GDT: Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Chicago Blackhawks 9/23/13

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I actually think NHL goal scorers will pick Zatkoff apart. I didn't love his game tonight at all.

You're probably right. But he at least seems pretty sound, for the most part. He made a few saves tonight that were 100% the result of simply being in good position. Which is refreshing and rather novel to watch.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Zatkoff seemed to overcommitt and flop around a lot. Tha said he kept the puck out for the most part and was pretty solid in the shoot out.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
It's 1 pre-season game vs an AHL team.

Jesus people.

With the lackluster play of the Pens, he faced a ton of good scoring chances tonight and kept the Hawks at 2 goals. Made a huge save during the 4 on 3 in OT.

He finds the puck better than Fleury and is a better stick handler, decision maker when playing the puck than Fleury.

This is more of a testament to how bad of a goaltender Fleury is right now, i guess.

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
Zatkoff seemed to overcommitt and flop around a lot. Tha said he kept the puck out for the most part and was pretty solid in the shoot out.

He plays quite aggressive, I'm not sure that meshes with our defense.
That said, he was under a lot of pressure tonight and did not score on himself. So there's that.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Couple of things:

Zatkoff is our #1 goaltender until her falters.
Jeffrey is grouped in with the many forwards we don't need on this team.
Zolneicyk deserves to stick with the big club.

Zatkoff's our number 2 goalie until either TV comes back or GMRS picks up a more experienced pro. Everyone remembers Fleury *****ing the bed in the playoffs. Zatkoff's playoffs were even worse at the AHL level.

Zol certainly brings more to the table than Glass, but I would be mildly surprised if he started the season with the big club.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I admittedly didn't watch more than 3 minutes of the third period. But Zatkoff was under a lot of pressure and I assume didn't score on himself en route to a meltdown. If he's willing to put the work in and correct his weaknesses, something I don't think Fleury will do, then I'll be happy. If he has playoff issues then they've got to handle that now, not let everyone ignore it until it's too late.

If he can get close to Fleury on average, then things will get interesting in the long run beyond this season. I really think MAF is going to be **** this season though.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
You're probably right. But he at least seems pretty sound, for the most part. He made a few saves tonight that were 100% the result of simply being in good position. Which is refreshing and rather novel to watch.

First ever game though...bound to be some jitters.

Not like he's a 10 year NHL vet flopping around out there. Ahem.

You know what... he didn't score on himself..... that's for damn certain. :laugh:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Zatkoff had a few jitters early but had a mostly solid night. Stopping the Ice Hogs' shots isn't quite the same as stopping those of an NHL team, though.

Maata made his first mistake, but otherwise showed once again why there's no point in sending him back to juniors. He's beyond that level. Give him ten games. If he still looks great, give him 80.

Letang made one Hell of a risky read on that first goal, but, hey, it worked. His second goal is more the kind I'd prefer to see from him.

Bortuzzo was solid.

I didn't see a lot positive from anyone else.

Lot of people are praising Zolbgbosgjjb, but I think that's a matter of seeing that he's working hard and not paying close enough attention to what he's working toward. He hustles, but does at least one moronic thing per shift, usually involving deliberate passes to phantom teammates.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Lot of people are praising Zolbgbosgjjb, but I think that's a matter of seeing that he's working hard and not paying close enough attention to what he's working toward. He hustles, but does at least one moronic thing per shift, usually involving deliberate passes to phantom teammates.

If I'm comparing him to Glass he's an improvement. His effort replacing Glass' effortlessness. A stupid play per shift replacing completely useless.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If I'm comparing him to Glass he's an improvement. His effort replacing Glass' effortlessness. A stupid play per shift replacing completely useless.

I prefer Sill to both of them.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

That I won't argue. But Sill/Kobasew aren't guaranteed roster spots and they've been better than all of Glass, Adams and Scrabble

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Kobasew deserves a spot over D'Agostini. Especially if he's willing to sign for league minimum. Sill over Glass.

Dupes hasn't had a very good preseason, but then again neither has Sid. I'm sure DB will give that line a long time before any changes are made, but #19 sure would look nice next to #87. And with Juice looking very comfortable with Malkin and Neal, we could be pretty set up front. Dupes and Kobasew flanking Sutter would be a monster 3rd line.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I prefer Sill to both of them.

Agreed, but I'd take Zolnierczyk over Glass. I also just want to conquer his name.
Sill>Zolnierczyk>Adams>Glass

That I won't argue. But Sill/Kobasew aren't guaranteed roster spots and they've been better than all of Glass, Adams and Scrabble

That's sadly accurate.

Kobasew - Sutter - Dupuis
Sill - Vitale - Jeffrey
Zolnierczyk/Adams

:cry::cry::cry: I want...:cry:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Oh and Z outplayed Glass ONCE again. How is Glass going to get a roster spot? Even Vitale is outshining him by miles on the PK.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
How is Glass going to get a roster spot?

a785ac371d95d3ca107196ef7fb2f862.jpg

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I actually think NHL goal scorers will pick Zatkoff apart. I didn't love his game tonight at all.

I'd give him some time before you write him off, the more comfortable he gets, the more time he has with the new goaltending coach while getting NHL experience, the better idea of what we have with Zatkoff we'll get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad