Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread|8 Days - TDL Being "Center" of Attention - PART II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'm not sure ZAR/Angello even took shifts as C in WBS.

I would add that if you could get a C equal to Blueger so you can have two bottom six lines that are roughly equal, that'd be a good way to strengthen the team if the guy came cheap enough.

Again, maybe a false memory n' at, but I'm positive ZAR did a few times because of injury and when he was first brought in. But he doesn't regularly play there, no.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Again, maybe a false memory n' at, but I'm positive ZAR did a few times because of injury and when he was first brought in. But he doesn't regularly play there, no.

You could be right. For once, I don't care enough to look it up :laugh:

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
I haven't seen many suggestions for a 3C. Most are either suggesting a 4C or a 2LW and to move McCann to C full time.

I wouldn't get too caught in whether Blueger's line is listed as L3 or L4, though. Blueger is essentially being used exactly the same as he was last year (actually, less TOI and more dZS%). The only difference between labeling him L4 last year and L3 this year is he is producing more this year.
I don't like McCann as a C tho. He's better with less responsibility.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Positional listings are going the way of size and injury - vague.

Hockey isn't as bad as basketball (in any sense, in fact - sorry for the reference but it's what I've got) - met a lot of the Orlando Magic players in my time in Central Florida and the biggest offender was when Glen Davis was traded there - I saw him in Best Buy with his family buying a massive TV...dude was no more than 6'7" 240lbs. Think he was listed 6'10" that year. For the most part I trust the NHL but do wonder if some of the height and weights are completely fabricated.

RW/LW/C/LD/RD //G - ZAR

Oh the heights and weights are super fabricated, I'm sure. Anyhow, most forwards have played a bit of centre coming up through the development leagues, so it's not like they're complete novices there. I just found it funny that we could ice full forward roster of players who were officially "centres".

Reactions: molon labe

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
I've seen a couple people address my comments on Blugers saying it isn't about 3C/4C.

Maybe I didn't explain my position well enough.

If the goal is to get a player equal to or greater than Blugers, I don't like it. I think that player would be too expensive, and I think the assets used to acquire that player would be better used elsewhere. That's it. That's my position.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
McCann is better on the wing.
Under no circumstances is McCann a better 3C than Blugers.
Rodrigues shouldn't be in this lineup when the team is healthy.
Gusev is free for a reason.
Most of your lineup is bad.

When did I say McCann is a better Center than Blueger? I just got done praising Blueger as our answer we have been looking for since Bonino left as a UFA. I like McCann as a winger better also but am fine with that lineup I proposed. Will see how my proposed line does tonight because Sullivan has Zucker-McCann-Rodriguez as a line tonight. If that line works out it gives us two good 3rd lines along with two good 1st lines if we add a top 6 forward to the mix.

Just mentioned Gusev because he would be free and this management seems not willing to give up what it would take to get better. So I will take my shot with Gusev who was the Devil's 2nd best point producer last year only one behind the lead. Gusev also had the most 5v5 points on the Devil's last season so hard to say he was bad.

Also strongly disagree that Erod should not be in the lineup. I don't want him in my top 6 but I am fine with him in my bottom 6.

Last edited:

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
McCann is better on the wing.
Under no circumstances is McCann a better 3C than Blugers.
Rodrigues shouldn't be in this lineup when the team is healthy.
Gusev is free for a reason.
Most of your lineup is bad.

Erod has deserved a lot of our criticisms - for now he's fine even when we're healthy because he's playing his best hockey....now when he inevitably regresses that's another story. It's playing him with Geno that bothers me. Totally agree on McCann though - keep him away from the C position at whatever cost. He's a wing - and he has a shot that should be a focus of whatever line he plays. He'd be a good depth fit - similar to Kessel - with a Bonino/Hag type (Teddy/Tanev?)....though obviously Kessel had superior offensive instincts (but also costed twice as much).

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
McCann and Blueger are about equal in their role as a 3C. McCann has been at a 40+pt pace for over 120 games now with PIT.

His point pace doesn't mean he should ever see time as a 3C again though. Blueger is actually good defensively, behind the net, and at faceoffs. The jury might be out on his vision and offensive instincts (though he's shown glimpses) - but McCann was not a C no matter how much we wanted to pretend he could be.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
I had really high expectations for Nikita Gusev when he came over.

He's been such a disappointment.

I'm really not afraid GMRH will claim him; he doesn't fit the mold of his past teams or the description of the players he wants to acquire/how he wants this team to play.

But still.

Please don't.

Reactions: KIRK

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
McCann and Blueger are about equal in their role as a 3C. McCann has been at a 40+pt pace for over 120 games now with PIT.

I agree with this. McCann's versatility is why I am fine with either a winger or center added. I am fine going into the playoffs with a Zucker-McCann-Rodriguez as our second 3rd line. I think that line and the ZAR-Blueger-Tanev line would play pretty equal minutes. We just need one more addition to make it all work perfectly and being able to sit the whole 4th line.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
His point pace doesn't mean he should ever see time as a 3C again though. Blueger is actually good defensively, behind the net, and at faceoffs. The jury might be out on his vision and offensive instincts (though he's shown glimpses) - but McCann was not a C no matter how much we wanted to pretend he could be.

McCann played almost exclusively Center for the Panthers. He was a pretty decent 3C already. I like him better at wing also but if it is easier to add a good wing than a center I am fine with McCann being our option behind Crosby, Malkin, and Blueger.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I've seen a couple people address my comments on Blugers saying it isn't about 3C/4C.

If the goal is to get a player equal to or greater than Blugers, I don't like it. I think that player would be too expensive, and I think the assets used to acquire that player would be better used elsewhere. That's it. That's my position.

I guess my thing would be a decent 3C could be pretty cheap. Staal - not an ideal bottom 6 C, but the sort of quality level we're talking - was a 3rd + 5th. And having four strong lines would make a big difference.

Reactions: CrosbyMalkin

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I'd plan on running with McCann-ERod-Virtanen as the 3A line. Or you can slide McCann to center and have ERod on LW, either one works for me.

That's where he'd fit for this year and next year, and if Rust wants too much money and/or Virtanen shows he can be trusted in a higher role, you bump him up to the top-6 to replace Rust after next year.
I do like how McCann/ERod are alternating on faceoffs, dependent on side of the ice in order to always be taking them with their dominant side. Don't really care which one is listed as the C on the lineup card.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Do you have some examples of 3C's people have been suggesting that would be too expensive?

What would you spend those assets on instead?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

McCann is good defensively as well despite whatever narrative this board and Josh Yohe is trying to sell.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I guess my thing would be a decent 3C could be pretty cheap. Staal - not an ideal bottom 6 C, but the sort of quality level we're talking - was a 3rd + 5th. And having four strong lines would make a big difference.

I agree with this. I am fine with a wing or center addition though. Hextall stated he is not willing to trade top prospects so I am not expecting much help unfortunately. Growing to hate his hiring more by the minute. His work with the Flyers is exactly proving he is a good builder. Watched that team last night and they are pathetic.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I've noticed lately a very sharp uptick in the effort people are having to make to force narratives on players despite them being either half-truths or blatantly false.

It's like people want to discuss the meme of the player or the name rather than the actual play / on-ice results.

Reactions: Headshot77

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I agree with this. I am fine with a wing or center addition though. Hextall stated he is not willing to trade top prospects so I am not expecting much help unfortunately. Growing to hate his hiring more by the minute. His work with the Flyers is exactly proving he is a good builder. Watched that team last night and they are pathetic.

I realize I'm ignored by you and that's fine.

However: we don't need "more help." We need Sully to ensure that the team structure doesn't implode when big guns return, which is what happens like 75% of the time dating back to the Bylsma days.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I think all signs point towards Bennett.

Burke is familiar with him, he's a center, adds some abrasiveness. That doesn't mean it's a guarantee, but I think if the price is right, that's going to be their guy.

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
McCann - Malkin - Kapanen
Zucker - Bennett - Rodrigues
Aston-Reese - Blueger - Tanev

It's not perfect, but I think it's better than what they had back in August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad