Value of: PLD to Washington

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
I really don’t mean to be a smart@$, but who would offer anything of value for PLD right now? The more his career moves along, the more he looks like a cancer that makes teams generally worse. Hes had his moments, but IMO he’s not even close to worth it.

He certainly has talent so maybe somebody will want to take a chance on him, but at this point I would think that team would just be LAK trying to maximize the good and minimize the bad.

I certainly wouldn’t want him on my team.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Kings fans will jump to take any deal that involves getting rid of PLD for anything less than two 1sts. That’s two 1sts coming from the Kings as payment for taking that contract. I don’t think you realize just how much negative value this player has right now.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
PLD contract is so negative, it landed in hell and the Devil hugged it. :dunno:

I'm suing PLD for emotion distress and adandoman. I was one of his fans and now, emotionally traumatized by his lazy play.

broc

Dec 20, 2010
PLD has eXtreme negative value.

nobody is taking that contract unless they are paid appropriately to do so

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014
What contracts do they have to do it? Kuznetsov and oshie are ufa after next season.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Considering this is the only year that LA can trade PLD before his 7-year NMC kicks in… I think they might be motivated to sell at his lowest value.

Even if they have to retain significantly. It’s better than keeping him on the roster, and it’s better than a buyout at twice the length.

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
If it weren't for that contract, I'd take a flyer just to see the Torts meltdown.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Considering this is the only year that LA can trade PLD before his 7-year NMC kicks in… I think they might be motivated to sell at his lowest value.

Even if they have to retain significantly. It’s better than keeping him on the roster, and it’s better than a buyout at twice the length.
A trade isn't better than a buy out. Max retention in a trade is over 4 million/year for the cap. There are only 3 years of a buyout that reach 3 million and none reach 4 million for cap purposes. Most are less than 2 million including the first two years when Kopitar is still under contract. This is big for LA. The buyout years that extend past the 8 year contract only have a cap hit of 1.1 million. A buy out costs ownership less real money than max retention 27.3 vs 29 million. A buyout does not require trading players, prospects, and/or picks. The only positive of a trade is the possibility of carrying an extra player on a league minimum contract starting in the 31-32 season, assuming the league minimum does not exceed 1.1 million by then.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

If you look at the buyout it's somehow not that bad. Years 3 to 7 are going to be a bit annoying but should be something the team can deal with especially as the cap goes up.

It's not an ideal situation at all but a buyout is probably the move here unless some team drunkenly trades for him. The gms I would expect that from are no longer in the league

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
The team is not a PLD away from competing and the assets required to be move to get him further push them back in rebuilding. Realistically, Ovie's best chance of being competitive in his era heavily falls on his own shoulders, and no amount of trades will change that. If he's able to play like he did the previous two years then the team will be able to put a wild card competitive roster around him using their cap space and young talent in the pipeline. If he plays like he's playing now, then he's more of an anchor and I don't see why you'd move assets to try and bring more talent in.

I don't think they have another Cup run in them during his career, but I think assembling a young roster via draft/prospects/young FA signings could get them to maybe one last fun post season run. But let's be clear, they shouldn't make trades to get guys with term or hefty deals to make a pointless playoff run next year. That's the last thing this team needs.

I also think given the position they're in right now with Backstrom on LTIR likely until it expires, Kuznetsov playing inconsistent since 2018 and now in the player program, and the annual bloated list of hefty contracts on our IR. This organization needs another risky and expensive contract with term like I need a bullet in the head.

Reactions: Misery74

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Kings fans will jump to take any deal that involves getting rid of PLD for anything less than two 1sts. That’s two 1sts coming from the Kings as payment for taking that contract. I don’t think you realize just how much negative value this player has right now.
What a low IQ take. His contract isn't good, but if they really want they can buy him out this summer at the reduced rate and it ain't that bad. Certainly less bad than paying an absurd price in draft picks

How about something around Dowd and Kaliyev instead?
I'm sure the Caps would love that

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The buyout isn't bad for his contract. Probably will see that happen instead.
He has $11.5 mill remaining in Signing bonuses of the $59 mill due to him still. $47.5 mill is what LA ends up buying out cash wise at 1/3. I did look it up and there would be 3 seasons where the dead cap is like $3.8 mill which is sandwiched in between 2 seasons of $2.5 and $2.8 mill. All other years (the remaining 9), would be under $2 mill.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
DeepSouth of PNW
The buyout isn't bad for his contract. Probably will see that happen instead.
I was thinking the same thing. Problem being I don't see a reality, if Blake is still GM, of a buyout. If it came to that I think that would be Blake's last act as GM. So I doubt he would pull the trigger that would make him a dead GM walking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad