Playoffs Watch

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
On paper the Caps could go toe to toe with the West, but they're the Caps. The next time they manage not to choke in the playoffs will be the first.

Are they the 97 Wings, or the 00 Blues? Or the Caps from every year from 07-13?

Certainly feels like they're the Caps 2.0 at least. Pens firing on all cylinders offensively is a tough out though, they can get the games played on their terms. Any other loss before the finals is most likely a choke. Finals vs CHI or LA with home ice advantage is probably close to 50/50. Versus any other Western team I'd hold them as favorites.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Just watched the pregame show on NBCSN. JR RodeoKlown just said '...and its bad for the league if BOS doesn't make the playoffs...'

From all of Canada - :doh:

JR is a Massachusetts boy.... Not really all that surprising. Really of the four teams competing for that last spot it is bad for the league if anybody but NYI bows out and they seem the most unlikely at least right now, though they are fading hard as well.

I get the whole Canada is not in thing. But losing Boston, Detroit or Philly is not good for the league either.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
JR is a Massachusetts boy.... Not really all that surprising. Really of the four teams competing for that last spot it is bad for the league if anybody but NYI bows out and they seem the most unlikely at least right now, though they are fading hard as well.

I get the whole Canada is not in thing. But losing Boston, Detroit or Philly is not good for the league either.

Plenty of good, big market teams in the playoffs. Three California teams, 2 Florida teams, Dallas and Nashville for the southern market. STL and CHI for the midwest. Rangers and either Boston or Philly or NYI for the East Coast. All the big stars, Ovechkin, Crosby, Kane. I don't think the league could have asked for more.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Yeah good day for the Wings, Hawks 6-4 over the Bruins and the Penguins 6-2 over the Flyers let's keep it up Detroit and Philly Wednesday and Carolina and Boston as well Detroit controls their own fate now.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Just watched the pregame show on NBCSN. JR RodeoKlown just said '...and its bad for the league if BOS doesn't make the playoffs...'

From all of Canada - :doh:

I liked JR the player but as a broadcaster he trys to hard to be controversial and says a lot of dumb things

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
NBCSN obviously has a bias for Pittsburgh, Chicago and Boston, so it's normal for JR to want BOS to make it, but boy oh boy, it's goingt to be an interesting week.

The next two games especially will need some form of an adult beverage and/or antiacids.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
JR is probably still mad Bob Clarke convinced him that the Flyers had better goaltending than Detroit in the offseason heading into 2001-02.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Just win against Boston and we should probably be good. Getting a point against philly and nyr

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Next big game: Bruins/Hurricanes

If Boston goes down to the Hurricanes it would put them on the absolute brink.

One thing I see in the wings favor is guys like Nyquist/Tatar who have under-performed (a little bit) this year I feel are really trying to show their worth down the stretch. I have a feeling they will come through big in at least one of these last final 3 games.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Basically we need two out of the next three plain and simple. A win against Boston is a must, hopefully they find a way to shut Philly down. Having three days off should help.

TheWestWing

Nov 22, 2006
Valley of the Sun

Sorry but I don't get what's bad for the league. Are you talking potential TV ratings which they could use as leverage when negotiating a new US TV contract (Canada rights locked up for a er, 'few' years)?
BOS is like the 8th market and DET 11th tho honestly I'd think DET may get a tad more eyeballs than BOS.

So other than the potential to make more money by allegedly getting higher ratings, what is bad for the league?

NumberFive

Too much negativity.
Mar 27, 2007
It's a known fact (and nothing new, I might add) that the US market has an advantage over the Canadian market in terms of the ability of getting (and keeping) quality players and teams. There's just more money to be had stateside. I personally would like to see Canadian markets get a better subsidy from the NHL to level the playing field, but that's just me being romantic.

A lot of people see a subsidy as trying to artificially create a market where there isn't one, potentially becoming a failed financial effort: if there's sufficient demand, then the price of brand merchandise (including tickets) should increase, thereby generating more workable revenue, and landing better players. Love of the historical birthplace of the sport alone isn't going to do it.

Hard to argue against this, really. Canadian teams just have it that much harder in this economic day and age to field a successful team.

Oh, and to keep this on-topic...Wings really do need to win all three. I don't trust BOS or PHI to go away quietly, and going out on a winning streak would provide good momentum and morale for the first round.

Last edited:

NumberFive

Too much negativity.
Mar 27, 2007
Here's some wishful thinking: Stamkos out 1-3 months with a blood clot. Bolts, despondent and directionless, go winless their last four games. Wings pull off the miracle, beat Boston, Philly, AND the Rangers, to finish SECOND in the Atlantic division.

Hey...I can dream........ :laugh:

redwings8831

Jan 16, 2009
Here's some wishful thinking: Stamkos out 1-3 months with a blood clot. Bolts, despondent and directionless, go winless their last four games. Wings pull off the miracle, beat Boston, Philly, AND the Rangers, to finish SECOND in the Atlantic division.

Hey...I can dream........ :laugh:

Panthers also lose out and we win the division ...

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
I cant wait for the only reason we made it was because Boston tanked comments.
Any rate whats up with bishop he looks horrible. The last goal was just bad. one way or the other no 3 point games.

Lgw

Feb 4, 2016
It's a known fact (and nothing new, I might add) that the US market has an advantage over the Canadian market in terms of the ability of getting (and keeping) quality players and teams. There's just more money to be had stateside. I personally would like to see Canadian markets get a better subsidy from the NHL to level the playing field, but that's just me being romantic.

A lot of people see a subsidy as trying to artificially create a market where there isn't one, potentially becoming a failed financial effort: if there's sufficient demand, then the price of brand merchandise (including tickets) should increase, thereby generating more workable revenue, and landing better players. Love of the historical birthplace of the sport alone isn't going to do it.

Hard to argue against this, really. Canadian teams just have it that much harder in this economic day and age to field a successful team.

Oh, and to keep this on-topic...Wings really do need to win all three. I don't trust BOS or PHI to go away quietly, and going out on a winning streak would provide good momentum and morale for the first round.

I am a Canadian and my sister is now an American and the taxes up here suck, the cost of living sucks and the temperature sucks.

In Winnipeg there is way more wings jerseys than Bruins jerseys in the crowd. Tons of die hard red wings fans up here. Thank number 19 for that.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I cant wait for the only reason we made it was because Boston tanked comments.
Any rate whats up with bishop he looks horrible. The last goal was just bad. one way or the other no 3 point games.

Boston is an average team like us that was riding a streak. IMO, they're a two line team.

And I've always said Bishop wouldn't be anything without his size. And I still stand by that statement.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
By my guestimation the Wings have a %50 chance of facing Tampa in the 1st round~%80 once the Hurricanes blow out the Bruins tomorrow

I don't think Boston will lose tomorrow they have to much to play for and Carolina has nothing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad