Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread|8 Days - TDL Being "Center" of Attention - PART II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Yes he would be. My player I said I would trade is Poulin and a 2nd. I also said I would do POJ and a 2nd but that is not my first choice. I said I would trade today for another Kapanen type player for Poulin and a 2nd. We will lose a forward in expansion no matter what whether it is McCann, Zucker, Tanev, or whoever so adding another forward still only loses one. Next year still would have this.

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Trade-Malkin-Kapanen
Zucker/McCann-Blueger-Tanev
ZAR-Zohorna-Angello
Lafferty, O"Conner, and maybe resign someone like Erod for the minimum again. This assumea one of Zucker and McCann gets chosen. Maybe they take someone else but no matter what this team is in a strong position cap wise with all important pieces returning. Not many contenders in a better spot than the Pens next season. So again you are way off.

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
Matheson-Friedman
Riikola-Ruhwedel
POJ

Jarry
DeSmith
Saying this over and over again doesn't make it true. They could very easily take CDS.

Even if they do take McCann, who is that trade? Using Rakell as a placeholder, signing Teddy to McCann's money, assuming ZAR doesn't get a raise (which is unlikely)....that team is $1.5M over the cap. If they take Tanev, great, they are only $1M over the cap. So other than hoping they take Zucker in the ED, tell me, how am I way off?

Reactions: Night Shift

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Right, but you're also proposing trading for another $3M+ contract on top of that.

The cap's not going up. I think that's a pretty safe assumption considering the entire league took a massive hit due to COVID.

Dumping Pettersson without taking on a contract is not likely. We just saw Ghost clear waivers who has more upside and a shorter (i.e. safer) contract.

Your right, I am proposing that. Not going to shy away from that. Love to use Poulin and a 2nd for another Kapanen type player for the top 6. Gives us the best chance to win the Cup this year and will be fine for the cap next season.

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Trade-Malkin-Kapanen
Zucker-McCann-Rodriguez
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

Gives us the best chance to win a Cup and you go for it when your core is still elite.

Team after expansion still has a great group to work with. They most likely take Zucker if exposed but maybe they take McCann instead. Either way we can still be fine for the cap.

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Trade player-Malkin-Kapanen
Zucker/McCann-Blueger-Tanev
ZAR-Zohorna-Angello
Lafferty, O'Conner, and another cheap UFA forward signed which could be Erod back.

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
Matheson-Friedman
Riikola-Ruhwedel
POJ

Jarry
DeSmith

Show me all the teams in a better cap spot? We are in a very strong position next season with all the big expensive spots signed. The player we most likely lose in expansion is going to be expensive whether they chose Zucker, McCann, or Tanev. If they do take DeSmith which I doubt will find a way to make it work. That would be a great problem to have all our forwards back. They will have fans in the seats and the new ESPN deal and the money from the expansion team each team gets so the cap will go up next year. No matter what I add now to help get this team it's best shot for a Cup. I will worry about the rest in the summer. Having too many good players won't be a problem.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It is a close call. I think this team does have enough to compete for a Cup when healthy but when that is the case most good GM's add to increase those chances. I am 100% sure that if this management group was willing to trade Poulin and a 2nd or POJ and a 2nd they would be able to add a very good top 6 forward in his prime with term. That is the same value that brought us Zucker and Kapanen. In fact most of our board said we vastly overpaid for Kapanen which I strongly disagreed with. I would take another Kapanen for Poulin and a 2nd right this second. When you have an aging core playing at a high level you don't bank your assets for the future. The future is now.

There's no cap space for a very good top 6 forward with term. There's not really any roster space in which to put the guy as we've got a full top 9, it's just about finding the right fit. Making that move would increase the risk of losing a very good player in expansion significantly. And most cup winning teams don't make major moves.

There's really not a lot of reason to do this right now that I'm seeing unless it is the absolutely perfect fit.

Also, it'd take next year's 1st, not the second.

Reactions: Night Shift

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
came in and expected to see chatter about picking up Gusev............there isnt...........Good :D

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
I want Bennett solely cause Brassard and his “playoff prowess” left a bad taste in my mouth. We need redemption.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
There's no cap space for a very good top 6 forward with term. There's not really any roster space in which to put the guy as we've got a full top 9, it's just about finding the right fit. Making that move would increase the risk of losing a very good player in expansion significantly. And most cup winning teams don't make major moves.

There's really not a lot of reason to do this right now that I'm seeing unless it is the absolutely perfect fit.

Also, it'd take next year's 1st, not the second.

Wrong on that. Poulin and this year's 2nd would get you a very good top 6. That is the same value we used for Zucker and Kapanen deals. Everyone on this board acted like we way overpaid for Kapanen. Poulin is equal to the 1st of those deals and the 2nd is equal to the prospect of those deals Addison in the Zucker deal and Hallander in the Kapanen deal. So you would not need your 1st. These boards can't have it both ways. One minute our fan base acts like we are paying too much to get players like Zucker and Kapanen then the next minute Poulin and a 2nd doesn't get us a top 6 like Kapanen????:huh:

We have the space to add a player like that with term. We are going to lose one anyways this summer to expansion. Doesn't matter if you add another forward because you are going to lose someone of near equal value either way. We can only protect 7 so it doesn't matter if I added Zucker to the list. If they take him over McCann I can live with that.

You go for the Cups when you got the contending team and I think we have that. Contenders do add and Tampa did last year as do most Cup winners. We added players for every Cup run of the Crosby era. 2008 we made the Cup Finals and added Hossa, Dupuis, and others. 2009 we added Kunitz, Guerin, and Gill off the top of my head and maybe more. 2016 we added Hagelin, Daley, and Lovejoy. 2017 we added Hainsey and Streit but of course kept the forwards intact since they won the Cup the year before. So yes real contenders do add. I don't know in what universe you came up with that crap. I don't think adding a Kapanen type top 6 is making a major move. Certainly not any more major than adding Hossa in 2008 or Guerin in 2009, or Hagelin in 2016, or Hainsey in 2017. Those teams added more than that and somehow adding a Kapanen equals major move?

Last edited:

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Looking forward to the ED, I think you end up exposing Zucker and McCann, with the understanding that if one gets claimed, the other is your top 6 LW. Next season, ideally, Poulin is ready for a middle 6 wing role to replace that loss, or alternatively if we lose Pettersson/Matheson then POJ steps in. Either way we reload and go.

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Zuck/McC - Malkin - Kapanen
Poulin - Blueger - Tanev
ZAR - 4C - Any one of like 10 candidates.

7F's protected: Guentzel, Crosby, Rust, Malkin, Kapanen, Blueger, Tanev.

Why would you ever protect Tanev over either of Zucker/McCann?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You go for the Cups when you got the contending team and I think we have that. Contenders do add and Tampa did last year as do most Cup winners. We added players for every Cup run of the Crosby era. 2008 we made the Cup Finals and added Hossa, Dupuis, and others. 2009 we added Kunitz, Guerin, and Gill off the top of my head and maybe more. 2016 we added Hagelin, Daley, and Lovejoy. 2017 we added Hainsey and Streit but of course kept the forwards intact since they won the Cup the year before. So yes real contenders do add. I don't know in what universe you came up with that crap.

I said at the deadline.

Hagelin, Daley, and Lovejoy weren't at the deadline.

You want to call stuff crap, actually read what's said and stop trying to play gotcha. Don't have time for that.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Looking forward to the ED, I think you end up exposing Zucker and McCann, with the understanding that if one gets claimed, the other is your top 6 LW. Next season, ideally, Poulin is ready for a middle 6 wing role to replace that loss, or alternatively if we lose Pettersson/Matheson then POJ steps in. Either way we reload and go.

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Zuck/McC - Malkin - Kapanen
Poulin - Blueger - Tanev
ZAR - 4C - Any one of like 10 candidates.

7F's protected: Guentzel, Crosby, Rust, Malkin, Kapanen, Blueger, Tanev.

Yeah that's about what you'd have to do, and Seattle probably takes McCann or maybe a longshot Petts. You really have to protect Blueger and Tanev with how they're used for us. I'd certainly explore what it would take to get them to take the Matheson, Zucker or Petts contracts off our hands. They may take a shine to one of those guys, they all have their selling points. Just for us, none is really worth the cap hit.

I'm not sold on Poulin being ready for much of anything next year, but you have ZAR who's looked pretty good this year, so keeping that line together really shouldn't be a negative.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
It’s gonna be pretty hilarious when Seattle takes CDS and all of our panic about the ED was for naught. :laugh: :naughty:

I think there will be better options available for Seattle. I looked at the capfriendly simulator a few weeks ago, for what it's worth, and there were some obvious choices there. Depending on what strategy they take, I can't see CDS being high on their list. I also think the MAF factor will play into their choices.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I said at the deadline.

You want to call stuff crap, actually read what's said and stop trying to play gotcha. Don't have time for that.
Technically, he did say he would do those deals tomorrow and the deadline isn't until April 12.

Gotcha.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I said at the deadline.

All those moves came near the deadline during the time teams added for the playoff push. No you are the one playing games. Really, so if we make the trade today Poulin and a 2nd for a Kapanen type player it is not the deadline either. So please spare me your crap. The point stands all Pens teams added key pieces near the deadline. Doesn't have to be deadline day. Just a ridiculous comeback. All my points still stand. You know I am right.

Making a trade midpoint of the season is a team going for the Cup. Rutherford loved to make his moves early about a month or so before the actual deadline. He was a master at striking early. Bottom line is all Pens Cup contenders added of the 4 Crosby Cup Finals teams did. Adding a top 6 now doesn't make it some crazy thing we haven't done on past Cup contenders. You literally just made that up.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Speaking completely objectively, the Penguins:

1. Do not have the cap space for a big name forward addition without trading money.
2. Do not have the assets available to acquire a big name forward, because Hextall has said Legare, Poulin and the 2nd are not available.
3. Do not have the roster spot/role available for a big name forward without trading a top-6 forward.

Idk maybe I'm making a mistake when talking about realistic moves, but nothing about trading futures for a top-6 forward is realistic. At best, it's a near 1 for 1 swap involving Zucker.

The OP won't even see this because he put me ignore because I'm a "pathetic loser who will never do what JR did" for saying JR did a bad job at the end of his Penguins tenure, but felt it was worthwhile to share regardless.

Reactions: pistolpete11

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Not really and no you are not.

How about actually putting down there incorrect stuff then?

All 4 Cup Finals teams added at the midway point to the deadline. That is a fact.

Poulin and a 2nd is in the same value range of what we gave up for Zucker and Kapanen. That is a fact.

We will lose a similar type forward or player even if we add another top 6 now. That is a fact. Going to lose a Zucker, McCann, or Tanev type. I have no problem if adding exposed Zucker and McCann instead of just McCann.

Those are my points I used to counter his. Prove any of those wrong.

I will be waiting.:D:popcorn:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

All 4 Cup Finals teams added at the midway point to the deadline. That is a fact.

Poulin and a 2nd is in the same value range of what we gave up for Zucker and Kapanen. That is a fact.

We will lose a similar type forward or player even if we add another top 6 now. That is a fact. Going to lose a Zucker, McCann, or Tanev type. I have no problem if adding exposed Zucker and McCann instead of just McCann.

Read Emps post above

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Every time someone does, you just hand waive it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad