, I think, and has a few great places, if you know where to go. Obviously Hamburg is a great city too though. I like it best for shopping, but prefer Bremen for going out and partying/drinking.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
I respectfully submit that 300,000 fans (most wearing Kings jerseys) attending the parade would beg to differ with you.

Granted it wouldn't be nearly as much as Chicago, Boston, or Philadelphia parades, but saying "nobody cares" is just plain wrong.

Since you live in LA, I invite you to attend a Kings game and see what true hockey fans are like here. Might be hard though. All seats have been sold out for the season.

300,000? That's adorable.

Evergreen

I respectfully submit that 300,000 fans (most wearing Kings jerseys) attending the parade would beg to differ with you.

Granted it wouldn't be nearly as much as Chicago, Boston, or Philadelphia parades, but saying "nobody cares" is just plain wrong.

Since you live in LA, I invite you to attend a Kings game and see what true hockey fans are like here. Might be hard though. All seats have been sold out for the season.

LOL I've been to plenty of Kings games. Also I bought tickets to the December 6 game against the Flyers for $59 each two days ago, so your point about all the tickets being sold out for the season is false.

Anyway, my point is that it is rare to find other hockey fans unless you are in a hockey rink here. There are 4 million people in LA. Having a rather average number of fans attend the Stanley Cup parade doesn't really mean a whole lot.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Strange that the OP chose Philly or LA, especially given LA's lack of an NFL team (as some of others have mentioned).

In hockey terms, you're looking at two very different histories. The Flyers were the hottest starters, in terms of Stanley Cup success, after expansion and have been a very consistent team since the 70's, but no Cup since 1975. The Kings have generally been a pretty terrible team since their inception, with a couple of bright seasons here and there... up until recently. The Kings could be in the middle of a modern NHL dynasty, though, winning Cups in 2012 and 2014. LA also has the Ducks in Anaheim, which is a fun franchise to watch and has also won a Cup recently (2007).

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Hi guys,

I'm from England and was thinking of either following the LA sports scene or the Philly sports scene for all four major sports. Im regards to Philadelphia how does each fanbase rank in terms of popularity? I'd also like to know in order to be a good Philadelphia fan what do I need to do. Also are the sites on SB such as bleeding green nation and broad street hockey good to keep up to date. Also what would you guys say makes you better fans than LA ones.
You're actually asking for advice on who to root for? Seek elsewhere and stay far away from the Flyers then. Go jump on some bandwagon. Stupidest thread ever.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
You need a high threshold for pain tolerance if you are going to try and become a fan of this team this year.

BryzsCSteak

Sep 16, 2014
Braunschweig
www.facebook.com
It's usually lots of ups and downs. However, I made the experience that once you get into following the team, there's no turning back. I got completely sucked into everything that involves the Flyers and now consider myself a diehard fan.
People here in Germany don't understand that though, at least most of 'em don't. When they're asking for your favorite team, they always expect a soccer team.

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
Hey buddy,

I'm living in the UK right now down in Reading, gotta say Philly would be a more preferable choice solely considering the time zones. The games finish late at 3 am, but thats hell of a lot better than when the LA games finish.

I find that I can watch most of the season (with lack of sleep here and there) but hey its worth it.

But yeah if you want a winner, go with LA. If you want to suffer with us, be my guest!

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
It was workday, and most people cannot get off work to attend the parade.

It was a work day here too (Phillies).

Not being overly critical. If someone is a diehard fan in an area that is less so, there is something good to say about that as well.

I'd wager cities that have a lot of transplants have a lot more variety of different fans and a lot less uniformity. Also, California is a 'chill' place to live. It isn't close to the climate that exists in Philadelphia where fans are 'dug in.'

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I was born and lived 20 minutes south of Philly for the first 18 years of my life, so being a Philly fan of all teams is genetic. I had no choice.
If you like disappointment, then Philly teams are for you. Think of being a Philly fan like being a fan of the English National soccer team. The fanbase is like that. The best team ever, until something goes wrong, and then it becomes the worst team ever. The Philly fanbase is one of the most rabid in the world, but also has some of the least patience and will turn on their own after one bad play.

The fact that LA has had a football team TWICE and lost it each time provides a microcosm of their fanbase. Go onto HF boards and ask every team about LA fans, and you'll get a similar response - fair weather. This is not to say they don't have their die-hards, but %-wise, it is extremely small.

However, regarding LA's hockey team, you will not find a better team (with potential to be great for at least another 5 years).

The Flyers on the other hand will be bad to mediocre for several years until their defense grows up (if that happens).

So if you like pain and suffering, choose the Philly. If you want glitz, glamour, and wins, go LA.

Captain Mittens*

The fact that LA has had a football team TWICE and lost it each time provides a microcosm of their fanbase. Go onto HF boards and ask every team about LA fans, and you'll get a similar response - fair weather. This is not to say they don't have their die-hards, but %-wise, it is extremely small.

There are some really bad stereotypes and misconceptions about LA and our fans but this takes the cake.
LA didn't have a football team twice and lose it both times, like Atlanta with NHL teams. LA lost both the teams in 1994 over non attendance related issues. In fact, the Rams led the NFL in attendance 11 times, most of that time in the top 5.
The Rams moved because the owners wife drown him and she wanted to move the team to St Louis because her relatives there were reeling over losing the Cardinals.
The Raiders who moved here from Oakland, moved because (similar to the Dodgers moving from Brooklyn) city government would not approve a new stadium. Oakland promised the Raiders a new stadium that still hasn't been built.

The Kings have over 100k die hard fans. That they have had for decades. http://www.hockeyattendance.com/league/nhl/2006/?sort=avg_at

despite having very long playoff droughts, the Kings attendance has been above 90% for over droughts and winning 1 (yes one)playoff round between 93 and 2012. The Kings have a long sellout steak which started before the Kings won a cup and before they had won a playoff round in over 10 years

Instead of believing and recycling old untrue stereotypes, at least research what you are claiming

Evergreen

There are some really bad stereotypes and misconceptions about LA and our fans but this takes the cake.
LA didn't have a football team twice and lose it both times, like Atlanta with NHL teams. LA lost both the teams in 1994 over non attendance related issues. In fact, the Rams led the NFL in attendance 11 times, most of that time in the top 5.
The Rams moved because the owners wife drown him and she wanted to move the team to St Louis because her relatives there were reeling over losing the Cardinals.
The Raiders who moved here from Oakland, moved because (similar to the Dodgers moving from Brooklyn) city government would not approve a new stadium. Oakland promised the Raiders a new stadium that still hasn't been built.

The Kings have over 100k die hard fans. That they have had for decades. http://www.hockeyattendance.com/league/nhl/2006/?sort=avg_at

despite having very long playoff droughts, the Kings attendance has been above 90% for over droughts and winning 1 (yes one)playoff round between 93 and 2012. The Kings have a long sellout steak which started before the Kings won a cup and before they had won a playoff round in over 10 years

Instead of believing and recycling old untrue stereotypes, at least research what you are claiming

Only selling 16,000 tickets for Kings games (90% capacity) in a city of 4 million people isn't impressive.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama

Not questioning your insight, but if LA is such a good football town, why have they not had a new team? Cleveland and Baltimore both lost teams not due to attendance issues, but they got teams again. Is the lack of promise for a new stadium the drawback? Surely, there is a way around it.

Captain Mittens*

Not questioning your insight, but if LA is such a good football town, why have they not had a new team? Cleveland and Baltimore both lost teams not due to attendance issues, but they got teams again. Is the lack of promise for a new stadium the drawback? Surely, there is a way around it.

The problem in the past was a corrupt city council. They were taking loads of money from the owners of the coliseum and blocking new projects.

The NFL hasnt helped because they make more money on the TV deal being albe to show more national in the second largest market

There have been sites ready to go for a few years now
http://www.losangelesfootballstadium.com

Ron*

Only selling 16,000 tickets for Kings games (90% capacity) in a city of 4 million people isn't impressive.

Where did you get this figure?

Capacity for Staples Center this season is 18,230. Up until this season, it has been a standard 18,118.

They have sold out their season seats for this upcoming season.

They also have well over 100 sellouts in a row (I think its much more, but don't know the true figure).

So your BS statement about selling only 90% capacity is completely without merit. And I should know. I am a STH and every game has been sold out for several years now.

Ron*

LOL I've been to plenty of Kings games. Also I bought tickets to the December 6 game against the Flyers for $59 each two days ago, so your point about all the tickets being sold out for the season is false.

Did you buy from the Kings ticket office or from a third-party seller (Stubhub, etc.). Because all season seats have been sold out. The Kings may retain a few seats (less than 100) and release them late, but you probably got them from a third-party seller.

Anyway, my point is that it is rare to find other hockey fans unless you are in a hockey rink here. There are 4 million people in LA. Having a rather average number of fans attend the Stanley Cup parade doesn't really mean a whole lot.

Don't really care what you think in regards to size of who attended. I was merely pointing out that the original poster who said only 30,000 knew what was going on was full of it. So next June, maybe we get to 400,000. And in June 2016, maybe we get to half-million.

Laugh all you want at our Stanley Cup parade numbers, but I will be celebrating with a photo op with Lord Stanley for the forseeable Junes. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad