Dreger: Pittsburgh in on Brassard

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Sheary to Ottawa makes sense for 1 reason: optics. Let's be honest, which of these looks worse, the Penguins trading Sheary for futures or the Senators trading Sheary for futures? If Brassard is going to the Pwnguins, Sheary isn't going to be on either of these teams by the end. It makes more sense to me for a rebuilding/retooling team who doesn't have a history with Sheary to move him for picks than the contending team who won 2 cups with him to move Sheary for picks.

Edit: I'd also add that Sheary is much easier to trade than Hunwick, so you're stuck with Hunwick for surprisingly not much less money.

Last edited:

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I'm gonna be pissed if the Pens trade Sprong, Gustavsson, + 1st for Brassard.. Seems like a massive overpayment.
No players are coming off the roster. KIRK described this earlier: Are those assets going to matter when Sid and Geno are 35? The time to win is the next 2-3 years before Guentzel and Murray’s contracts are up.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yes your GM is not a rookie. Hes intelligent and will hold firm. Dorion is holding out hope a Columbus or the Blues step up their offer. I still suspect something gets done on Brassard there is a lot of incentive especially that bonus.

Yeah, Dorion has to do it at the deadline. The offers won't be as good at the draft, and there won't be a 'keep him' option with that bonus.

He knows that.

Rutherford knows that.

I don't see Doug Armstrong adding. He's old school like Rutherford.

I suspect Jarmo is the wildcard. His team is in a bind, but right now, I think that's cutting both ways . . . I'm not sure getting Brassard makes the playoffs a sure thing for Columbus, and if it doesn't, then I don't see him meeting Dorion's preferred price, do you?

Reactions: DJB

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
No players are coming off the roster. KIRK described this earlier: Are those assets going to matter when Sid and Geno are 35? The time to win is the next 2-3 years before Guentzel and Murray’s contracts are up.

I still think Sheary COULD come off IF JR grabs someone like Grabner or even Pouliot in a separate deal.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Yeah, Dorion has to do it at the deadline. The offers won't be as good at the draft, and there won't be a 'keep him' option with that bonus.

He knows that.

Rutherford knows that.

I suspect Jarmo is the wildcard. His team is in a bind, but right now, I think that's cutting both ways . . . I'm not sure getting Brassard makes the playoffs a sure thing for Columbus, and if it doesn't, then I don't see him meeting Dorion's preferred price, do you?
And then there was one team remaining . . .

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

He knows that.

Rutherford knows that.

Nope i dont see Columbus being a sure thing which makes me think it's going to come down to the Blues and Pens. Seems the Blues have a ton of irons in the fire all over the league and i suspect they go a different direction away from Brassard when push comes to shove.

I still feel in my heart that the Pens and Brassard are going to happen. Pens have been wanting a C for a while and i believe Sens covet some of your assets ( Gustafson, 1st round pick, Sprong etc). I hope we deal with you guys and ill be cheering you on for a 3rd straight Cup.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Penguins and Senators just make too much sense as trade partners.

I was really surprised when Pageau didn’t work out, but I’ll take Brassard over him.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006

I was really surprised when Pageau didn’t work out, but I’ll take Brassard over him.

Maybe good from your side... Sheary (3M for a not good player by many accounts), Hunwick (wrong side of 30 and not needed), Gustavsson (total unknown), Sprong (reports of attitude issues)...

Your 1st is the most desirable asset you have and it's going to be 31st overall.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

A few factors.

1. Money
2. The age difference between the two players ( Pageau fits rebuild better)
3. Pageau is our GM 3rd favorite player lol

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Maybe good from your side... Sheary (3M for a not good player by many accounts), Hunwick (wrong side of 30 and not needed), Gustavsson (total unknown), Sprong (reports of attitude issues)...

Your 1st is the most desirable asset you have and it's going to be 31st overall.

Or you could look at Sheary like a 25 year old top-9 winger who put up a 70 point pace last year, Gustavsson as a good goalie prospect who was stellar as the starter for Sweden in the WJC this year and Sprong as a PPG player in the AHL with a very high potential.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Or you could look at Sheary like a 25 year old top-9 winger who put up a 70 point pace last year, Gustavsson as a good goalie prospect who was stellar as the starter for Sweden in the WJC this year and Sprong as a PPG player in the AHL with a very high potential.

Would rather have Brassard than any of that, no matter how positive the light. Too many question marks.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I still think Sheary COULD come off IF JR grabs someone like Grabner or even Pouliot in a separate deal.

I don't even think they'd necessarily need a Grabner to replace Sheary if they had to move him in a deal for Brassard. With Brassard and without Sheary the line-up would probably be:

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Rust
ZAR-Brassard-Kessel
Kuhnackl-Sheahan-Reaves

Maybe they'd want some more speed on the 4th line, but that's a damn good top 9. If Sheary can be the main piece that brings in Brassard, then no way should he be considered untouchable by the Penguins.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Brassard is a 2nd line centre. Hes hasn't put up big numbers this year but so has the rest of the Sens team so its expected. Better to look at his entire body of work rather than judge him and his teammateson one poor one. Smart GMS will know this too

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't even think they'd necessarily need a Grabner to replace Sheary if they had to move him in a deal for Brassard. With Brassard and without Sheary the line-up would probably be:

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Rust
ZAR-Brassard-Kessel
Kuhnackl-Sheahan-Reaves

Maybe they'd want some more speed on the 4th line, but that's a damn good top 9. If Sheary can be the main piece that brings in Brassard, then no way should he be considered untouchable by the Penguins.

There's just one minor problem with that . . .

HINT: Crosby hasn't been comfortable playing with any of our RW's for more than a few games all year. He wants a speed guy on his RW. That's not Hornqvist. Rust never works. And, Phil . . . well, isn't it interesting that Phil never has played a full game on Sid's RW.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Pageau just seemed perfect.

I dont doubt he would look good for you guys. But we love the honey badger too!

Look no further than his huge 4 goal game against the Rangers last year. Pageau steps up when it matters most.

I also think that outside GMS possible perceived his cost to be cheaper than Brassard to acquire but its obviously not the case

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I dont doubt he would look good for you guys. But we love the honey badger too!

Look no further than his huge 4 goal game against the Rangers last year. Pageau steps up when it matters most.

I also think that outside GMS possible perceived his cost to be cheaper than Brassard to acquire but its obviously not the case
Yeah ... it takes two GMs to make a trade.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Brassard is a 2nd line centre. Hes hasn't put up big numbers this year but so has the rest of the Sens team so its expected. Better to look at his entire body of work rather than judge him and his teammateson one poor one. Smart GMS will know this titoo

Here's what I look at . . .

78 career playoff games

55 career playoff points (22g, 33a)

Of those points, 38 at ES (19g, 19a)

I see a guy with the skillset and speed to be PERFECT with Kessel.

And, I see a 60 point plus regular season player who only has dropped in production because he's in Guy Boucher's system . . . and EVERYONE takes a monster production hit in Guy Boucher's system.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

78 career playoff games

And, I see a 60 point plus regular season player who only has dropped in production because he's in Guy Boucher's system . . . and EVERYONE takes a monster production hit in Guy Boucher's system.

Bingo.

Its so nice to converse with another level headed poster of another team who looks at the whole picture and sees things objectively .

Thanks Kirk!

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017

78 career playoff games

but but but NHL 18 GM Mode told me that Sprong, Gustavsson, 1st is a huge overpayment for Brassard! :sarcasm:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Bingo.

Its so nice to converse with another level headed poster of another team who looks at the whole picture and sees things objectively .

Thanks Kirk!

You kidding me. I'm old enough to remember Brassard as a Ranger BURYING the Pens in the playoffs TWICE.

12 career playoff games against the Pens . . . 9 points (7g, 2a).

:thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad