Proposal: Pittsburgh - Ottawa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
OFF-SEASON TRADE

To Ottawa:
J. Zucker (1yr x $5.5m)

To Pittsburgh:
C. White (3yrs x $4.75m) - bought out at a cost of $875k/yr for 6yrs, or a total of $5.25m, carrying the following annual cap-hits: 1: $875k 2: $875k 3: -$625k 4: $875k 5: $875k 6: $875k

This is a simple deal of economics.

Ottawa gets a middle 6 winger with 1yr remaining, who is owed $5.2m in real salary, rather than needing to either commit to one for 3 more years and $15m or to buyout and search for a replacement via trade or buyout.

Pittsburgh unloads Zucker at minimal cost, spreads $3.75m caphit over 6 seasons rather than having a $5.5m caphit all next year, and gains room to re-sign their expiring players who are more important than Zucker.

Thoughts?

heisenbergsitti

Aug 23, 2021
Zucker would block any trade to Canada due to his home life, and him being an American player. No team is going to take on a worse contract, spread buyout over 6 years

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Zucker would block any trade to Canada due to his home life, and him being an American player. No team is going to take on a worse contract, spread buyout over 6 years

Damn, forgot about the NTC. You are probably right.

You don't think there are teams - especially contenders - who would rather spread a 3.75m caphit out over 6yrs, including one year of cap credit, than pay 5.5m caphit out over 1? In this flat-cap world, I really think you are wrong.

heisenbergsitti

Aug 23, 2021
Damn, forgot about the NTC. You are probably right.

You don't think there are teams - especially contenders - who would rather spread a 3.75m caphit out over 6yrs, including one year of cap credit, than pay 5.5m caphit out over 1? In this flat-cap world, I really think you are wrong.

No because teams value 1 year over risking 6 years of capspace. Hf is a fantasy so I get it, but it's not realistic

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
No because teams value 1 year over risking 6 years of capspace. Hf is a fantasy so I get it, but it's not realistic

I really don't think that's the case in a flat cap world. Pens have tons of impending UFAs and the 6yrs of cap is basically a player making minimum salary. They pay out 25% less cap over 6yrs than they would over 1yrs. I think you are vastly oversimplifying things.

heisenbergsitti

Aug 23, 2021
I really don't think that's the case in a flat cap world. Pens have tons of impending UFAs and the 6yrs of cap is basically a player making minimum salary. They pay out 25% less cap over 6yrs than they would over 1yrs. I think you are vastly oversimplifying things.

Teams rather keep, or trade a player whose expiring than have a cap hold much less for 6 years. No teams like hamstrung themselves; not even for 1 year. It's simply a fallacy to think any team would be willing to take risk of having a buyout affect them for 6 years . It's why you don't see this happen

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Teams rather keep, or trade a player whose expiring than have a cap hold much less for 6 years. No teams like hamstrung themselves; not even for 1 year. It's simply a fallacy to think any team would be willing to take risk of having a buyout affect them for 6 years . It's why you don't see this happen

You don't see it happen because the preconditions for it are extremely rare. Very few players have the buyout structure that White does.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
You don't see it happen because the preconditions for it are extremely rare. Very few players have the buyout structure that White does.

This and everything else he has said. Next year is going to be a challenge when it comes to resigns, geno. Letang. Rust, erod all are free agents and cap space needs to come from somewhere and it's a 875k per year for 6 years. That's a very small slice of the cap going forward for a team that isn't afraid to spend to the cap each year and needs that extra space open for this summer.

I'm sure if the pens can find a hockey trade for zucker that makes sense they'd do it. But they would def swap the space this summer for a minor cap hit for six years going forward.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Penguins say no to the buyout aspect of the proposal. If you want to talk Zucker for White straight up as in Penguins keeping him...there may be case. I imagine we'd want a little more swapping if we do that though.

Zucker+Pettersson for White+Mete?

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Penguins say no to the buyout aspect of the proposal. If you want to talk Zucker for White straight up as in Penguins keeping him...there may be case. I imagine we'd want a little more swapping if we do that though.

Zucker+Pettersson for White+Mete?

I don't really get why Pittsburgh would want to take on White @ 4.75m x 3.

We wouldn't take Pettersson without offloading Zaitsev.
This and everything else he has said. Next year is going to be a challenge when it comes to resigns, geno. Letang. Rust, erod all are free agents and cap space needs to come from somewhere and it's a 875k per year for 6 years. That's a very small slice of the cap going forward for a team that isn't afraid to spend to the cap each year and needs that extra space open for this summer.

I'm sure if the pens can find a hockey trade for zucker that makes sense they'd do it. But they would def swap the space this summer for a minor cap hit for six years going forward.

It's actually less than 875k per year for 6 years - its 875k for 5 years and one year (year 3) where the team gets a credit of 625k. Honestly I'm shocked so many people are against that minimal caphit for a team that is the epitome of win now and that will need to make some really tough decisions this summer regardless of whether they get rid of Zucker. To me, the realistic alternative seems like Zucker and a 2nd to AZ for nothing.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
OFF-SEASON TRADE

To Ottawa:
J. Zucker (1yr x $5.5m)

To Pittsburgh:
C. White (3yrs x $4.75m) - bought out at a cost of $875k/yr for 6yrs, or a total of $5.25m, carrying the following annual cap-hits: 1: $875k 2: $875k 3: -$625k 4: $875k 5: $875k 6: $875k

Ottawa gets a middle 6 winger with 1yr remaining, who is owed $5.2m in real salary, rather than needing to either commit to one for 3 more years and $15m or to buyout and search for a replacement via trade or buyout.

Pittsburgh unloads Zucker at minimal cost, spreads $3.75m caphit over 6 seasons rather than having a $5.5m caphit all next year, and gains room to re-sign their expiring players who are more important than Zucker.

Thoughts?
Why on earth?

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens have to see where they stand as to Letang and Malkin. then rust as to what can fit after that. For me, I do that deal as it is a hedge if Rust just is to costly and Pens can move Petts with a 3 year term after this season. Also getting White makes Kap a interesting offer as well.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
To have an extra 4.65m to sign Letang, Malkin, Rust, Rodrigues, Kapanen, a goalie, and 6 or 7 other roster players.

I get what you're saying but I just love this sentence.

An extra $4.65mil to sign (or help sign) to 12-13 players. Nice.

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
Im sure there are more offers that are better than a six year buyout for Zucker.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
No thanks! We are already dealing with JJ's long ass buyout. We have no interest in having another 6 year buyout to work through.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
OFF-SEASON TRADE

To Ottawa:
J. Zucker (1yr x $5.5m)

To Pittsburgh:

Thoughts?

What happened to White? Isn't he currently suffering from a long term injury?

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
What happened to White? Isn't he currently suffering from a long term injury?
Yup. He should still have a good career, I like him a lot and he seems to be a real glue guy... we just cant afford to risk paying him 4.65m for the next 3yrs when he no longer fills a pressing need/has little room for advancement. I was really rooting for him to re-establish himself coming into this season, but if he's gonna be a 35pt guy who isn't physical and just "good" defensively and with possession, it's a lot of money for a budget team.

I do absolutely think he will have a long and successful career... maybe not as a key player, but as a good depth guy at the very least who should have at least another several years as a pro. Potential is definitely still there for him to carve out a very good career and play a thousand games, hit 500 career points, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad