OT: Player origins thread

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Since this is pretty much it for the season, thought it might be interesting to post the odd pic while traveling like this one. Some of these players come from the smallest little places in the middle of nowhere, that don't even have arenas anymore.

40c at time of photo ha ha

Post your obscure or not obscure player signs/photos.... Oilers are extra points. Except Kevin Lowe.

Count down to next season.

20210702_141605.jpg

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Nobody playing?

This is one of the most beautiful commemorations of any player and its local, and I bet vast majority of people have never seen it. Stony Plain ftr.

WordsPics1-1200x675.jpg

ps Bryan Trottier should get more respect. That sign and planter are horrid lol. Its like getting an old rotten bench and your epitaph placard on it.

Last edited:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
No sign but a wee story about origins.

My brother was very good friends with Phil Russell who lived just down the street from us. (South side Edmonton) Right next door to the Russells was a good friend of another one of my brothers, This friend had a son who played (still plays) in the CFL.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Foam Lake, Sask
Bernie Federko et al
Hockey%20Heroes.jpg

St. Albert, AB
Jarome Iginla
not pictured: Troy Murray, and Mess have arenas & a part of St. Albert Trail is renamed Mark Messier Trail (Highway 2)
cityhighlights-jaromeiginlaarena-img1.jpg

Cologne, NRW, Germany
Waiting on the Draisaitl arena, street, and signage... will keep u updated.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Foam Lake, Sask
Bernie Federko et al
Hockey%20Heroes.jpg

St. Albert, AB
Jarome Iginla
not pictured: Troy Murray, and Mess have arenas & a part of St. Albert Trail is renamed Mark Messier Trail (Highway 2)

Cologne, NRW, Germany
I've been through Foam Lake many times but didn't realize they had this signage. Cool.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Foam Lake, Sask
Bernie Federko et al
Hockey%20Heroes.jpg

St. Albert, AB
Jarome Iginla

Cologne, NRW, Germany

According to the Foam Lake site, the 4 players (in order) are Ted Hargreaves, Dennis Polonich, Bernie Federko and Pat Elyniuk.

Hockey Heroes - Town of Foam Lake

Reactions: BlackDogg

CageRage

Aug 15, 2009
I was doing some work near Hanna, AB. The lady that owned the farm pointed to a little farmhouse on a hill and said that was where Lanny McDonald grew up.

Reactions: oilers'72

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
I've been through Foam Lake many times but didn't realize they had this signage. Cool.
Ripped by on the Yellow Head?

I thought there used to be a Federko Sign by the town sign, but upon Googling found those images.
Personally haven't been since ~2006, so now 15 years!

Going back to St. Albert I know there is a kind of Wall of Fame in Servus Place (home of Messier and Troy Murray arenas). If anyone has a more complete set of pictures on this please post!

Here is a cool one: Joseph Benoit a hockey star, WW2 service man, and the first Métis to make the NHL
Plaque on this wall in Servus Place Go Auto arena:
Benoit-plaque.jpg

He has a little foot bridge in the city:
Benoit-Bridge.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad