Rumor: Pittsburgh interested in Mangiapane and Wahlstrom

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd imagine Mangiapane would be based around a Rakell+ for Mangiapane swap, but it's hard to determine what that + would be because I honestly don't know if the extra term on Rakell's deal is a positive or negative.

Mangiapane is tough to evaluate because he had basically identical production to Smith last year, but everyone on here insists that Smith sucks and has zero value.

Edit: I'd backtrack on Rakell for Mangiapane, I think Rakell's extra term would be an issue. But I think a change of scenery swap between Smith and Mangiapane would absolutely make sense, I figure that would be the most likely outcome here if that were to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

Bond

May 10, 2012
Mangiapane would probably cost more than he is worth right now unless they are accommodating a trade request.
Flames are better off hoping he bounces back and get a 2nd with retention at the deadline versus taking a 5th or something right now

I'd imagine Mangiapane would be based around a Rakell+ for Mangiapane swap, but it's hard to determine what that + would be because I honestly don't know if the extra term on Rakell's deal is a positive or negative.

Mangiapane is tough to evaluate because he had basically identical production to Smith last year, but everyone on here insists that Smith sucks and has zero value.
I'd want a pretty decent plus if they are taking on Rakell

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Mangiapane would probably cost more than he is worth right now unless they are accommodating a trade request.
Flames are better off hoping he bounces back and get a 2nd with retention at the deadline versus taking a 5th or something right now

Yeah good point, I actually think the only swap here would be something around Smith for Mangiapane as both sides are gambling on getting better results from the two from last year.

Reactions: DaveG and Bond

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd pay a 2nd right now for Mangiapane, tbh. 2nd for Bread and a 4th or something?

Sure.

He's never waiving for Calgary though.

Uh, what are you smoking in here?

Mangiapane makes $5.8 million a year and is coming off 2 years of 40 points. Why would you pay a 2nd right now for him? Especially when you insist that Smith has negative value and the Penguins would have to retain money to even get out of his deal.

Reactions: Lustaf

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

Mangiapane makes $5.8 million a year and is coming off 2 years of 40 points. Why would you pay a 2nd right now for him? Especially when you insist that Smith has negative value and the Penguins would have to retain money to even get out of his deal.

Don't worry. Calgary isn't interested in another 32 year old with 4 years of term.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Okay? Smith doesn't have term left on his deal. Hence why I edited above and said that Smith for Mangiapane would make the most sense here.

I was clearly talking about Rust for Mangiapane which neither team would (or should) have an interest in for different reasons.

Smith for Mangiapane doesn't do anything for Calgary.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Wahlstrom can probably be picked off waivers in 3 months.
I don’t think so, he kind of gets a pass this season for coming back from a bad knee injury. Played scared a bit. I think he’d recover but the problem on the isles is that he doesn’t have a spot but I can’t imagine teams not ponying up assets for him.

If your a top five team in waiver order you may not but if your Pittsburgh do you really think he’s going to fall to you?

I think isles were interested in PO Joseph allegedly last year, wonder if Whally for PO was talked about

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I think people are underestimating Mangiapane here. He’s a high-energy winger that’s been used pretty much exclusively on Calgary’s shutdown line for like 5 years now. He has a sneaky good release on his shot and he could put up some good numbers next to an actual playmaker. I realize the stats aren’t encouraging and he’s probably overpaid, but he’s exactly the kind of player that Pittsburgh could use.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You gotta think Dubas has no clue what he's doing

The team is doing a soft rebuild without explicitly saying it.

Dubas is trying to keep the Penguins near a playoff team while rebuilding their awful prospect pool. They're not going to be spending any more 1sts on win-now pieces, they're going to be going for these kind of under the radar acquisitions while hoping they can outperform their contract or acquisition cost.

It's pretty much the same thing Washington is doing.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Part of the reason the Flames are moving Mangiapane is because they already have too many wingers. So getting another one in return is counter productive.

Getting a pick and/or prospect in return would be nice but Mangiapane's value also isn't all that high. Maybe a 3rd and a 6th type of thing.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Mangiapane's game isn't about his production. One year deal. Can easily recoup that 2nd if you choose not to re-sign him.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I don’t think so, he kind of gets a pass this season for coming back from a bad knee injury. Played scared a bit. I think he’d recover but the problem on the isles is that he doesn’t have a spot but I can’t imagine teams not ponying up assets for him.

If your a top five team in waiver order you may not but if your Pittsburgh do you really think he’s going to fall to you?

I think isles were interested in PO Joseph allegedly last year, wonder if Whally for PO was talked about
I think POJ would cost a bit more than Wahlstrom. Wahlstrom may be a waivers guy. POJ was paired with Letang down the stretch. Not saying he's worth THAT much more but I wouldn't do straight up.

Ty Smith would have been a good option but he's gone now. Straight up - Acciari, Bemstrom? Or else, probably looking at a 4th or 5th.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think people are underestimating Mangiapane here. He’s a high-energy winger that’s been used pretty much exclusively on Calgary’s shutdown line for like 5 years now. He has a sneaky good release on his shot and he could put up some good numbers next to an actual playmaker. I realize the stats aren’t encouraging and he’s probably overpaid, but he’s exactly the kind of player that Pittsburgh could use.
I think that's why they are interested. He might be in a similar spot as Guentzel was with Pittsburgh. Certainly a good player but being a UFA, are they going to want to commit the time and money to him given the current state of the team?

I think they try to slot him in with Sid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad