Player Discussion: Ronalds Kenins

Status
Not open for further replies.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I always felt double plural's physical play was the exception not the rule. He isn't overly gritty he just decided to play that style when he was called up. I think we got excited because we had a player that actually threw hits, unlike the majority of this small, weak, timid, soft team. I do feel he's worthy of a 2-way contract though so it's disappointing we're letting him walk.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
People with brains make good scouts. No doubt MS is a better pro scout than JB. He proves this regularly. So does JB, FFS.

Kenins is just another guy the Canucks screwed up. They are legion. It's noticeable and obviously well known in the hockey community.

This has to be a sarcastic post right?

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
a0iXOhC.jpg

I barely knew thee.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
It's really unfortunate and it makes no sense why they gave up on him so fast. Giving up on a 25 year old that showed some bottom six promise wasn't good enough, I guess, or it just threatened Granlund's existence too much.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It's really unfortunate and it makes no sense why they gave up on him so fast. Giving up on a 25 year old that showed some bottom six promise wasn't good enough, I guess, or it just threatened Granlund's existence too much.

Just because it makes no sense to you doesn't mean it doesn't make sense.

Kenins wasn't competing with Granlund. Etem and Gaunce would be more appropriate. Fact is Kenins didn't show much last season and remains defensively suspect. Did he deserve a one way contract after last season? No. People who are up in arms over the Canucks not re-signing Kenins seem to forget that he was a one way contract last season, was a group 5 UFA this summer, and reportedly didn't want to be back. He decided to go back to Switzerland. Did he not get a two-way offer from another NHL team? Marc Crawford was high on him and now he's in Ottawa. Can't he have pulled the strings and get him a one year two-way deal? What about Eric Crawford in Montreal? Maybe Kenins wasn't interested in playing in the AHL, he would rather play in Switzerland. At the end of the day, this isn't some highly regarded prospect with lots of developmental room.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver

Kenins wasn't competing with Granlund. Etem and Gaunce would be more appropriate. Fact is Kenins didn't show much last season and remains defensively suspect. Did he deserve a one way contract after last season? No. People who are up in arms over the Canucks not re-signing Kenins seem to forget that he was a one way contract last season, was a group 5 UFA this summer, and reportedly didn't want to be back. He decided to go back to Switzerland. Did he not get a two-way offer from another NHL team? Marc Crawford was high on him and now he's in Ottawa. Can't he have pulled the strings and get him a one year two-way deal? What about Eric Crawford in Montreal? Maybe Kenins wasn't interested in playing in the AHL, he would rather play in Switzerland. At the end of the day, this isn't some highly regarded prospect with lots of developmental room.

You see a lot of this, if you take notice.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Whether not bringing back kennins is the right choice reminds to be seen, but I'm sad to see him leave the organisation. He was one of the few exciting elements on a team that is becoming increasingly boring to watch. His first few games of 2014-15 really made an impression on me, I really thought he'd be a hansen-type quality 3rd liner.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Yeah. I think there's a tendency to forget that when it comes to UFAs, it's a two-way street.

I think it's a bit telling, that Kenins deal in Switzerland is reportedly a 3-year thing. That's not a guy who is thinking he's still going to take a run at an NHL job somewhere in the near future. It seems like a guy who knew he'd be spending time in the next few years bouncing between the AHL and NHL at best, and opted for the stability of a comfy situation back in Switzerland instead. :dunno:

That's obviously in addition to the club side of the story, where...you can make excuses for him and they may well have some validity, but ultimately he failed to seize the opportunity he earned himself with his one little stretch of really promising play at the end of 2014-15. Fringe roster spots in the NHL are extremely competitive - have to take advantage of opportunities when they come, and he didn't. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad