Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread|8 Days - TDL Being "Center" of Attention - PART II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Pettersson for Oleksiak,2nd makes too much sense. Great partner for Marino and we can use that 2nd for upgrading the top six.

I could see this as a win for both sides and i Petts doing well in Dallas long term. It makes sense to me.

Should we dare propose it on the MF? Titled Marcus does Dallas

Reactions: ownal

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
His poor season is the reason he's likely available for such a relatively cheap price, though. If he was producing like he normally does, he's probably going to cost way more than the Pens can afford. With his slump, his price tag is probably something the Pens can manage.

Teams seem to move on from this guy pretty easily. The trade price I think would to be very little. Why not just claim Gusev?

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Teams seem to move on from this guy pretty easily. The trade price I think would to be very little. Why not just claim Gusev?

I guess because the wise person I blocked stated we don't have the cap space to add any top 6 and no way to make room.:naughty:. I am just trying to save you. Take the lifeline well you can.:laugh:

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Yes. Devils are actually one of the better 5v5 teams and have the same speed as the Penguins. If he fails there, he will fail here.
He didn't fail last year with the most 5v5 points on his team and only 1 point behind Palmieri from being the top point getter. Maybe he doesn't fit but for free it sure would be nice to try him with Malkin and Kapanen for a few weeks. If he doesn't work out send him to the taxi squad. He doesn't hurt next year because he is a UFA.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
He didn't fail last year with the most 5v5 points on his team and only 1 point behind Palmieri from being the top point getter. Maybe he doesn't fit but for free it sure would be nice to try him with Malkin and Kapanen for a few weeks. If he doesn't work out send him to the taxi squad. He doesn't hurt next year because he is a UFA.

What cap though? If we could get a third team to retain 50% for like a 6th I'd be happy.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Another one that likes to brag about his special block list.

Actually I only brought that up because someone else did and posted about what someone said that I had blocked. I never mentioned his name. Sorry you are so sensitive all try and be nice.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
What cap though?

Heck with this team we most likely can always IR someone. How many games have we had the full team intact? Plenty of ways to circumvent the cap. If everyone got healthy then decide who moves to the taxi squad. It would be Gusev if he didn't work out and if he did play well with Malkin and Kapanen then decide who else gets taxi squad sat. Maybe Pettersson for POJ? All hypothetical because he won't get claimed.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Heck with this team we most likely can always IR someone. How many games have we had the full team intact? Plenty of ways to circumvent the cap. If everyone got healthy then decide who moves to the taxi squad. It would be Gusev if he didn't work out and if he did play well with Malkin and Kapanen then decide who else gets taxi squad sat. Maybe Pettersson for POJ? All hypothetical because he won't get claimed.

Owners are cheapskates. Internal cap had to be at 75 million real money. I don't see us taking on that extra salary with cap tricks this year.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Owners are cheapskates. Internal cap had to be at 75 million real money. I don't see us taking on that extra salary with cap tricks this year.

Well they did say they would add at the deadline if they thought the team could contend. So we shall see. I will be very interested to see what the new management adds if at all. I think ownership would be willing to add now.

Reactions: ownal

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Tanev activated

Posted in the GDT but perhaps more appropriate here:

1. Pretty clear GOAT is placeholding for Teddy. No surprise.

2. It's my understanding that they want Zucker to anchor his own line and, absent a surprise addition (read: not a center or a C/W a la Bennett), McCann is slotted for L2 LW.

These things can change, but I suppose GOAT centers Zucker and EROD if there's no deadline addition.. If it's an impact LW, then that guy goes on L2 and Zucker-McCann-EROD is a line.

BUT, right now it sounds like the most likely scenario is adding a pure center OR a swing C/W like Bennett who centers Zucker and EROD and McCann goes with Geno and Kapanen.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

2. It's my understanding that they want Zucker to anchor his own line and, absent a surprise addition (read: not a center or a C/W a la Bennett), McCann is slotted for L2 LW.

These things can change, but I suppose GOAT centers Zucker and EROD if there's no deadline addition.. If it's an impact LW, then that guy goes on L2 and Zucker-McCann-EROD is a line.

BUT, right now it sounds like the most likely scenario is adding a pure center OR a swing C/W like Bennett who centers Zucker and EROD and McCann goes with Geno and Kapanen.
what's up with cappy.

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
Placing Petterson on the taxi squad wouldn't free up much cap space though, he would still cary a three mil cap hit, we can only bury one mil, and if you brought up POJ to replace him, we'd be pretty much back to scratch..

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Good to see there was a recognition that Zucker - Geno blows

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Good to see there was a recognition that Zucker - Geno blows

These things can change and I'm not sure there isn't a school of thought that the duo kind of had the deck stacked (no crowds, Geno's legs) against them. I think it's more about recognizing how good McCann was with Geno and Kappy and that Zucker is better utilized anchoring his own line than as a third wheel.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My big concern with Zucker "anchoring his own line" is that you probably need a decent playmaking center for Zucker to be at his maximum effectiveness, and I'm highly skeptical they can acquire one of those easily.

The easy solution to me seems to be run with Zucker-Blueger-Tanev and trade for a defensive 4C like Glendening, which gives you a ZAR-Glendening-Rodrigues 4th line. That seems to work really well to me, but Sullivan loves BART.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad