Possible trade and roster fixes for the Wings, Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
Glendeing is naturally a winger. He's better suited to play wing.

This. Glendening playing center is just an example of his versatility. He's a smart and responsible player, can clearly fill in up the middle. But as you say, he's really a winger, both in style and experience.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Jagr was a total pile in last years playoffs. He would die with all the skating in Babcock's system. Horrible fit.

Can we stop making excuses to not acquire Jaromir Jagr? This is getting ridiculous. I told you all he'd be good, and guess what? He's good. He's putting up points. He's a darn good offensive player. We need offense. Perfect match. No buts about it.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
There is no rhyme or reason to saying no to Jagr. It's like turning down $1 million because the guy who offered it to you smacked your wife once.

He'll cost a 1st rounder? There's no guarantee he'll re-sign? He's one dimensional? Isn't guaranteed top line minutes here? We need to improve our defense more than our forwards? Well have roughly 29 forwards if we get healthy?

Gee, that was hard.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
There is no rhyme or reason to saying no to Jagr. It's like turning down $1 million because the guy who offered it to you smacked your wife once.

The price to pick him up would likly be a 1st++ considering that NJ are still in the playoff race & IIRC Lou has never once been a seller at the deadline so the price would be huge.

Jagr would be a rental in every sense of it. He won't turn us into a contender, he won't re-sign for a cheap contract and he doesn't even fill a need for us. We've done well scoring considering our injuries and once we have everyone back or as close to everyone as we can we'll get an uptick in goal scoring.

If Holland makes a trade for a rental this season he may finally have lost it. Unless the piece is going to be a key cog with us for 2/3+ seasons there's no point to make the trade.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
This. Glendening playing center is just an example of his versatility. He's a smart and responsible player, can clearly fill in up the middle. But as you say, he's really a winger, both in style and experience.

Luke's better suited playing on the 3rd line in Grand Rapids.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
if he makes a trade for a rental forward at the expense of any pick or any prospect that is not under 30 and who we dont plan to resign then he has lost it

we need to stregthen our defence first and get younger second everything else would be a mistake

Last edited:

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Love Jagr but no need for him imo. Offense will not be this teams problem. If they are healthy they have plenty of scoring options. If any trade is to be made it should be for a good defensive D-man. A good two-way D-man would be even better. I really like Andy Greene but doesn't seem like the Devils have any interest in moving him.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Eh, I wouldn't have a problem with a rental for the blueline if the price is right. Anything from a 2nd to a 4th I wouldn't have a problem with if it is someone we actually put on the ice. In other words, an upgrade on Kindl/Lashoff.

I'd only be against a move that saw us trade a lot of assets for a rental or where we brought in someone like the Cory Cross trade from awhile back.

And, yeah, I know we could just bring up a kid from GR, but I doubt that happens. And with the number of kids we may already have playing, it's not a move that bothers me a ton.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
He'll cost a 1st rounder? There's no guarantee he'll re-sign? He's one dimensional? Isn't guaranteed top line minutes here? We need to improve our defense more than our forwards? Well have roughly 29 forwards if we get healthy?

Gee, that was hard.

He's a really good offensive player? He could help us win the cup? He could offer his wealth of experience to the young players? Rentals never cost a whole lot? You can never have too many good forwards? I'm just trying to point out that passing up on Jagr is stupid regardless of the excuse, even if it's unlikely?

Yeah, makes every sense in the world to acquire Jagr if he was available. No excuses. You don't pass up on top six talents.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
No thanks to Jagr, unless he came real cheap. Real, real cheap. I mean.... 1 goal in his last 33 playoff games, for a guy who will be 42 in a number of hours.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
He's a really good offensive player? He could help us win the cup? He could offer his wealth of experience to the young players? Rentals never cost a whole lot? You can never have too many good forwards? I'm just trying to point out that passing up on Jagr is stupid regardless of the excuse, even if it's unlikely?

Yeah, makes every sense in the world to acquire Jagr if he was available. No excuses. You don't pass up on top six talents.

dont we already have enough experience in our lineup?

if we're going to expel assets why not let it be for someone who can help us long term, isnt that the mode we're in right now anyhow?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
dont we already have enough experience in our lineup?

if we're going to expel assets why not let it be for someone who can help us long term, isnt that the mode we're in right now anyhow?

I think we're in the mode of winning hockey games. Moves made still have to weigh the present and future good for the club, but I don't think picking up a rental upgrade is necessarily a bad thing in and of itself. Especially with the questionable health of Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Franzen for the rest of the season.

I know one reaction to their injuries is that we should just tank the season, but even with them missing chunks of the remained of the season I still don't see us free falling in the standings. If we can grab some cheap help that pushes us into the playoffs, I think that experience will be more beneficial for guys like Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, etc. than moderately improving our draft position.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Any idea on potential deadline "expiring" defensemen? Islanders, Sabres, Flames and Oilers are really the only teams out. I suppose Tom Gilbert is a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad