Potential 2015-16 Boston Bruins Lineup: Forwards

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
So does Connolly. What's he shown the Bruins so far? Same goes for Hayes. Everyone wants to anoint these guys as productive top 9 guys, and they'll play there because there are few other options and they were brought in to HOPEFULLY fill those roles, , but let's not bash Kelly when there are new guys that are total unknowns.

Hayes, Connolly = Unknowns

Chris Kelly = Known

That's why we want the first two on scoring lines and Kelly on the fourth.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
So does Connolly. What's he shown the Bruins so far? Same goes for Hayes. Everyone wants to anoint these guys as productive top 9 guys, and they'll play there because there are few other options and they were brought in to HOPEFULLY fill those roles, , but let's not bash Kelly when there are new guys that are total unknowns.

Kelly has proven he is a redundant 4th liner. He has to prove he even deserves a spot in the everyday roster.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Kelly has proven he is a redundant 4th liner. He has to prove he even deserves a spot in the everyday roster.

Im afraid real nhl gm and coaches and scouts and teammates disagree with you.

You are confusing his paycheck with his ability to help a team. Its a very easy mistake to make. Kelly is still a player that cup contender teams want in their lineup

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Im afraid real nhl gm and coaches and scouts and teammates disagree with you.

You are confusing his paycheck with his ability to help a team. Its a very easy mistake to make. Kelly is still a player that cup contender teams want in their lineup

Hopefully your right so it should/will be easy to dump him off somewhere

trudatman*

equal to how much I wanted Kelly gone over the last few years is how badly I want him to stay while the known unknowns become known knowns. if the team kicks all of the ass I expect them to, he can go by the deadline. if they struggle and need his steady mediocrity for 2016-2017, too, he should come back. I expect him to leave before the end of this coming season.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Anyone think Ferlin has the potential to grab the RW spot on the 3rd/4th line?

One spot for him, Joonas and Griffith. I would think Joonas would get every chance 1st. But injuries will happen, so Ferlin is certainly going to play. The question is whether or not he or Griffith will be 1st callup if a RW is hurt.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Hopefully your right so it should/will be easy to dump him off somewhere

but then comes the issue of cap management. when a player gets overpaid by enough... it doesn't matter if its a 40 goal scorer or a number 1 dman or a 23 man on your roster... overpayment is bad

the market has clearly established that 3 mill for a third line center that doesn't score 20 goals is a normal price to pay in recent years. Edmonton did it with boyde Gordon... Calgary did it with matt stajan. sutter got it from Pittsburgh and bolland from Chicago. montreal was willing to do it with lars eller and LA with jarret stoll. so the Kelly contract at the time it was signed was fair market and if we didn't give it someone else would have

but now its questionable how many of these deals panned out. I guess bolland and sutter both actually got raises on their new deals. Arizona was willing to trade for Gordon. maybe there is still an appetite for paying a checking line center 3 mill?

where Kelly is potentially valuable to me... is if he will sign an extension at a much reduced number. his play on the ice is still valuable. its ONLY his contract that would scare me off {or most teams}

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Exactly my point.

That is no point. If you judge a player solely off of 5 games you are nuts. What did you expect a Gretzky reincarnation? :laugh:

Connolly may turn out to be a complete bust, but you can't write him off just yet. This is a make or break year for him.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Anyone think Ferlin has the potential to grab the RW spot on the 3rd/4th line?

Not this year, no. We are currently loaded up with 4th liners in Rinaldo, Kelly, Talbot and Kemppainen. Our right side is filled too.

I'm not saying Ferlin doesn't have the skill, I really enjoyed his game, even though it was a small sample size. If an injury arises he should be one of the first call ups for sure.

To summarize, he should be on the team. But it doesn't look like he'll start here.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I think all the spots on the 4th line are up for grabs. I don't see anyone as a lock at making it.

Kelly
Rinaldo
Talbot
Ferlin
Kemp

These 5 guys are probably the front runners to win the 3 starting spots on the 4th line.

- I'd like to see Kelly/Talbot/both moved out, but if none of the other 4 show they can supplant him/them at the center or left wing position, Kelly/Talbot will most likely stay.

- Rinaldo has a place on this team, but he has some work to do to be a full time roster player. I love that his hitting and pest-work/fighting can provide an emotional spark to the team but he'll also need to work on the other parts of his game to be a regular. I am rooting for him to win that center spot and see his game improve.

- I love Brian Ferlin. While players like Griffith and KoKo are more skilled and a guy like Randall is probably more polished, I think Ferlin is probably the number 1 guy from the Providence team who has a legit shot at winning a spot out of camp.

- I know nothing about Kemp since I've never seen him play, but I get a Petteri Nokelainen feel from him. Which isn't a bad thing, since I thought Noke was good in his role for the 07-08 team. I wouldn't mind him winning a spot on the roster as the spare forward. Good size and apparently comes with a solid toolbox and hockey IQ.

- In two years time, I'm rooting for a Hargrove -- Cave -- Ferlin 4th line.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think all the spots on the 4th line are up for grabs. I don't see anyone as a lock at making it.

Kelly
Rinaldo
Talbot
Ferlin
Kemp

These 5 guys are probably the front runners to win the 3 starting spots on the 4th line.

- I'd like to see Kelly/Talbot/both moved out, but if none of the other 4 show they can supplant him/them at the center or left wing position, Kelly/Talbot will most likely stay.

- Rinaldo has a place on this team, but he has some work to do to be a full time roster player. I love that his hitting and pest-work/fighting can provide an emotional spark to the team but he'll also need to work on the other parts of his game to be a regular. I am rooting for him to win that center spot and see his game improve.

- I love Brian Ferlin. While players like Griffith and KoKo are more skilled and a guy like Randall is probably more polished, I think Ferlin is probably the number 1 guy from the Providence team who has a legit shot at winning a spot out of camp.

- I know nothing about Kemp since I've never seen him play, but I get a Petteri Nokelainen feel from him. Which isn't a bad thing, since I thought Noke was good in his role for the 07-08 team. I wouldn't mind him winning a spot on the roster as the spare forward. Good size and apparently comes with a solid toolbox and hockey IQ.

- In two years time, I'm rooting for a Hargrove -- Cave -- Ferlin 4th line.

I see the fourth as being one that we`ll see plenty of "healthy scratches" and not always due to the lack of effectiveness (although that could also be a reason) but I think the B`s will be looking at using all options available. An example might be when playing a team that plays less physical, maybe a Rinaldo isn`t really needed (except the Habs, he MUST play against the Habs:))

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
Why the B's haven't sent talbot through waivers yet is mind baffling....

they could use that spot in many different ways:

Kelly-Kemp-Ferlin
ex rinaldo/Griffith

use Koko for other injuries replacements but talbot is just eating up a spot for a hungary Providence player.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad