Playing with glasses

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
I've been learning to skate for the past few months, and while I don't think I'm ready to jump in and pick up equipment yet to play this fall, I am starting to think about that direction, reading reviews browsing the hockey store etc.

The question I have is how to best handle glasses. I have essentially craters and ripples in one of my corneas, can't get contacts for it, can't get it lasik'd, and just trying to figure out what my options are.

I always figured myself as a full cage guy, I'm past the age where I'm worried about "Cool" and more worried about not making my mugg uglier than it is, but as I've never worn one didn't know how much of a trouble would it be to wipe my glasses of wearing one. Should I look at visors, should I get sport-goggles or are regular glasses ok?

I haven't had any issues with fogging, but haven't been wearing a helmet, haven't been playing at 100% and have only skated so far in the summer in rinks where I'm comfortable in a t-shirt, so I don't really know what it'll be like in the winter.

Just looking for any guide or direction, things to look out for, or what options to consider.

Thanks.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
I have Flexon frames for my glasses and a full cage helmet. For my level of play they're more than adequate. If I ever make it back to a competitive level (I have this season and next season to take a stab at university hockey) I would go for sports goggles.

I'm in a similar situation as you where both contacts and laser are not options.

Iron

Nov 21, 2006
Before I got contacts I just wore my regular glasses under a cage. It worked fine, no fogging ever. Personally I wouldn't get a visor cause if your glasses are fogging up there's a chance your visor will too and then you've got two things to try and keep clear, especially if you are thinking of ever being on an outdoor rink.

FootKnight

This ****ing team
May 28, 2007
When I wore glasses (got PRK 2 months ago), I just went without glasses since they wouldn't fit under my helmet. My eyes were 20/70 right 20/200 left. I'd get sports goggles if I was you, my play significantly improved after my PRK, when everything wasn't blurry.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
lol@ nipples on your eye. i guess its not really that funny.

if you're going to be playing shifts you'd have plenty of time to wipe off your glasses, no? and how much would they need to be wiped off anyway? if your glasses fog up a lot, you can use anti-fogging liquid. hell of a lot cheaper than buying prescription sport goggles.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
I've found that helmets like Bauer 5500, 9500, 8500 are better for playing with glasses because the dual layers of foam don't press as hard on the temples.

Best options are contacts or sport goggles.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I wear glasses all the time, it's just my regular pair. The only thing that you want is I think it's called polycarbonate lenses. It's just shatter proof so they won't mess up your eyes even more if you get hit awkwardly. I wear a full face cage and never really had a problem with them except for when I buy a new helmet. I have a big head and unfortunately most helmets don't fit properly so it takes a couple weeks to morph to the size of my head and then the glasses fit in perfectly fine.

As for fogging, they'll fog up only on the bench which kind of sucks when watching the game. Once you hop on the ice and take a couple strides, they'll clear up right away. I guess you can try that de-fogger stuff but never thought it was bad enough to try it.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I wear glasses all the time, it's just my regular pair. The only thing that you want is I think it's called polycarbonate lenses. It's just shatter proof so they won't mess up your eyes even more if you get hit awkwardly. I wear a full face cage and never really had a problem with them except for when I buy a new helmet. I have a big head and unfortunately most helmets don't fit properly so it takes a couple weeks to morph to the size of my head and then the glasses fit in perfectly fine.

As for fogging, they'll fog up only on the bench which kind of sucks when watching the game. Once you hop on the ice and take a couple strides, they'll clear up right away. I guess you can try that de-fogger stuff but never thought it was bad enough to try it.

lol everything between us is the same, but mine don't fog up on the bench, except when i unstrap my cage

I wear a RBK 4K, which has a double foam layer that also serves to cushion the glasses so they dont wobble

the only problems i have ahd were that when i sweat, the glasses slide down my nose, so i just took some pliers and adjusted the nose pieces

Pedagogue

May 31, 2009
Great thread. I've been wearing glasses since I was 7 years old and it sucks. I too can't get laser surgery and have a condition known as keratoconus (steep cone shaped cornea) in my right eye . I currently just use a soft contact in my left eye when I play. I tried the sports googles and those actually fogged up more than my glasses. I hate having to play around with equipment when I am on the bench. As many have stated once you start skating a bit the fogging subsides. However, for sweat issues I would recommend that you purchase an under armour skull cap ( it works great). The skull cap keeps the sweat from dripping in your eyes. For those that wear glassses when you play it also depends on the style of glasses that you have as some glasses do not sit correctly on your face once the helmet is on. Those with 20/20 vision who are athletes do not know how lucky they are!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->